Sheldon McLain 1970-2007, KHS Class of 1989

A place to pay tribute and honor to those beloved KHS Grads who have gone before us.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Sheldon McLain 1970-2007, KHS Class of 1989

Post by Simon Miller »

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I report this. I wouldn't have even known if a colleague didn't ask me if I knew Sheldon and if I was aware of what happened to him. I am in shock and disbelief at the news. Apparently Sheldon was fatally injured last Thursday in an auto accident in Havre Montana.

Sheldon was one of the most talented athletes in KHS history. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Last edited by Simon Miller on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

This is unbelievably sad and tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends as well. Growing up watching him play basketball when I was a youngster he was a "hero" of mine and he always will be. Heaven is now a better place with him in it.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I'm speechless.

I have a lot of memories of Sheldon, but I think for those who remember him we will all remember his "4-God" written on his basketball shoes.

No question as to where he is now!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I just wanted to add my condolences to Sheldon's family. I too have vivid memories of watching him play bball at KHS. He also had an amazing singing voice.

So long Sheldon.
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

I'm holding up 4 fingers.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:I'm holding up 4 fingers.
It is funny, that is one of the first memories (holding up four fingers when he would score symbolizing "4 God") that came to my mind when I took a moment to remember Sheldon. I know he took a lot of heat for that gesture, but it takes on a whole new meaning now. I never got to know Sheldon too well, but IMO he was one of the finest athletes to ever grace the halls of KHS and Andrew's Gymnasium. And you are right Coach Roberts, he had a golden voice as well. Didn't he sing "Forever Young" at his graduation? Either that or he was the one that picked it to be played. I also remember that pretty vividly.

He was also a coach and staff member of NBC for many years. I know he will definitely be missed by all.

I am still in utter shock and disbelief over this whole thing. You never know when your time is up here on earth people. Live each day to its fullest and enjoy life.

I will be posting a few tribute pictures tomorrow after our golf tournament.

Rest in eternal piece Sheldon. My prayers are with all friends and family.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

My thoughts and Prayers go out to Sheldons family. I remember growing up in Kellogg and during our Junior High years playing basketball against him, Keith, Brad cougher and Jeff Kendrick, those are wondeful memories i have. Sheldon was a great person and will be missed. My brother Brian saw him a couple years ago playing in a Spring tournament in Boulder Montana where we graduated. Brian talked to him in great length. After all these years away from Kellogg and Brian seeing him there was really nice. They both asked how their brothers were doing and all that conversation stuff that goes along. Very sad to hear of Sheldons passing, he will definitely be remembered!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

Unbelievable. I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers to his family. What a loss.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Chris Christopherson

Post by Chris Christopherson »

This is so sad.
My best b-ball memories are of our Kellogg FAB-FIVE playing like they were college studs. Those teams were amazing and Sheldon was a good part of that. My only trip to State to watch Kellogg play basketball was that year we were going to win it all. That was such a neat experience.
I lived up fairway heights during those years, just up the street from Keith and Sheldon, and spent a few times visiting with them over the summers.
Sheldon was a nice kid and I'm sure the same as an adult.
I'm also very sad to hear that he was recently married with children who now have to go on without him.
My heart goes out to all the family and I am glad we have this site so all of us can give him a little bit of remembrance.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Very well said Chris.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

The first dunk that I ever saw in person came from Sheldon. It was a rebound put back off a fast break, the crowd at Andrews went absolutely bezerk. That was with Cougher, Kendrick, James, and I think Hendricks. I am shocked to hear this tragic news as well. As Golf Coach said every day needs to be lived to the fullest. I remember that dunk like it happened last week and during the years that I played in Kellogg I thought about it often.

Years later I was at the pinehurst park playing bball and Sheldon was there with what must have been his girlfriend at the time. I remember thinking about that dunk and how cool Sheldon was because of it and here he was sitting on a bench next to a water fountain.
"Your imagination is a preview of life's coming attractions."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great memory and story Rimdancin. You and me both as kids used to view Kellogg High School Varsity Basketball players like they were the L.A. Lakers.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Guys, I am still working on scanning some images for a nice tribute here... I will get to it the next chance I have.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Remember the Pep Assembly when the B-Ball team put on a slam dunk competition? Sheldon went baseline, reached up and grabbed the lowest bar holding the back board to the wall, swung around to one hand the dunk. It was creative and awesome!
Another tidbit, Sheldon, when I was in 7th and he was in 8th, gave me my first major smack down in football, in practice, for the Pinehurst Cardnals. After just flat out crushing me (for basically not finishing the play) he reached down and helped me up. A great lesson...on both ends.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Excellent stories plu...

Golf Coach, thanks for still working on the tribute.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Great Stories guys. I remember Sheldon being one of the most sportsmanlike individuals i ever came across. One thing i wish i was able to do, was play high school bball with Cougher, Sheldon, Kendrick, James, and Keith. When i was in Junior High i couldnt wait to be on Varsity and then we ended up having to move away just before my freshman year.
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

I might be mistaken, but didn't Sheldon win both the 3 point and slam dunk contests at the allstar game in Mullan. What a gentleman, athlete and sportsman....such a loss.
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I think you're right about that, Mike. I know I was there, and that definitely rings a bell with me. That's a pretty amazing feat with that crew to compete with.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

He won them both. It made me want to be a Wildcat baller even more.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Memory #2,
Sorry to all you Kellogg kids, this is a Pinehurst moment, Sheldon was part of the "taking down the wall" party in the east little league field at Pinehurst El. Unfortunatlely he, along with half of the class of 89' from pinehurst during their 6th grade run, got, I believe, pink slips for it.

Recap,...the class of 89' from Pinehurst during their 6th grade year (my 5th) dissmantled the little league outfield wall during afternoon recess.

Why.....It was there.