Baseball Fever

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

lol, no worries - i've run in to some bad luck with injuries. I'm just trying to close the gap.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Casey Fisher wrote:Here are my Division winner & Wildcard predictions for the 2007 Season.

AL East – NY Yankees
AL Central – Minnesota
AL West – Oakland
AL Wildcard – Boston

NL East – NY Mets
NL Central – St. Louis
NL West – L.A. Dodgers
NL Wildcard – Philadelphia
Well, I didn't do so well on my predictions the week before the season started. In the American League I got 2 of the 4 teams correctly, but got Boston and New York in the wrong order. In the National League the only team I got correctly was the Phillies, but had them as the Wild Card and not the East Champs.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Jason Spoor wrote:AL East - Toronto Blue Jays - yes I said it!
AL Central - Detroit Tigers - Twins won't have Liriano to team with Santana
AL West - Oakland A's - Don't count out the M's, I think they have the 2nd best starting rotation in the West
AL Wildcard - Boston Red Sox - Ol' George aint gonna be happy in '07

NL East - Atlanta Braves - New ownership is now in place and they'll be back in form
NL Central - St. Louis Cardinals - probably the worst division in baseball despite the Cubs offseason effort
NL West - Los Angeles Dodgers - Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.
NL Wild Card - New York Mets - Offense, Offense, Offense.
Roops' predictions were even worse than mine. The only team he got right out of both leagues was Boston, but he had them as the wildcard winner and not the AL East Champs.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Mike Nordin wrote:AL West-Mariner's, I'll dark horse this one
AL Central-Indians
AL East-Boston-I think the hype is for real
AL Wild Card-Minnesota-If Mauer can get it together.

NL West-Padres-They've worked hard over the years, they're due.
NL Central-Cards, That's for you D.K.
NL East-Mets
NL Wild Card-Dodgers-I think you could flip the Padres and Dodgers either way.

World Series-Dodgers vs. Indians
I have to give Nords the win out of our three predictions. He only got 2 out of the 8 teams compared to my 3 out of 8, but he nailed the two Division winners on the money and I didn't. Congrats Nords. You nailed Cleveland and Boston as the Division Champs. And if it wasn't for a 13th inning miracle comeback off of Trevor Hoffman last night, you would have had the Padres in the playoffs. You also were the only one out of the 3 of us to throw a World Series in there and you had the Indians which can still come true...
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Jason Spoor wrote:AL East - Toronto Blue Jays - yes I said it!
AL Central - Detroit Tigers - Twins won't have Liriano to team with Santana
AL West - Oakland A's - Don't count out the M's, I think they have the 2nd best starting rotation in the West
AL Wildcard - Boston Red Sox - Ol' George aint gonna be happy in '07

NL East - Atlanta Braves - New ownership is now in place and they'll be back in form
NL Central - St. Louis Cardinals - probably the worst division in baseball despite the Cubs offseason effort
NL West - Los Angeles Dodgers - Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.
NL Wild Card - New York Mets - Offense, Offense, Offense.
Roops' predictions were even worse than mine. The only team he got right out of both leagues was Boston, but he had them as the wildcard winner and not the AL East Champs.
Not cool man
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

The Major League Baseball Season is officially a success!!! The Yankees will not win the World Series again this year. I do feel bad that Joe Torre may lose his job over this as he is a class act and is one of the Yankees that I respect, but that is the way of the Monster that is the Yankees. No World Series = No Job...

Arizona, Colorado, and Cleveland are all underdog teams to a certain extent and I wouldn't mind either of the 3 of them win it. However if Boston won it, that would stick another dagger in the Yankees sides so maybe it would be cool to see them win it again...
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I loved seeing all those empty seats in the 8th.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Hey Casey, you forgot the whoooooooo!!! at the end of your Ric Flair quote!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Hey Casey, you forgot the whoooooooo!!! at the end of your Ric Flair quote!!!
Good call Ken. I will add it in.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Alright folks. Here are my ALCS/NLCS & World Series predictions. Please add yours as well...

Indians over Red Sox in 6 games
Rockies over Diamondbacks in 6 games

Cleveland Indians win World Series in 5 games...

World Series MVP - Grady Sizemore
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Actually I'd have to say ditto, except Carmano Faustino MVP
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I might have to disagree with you Casey

I say the Rockies in 6 over the Indians and Todd Helton for MVP

Haha, just have to be contradictory around here, haha
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I'm surprised you both agree with me for the most part. I thought I was going out on a limb picking the Indians over the Red Sox. 98% of the experts have the Bo Sox in the World Series, if not winning it all...
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

First, the Indians don't seem like an "evil empire" with the spending and the Indians seem more like a "real" baseball "team".
Second, I picked the Indians to win it all at the beginning of the season so I think I should stick with it.
Third, I was at the game where the M's swept the Bosox and to be quite honest, I wasn't too impressed. I think the tribe can take them, even if it ends in game seven.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Holy Cow!!! 21 wins out of 22 games for the Colorado Rockies!!! They are in the World Series!???!?! The term "Rocky Mountain High" has never been so meaningful as it is now... And games 3, 4, & 5 of the World Series will be played in Coors Field.

The only thing that will maybe cool them down will be the 8 days off they will have until the World Series starts.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Yea, it is pretty amazing this roll they are on! I am still picking them 4-2 over the Indians or whoever gets in there, cant count the Sox out yet. But there is one other thing that could cool them down, and that is an early Snow Storm rolling thru Denver, the Rockies have never played baseball this late in the season, so the chances of snow there go up big time. And they can get some hellacious snow storms thru that area.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That would be something having the World Series in the snow. They'd have to break out the fluorescent orange baseballs.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

now that would be cool, LOL. i want to see the snow fly during a game and them have to play in it like a rain storm, hahaha
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I just read that Joe Torre rejected a one-year deal to come back and manage the New York Yankees. This makes me so happy!!! Despite my disliking for the Yankees, I have all the respect in the world for Joe Torre. He is a class act and a wonderful manager. I am happy that he took a stand and told Steinbrenner to take a hike. Nobody should have to endure what Torre did with his boss telling him he will be fired if they don't to this and that during the last few seasons or if they don't come back and win a series, etc. Good for Joe Torre. If he decides to manage again, whatever team he goes to will have a quality human being and a heck of a manager...

Now, hopefully this will be the domino effect and A-Rod will leave, Rivera will sign elsewhere, and Pettite will retire. I would love to see them crumble in the next few years. Although they'll probably just buy the best two or three free agents next season anyways and just re-load since there is no salary cap in baseball.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

They can buy however many players they want, they have proven u cant buy a championship, especially with these egos these days. i agree with you wholeheartedly Casey, i also hope it is a dominoe effect. A-rod going to Anaheim wont be any better as i hate them also. We will see what happens. I am already tired of hearing about Torre this and Torre that, ESPN is treating him like a God and he is far from it. He was in a good situation and prospered, but i dont think it makes him a better manager than any of the other greats. Tony Larussa has been very consistent thru the years with lesser Talent and Bobby Cox has done the same thing, and those guys are doing it with a much smaller payrole. I am glad someone took a stand against Steinbrenner also, all he does is bully all of his employees, Billy MArtin and Reggie Jackson come to mind when i think of that. STeinbrenner finally needs to give up the reigns and let someone else take over, but if he doesnt, then all the better for all of us Yankee haters!!!