06-07 Varsity Basketball

Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Gwen, thanks for the update. I have been painting since 6:30AM (Saturday). I took breaks for lunch and dinner and I just got done with our family room downstairs... wood paneling. 2 Coats of Kilz primer and 2 coats of paint.

Anyhow, as I was finishing up the 2nd coat of paint, I wondered to myself as to whether or not you would post an update! Thanks again. It sounds like the boys got their act together. That is good. I couldn't believe KWAL didn't air the game. Anyway, I did get to watch/listen to the Gonzaga game and the WAZZU game so I still got a dose of basketball.

Fisherrock, which game did you attend? My guess is Gonzaga. I can't believe how the Cougs lost... what a heartbreaker.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Simon Miller wrote:Fisherrock, which game did you attend? My guess is Gonzaga. I can't believe how the Cougs lost... what a heartbreaker.
I actually didn't attend either game Golf Coach. I know that is unlike me... LOL. I watched both games on the ol' tube. That WSU game was a heart-breaker. They had it won if Brooks wouldn't have banked in that 40 footer and that dude wouldn't have made those 2 pressure free throws... The Cougs showed a tremendous amount of heart though after being down 10 points in overtime and still getting it down three and having two shots to tie the game... That was one of the better games I have seen in awhile, just a bummer they were on the short end of the stick...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Here's a quick update after the games last night:
The KHS boys played a decent first half at Lakeland and when into the lockerroom tied at 22-22. The second half was a different story and they ended up losing the game 62-42. Lakeland had a couple of big boys who penetrated under the basket quite well (we've done the same thing with Josh and/or Seth many times this season). They also pressed quite well and we had difficulty breaking that press. We just weren't playing up to our potential again last night. :(
The girls, on the other hand, had a better game. It was senior night for the girls and I (and several other parents) was highly disappointed that the boys had an away game scheduled on the same night! :( My dad reported that our girls were up 32-15 at half time and ended up the game 53-29, I believe (my memory is not what it once was). He also said there was a rather classy moment at the end of the game that brought tears to nearly everyone in the crowd. With 30 seconds left in the game, Coach Bourgard put Sarah Priest in the game, positioning her under our basket (but not in the key, of course). I guess the St. Maries girls didn't even try to stop the pass to her as she shot her final basket at Andrews. She was injured early in the season in a game against Potlatch. She's since had surgery on her knee and is wearing a very large brace. I wish I could have been there to see that.
That's the basketball news from Kellogg. The boys will be traveling to Priest River Thursday night to make up the game that was cancelled on the 20th. The girls will be heading to the district tournament this weekend. I know we have a game Saturday night, I'm not sure about Friday.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Thanks for the update Gwen.

I have to comment on Sarah Priest's last basket at KHS. That was simply one of the most touching and classy moves I have ever seen in sports. It was really awesome of Coach Bogie to do it, but I also want to say that the St. Maries coach and players were also involved. They were losing handily in an important league game, but they put it all aside and complied with Coach Bogie's wish to give Sarah a basket. When Sarah checked in, I assumed she would just stand on the court and get "playing time," but as the play developed, I saw the St. Maries girl who was guarding Sarah, back off totally and as they passed her the ball, she turned and put made the basket and immediately broke down in tears. I swear all the St. Maries girls wanted to stop and congratulate her, but there was still time on the clock so they played on.

Regardless of where the girls end up this year, that will be the highlight of the season for me. After the game several fans from Kellogg approached the St. Maries coach and thanked him. I don't know this guy, but he is a class act that understands the spirit of competition and participation.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Okay, I don't even know Sarah Priest, but I'm crying.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Laurie Roberts wrote:Okay, I don't even know Sarah Priest, but I'm crying.
Yep. I feel the same way. The more I think about it, the more this moves up as one of my favorite KHS sports moments. I hope it carries over to the district tournament and gives the girls perspective to play with passion and class, no matter what the score or situation.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That sounds like a real, special moment... Very cool...

Keep us updated on District Tournament games and when/where they are going to be.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Simon Miller wrote:I hope it carries over to the district tournament and gives the girls perspective to play with passion and class, no matter what the score or situation.
That's a great bottom line right there Coach Miller. I think the play showed a great amount of class and respect from all involved on the St. Maries side and definitely from Coach Bourgard.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The girls will take on Priest River Saturday night at 6pm at NIC (#2 seed vs. #3 seed). Thankfully, there are no boys games scheduled that day! I'm still ticked about missing the girls game last night! :(
I hope some of you will be able to make the game Saturday!
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks for the update Gwen. I will see if I can make it.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

My husband just called from Priest River. The Wildcats won 40-38. Our C-team beat their C-team by 10, our JVs lost to their JVs by 20. It was, apparently, a close game all along for the Varsity. He called at half-time when the score was 21-20 PR. He also said Adam Furlin injured his ankle, but that he was walking on it, so I hope it's not something serious. Unfortunately, that's all the news I have as I was unable to attend tonights game due to illness.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Wow... that sounds like a defensive battle. Not the kind of game PR likes! That is great news Gwen. That is a very good road win for the boys. Tough trip, but they pulled it off.
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Thanks, Gwen. I'm sure you must have been ill, to have missed that game. I'm sure the PR gym was crazy, too. The Spartan crowd is the only one I've ever seen receive a yellow card (volleyball equivalent to a technical).
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Laurie Roberts wrote:Thanks, Gwen. I'm sure you must have been ill, to have missed that game. I'm sure the PR gym was crazy, too. The Spartan crowd is the only one I've ever seen receive a yellow card (volleyball equivalent to a technical).
LR, this is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. 1. I didn't know that is how volleyball did it (yellow card) 2. I didn't know the PR crowd managed to figure out a way to get one at a v-ball match.

That is some good stuff right there! ha ha. :o
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Don't get me started...whoops, too late... on the difference in decorum expectations for volleyball and basketball coaches. I also got my only yellow card at PR. I stood, took one step forward and said in my polite way, "Wasn't that a carry?" Out came the yellow card. What? Later on the ref told me I stepped across the line (not onto the vball court, mind you, but across the bball court line). Bball coaches are a little more fun to watch.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Boy, they sure didn't let you get away with much up there Laurie. LOL. I've seen many of basketball coaches riding the refs all night long and don't even get T'd up.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Big win for the Lady Wildcats tonight. They looked pretty good vs. a tough PR team. They led most of the game at times running the lead to double digits. PR came out hot in the 2nd half and scored 8 straight points to pull within 1 or 2 before the cats regained their composure and put PR away. The last 4 minutes the Cats ran their "flex" continuous offense, as PR was forced out of their zone D and they were able to burn a lot of clock without turning the ball over. In fact, you could just see the wind go out of PR's sails the last 3 minutes. It was a most impressive finish.

I like our chances against BF on a neutral court. If the girls play like they did tonight, they will beat Bonners. I hope Fisherrock and Roops can make it Tuesday night at 7:30 for the CHAMPIONSHIP game! It has been a while since we have been in that situation!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

It was a great win last night! I wish I could be there Tuesday. :( Unfortunately, the boys will be playing St. Maries at Andrews and I'm working the gate. So, I'll just have to wait and hear what happens after the fact. Perhaps KWAL will air it? I don't know if I even have a portable radio any more. ;)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I am sure KWAL will air the game. I have a special school board meeting at 5 that night. I will be high-tailing it out of there to get to the game.
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Thanks for the report, Coach and Gwen. I tried to stay up late enough for the report last night, but I had to settle for checking in first thing this morning. I'm so glad to hear the girls have a shot at the title, and a shot at by-passing the long road to state that they took last year.