David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

Come here to discuss everything from Yanni to Megadeth!

Which Van Halen lead singer/music do you prefer?

David Lee Roth
56%
Sammy Hagar
44%

Total votes: 9

Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

Post by Casey Fisher »

When you think of Van Halen, do you think of their music with David Lee Roth as lead singer, or do you think of their music with Sammy Hagar as the lead singer. Which era did you like better? This is a very good debate that I had with a co-worker.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Sammy.

It's a very good debate that I think every music fan has an opinion on. I was actualy discussing a somewhat similar one with a co-worker today. Which Black Sabbath was better - Ozzy Sabbath or Dio Sabbath. I prefer the Dio Sabbath myself.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I haven't been posting much lately but I couldn't let this one go by. First of all, Ozzy...just because he's Ozzy, oh and Iron Man.
Second, before I answer this what did your co-worker say?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I am a big fan of both Van Halen eras. I like many songs from both lead singers. However, when I think of Van Halen, I think of David Lee Roth. He was the original singer and he rocked it out. Their 1984 album is one of the greatest albums of the rock era and their song "Jump" is one of my all-time favorite songs along with one of the great "Sports Anthems" of all time. My vote is for David Lee Roth.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

well I agree with you that Jump is a great song I also like Hot For Teacher and Panama, but I still say Sammy Hagar. I think that Right Now is a better sports theme than Jump. One of my favorite songs of all time is Love Comes Walking In.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Do any of you guys remember back in the early 80s after the varsity basketball games, "Jump" was played over the sound system??? I remember that vividly
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Do any of you guys remember back in the early 80s after the varsity basketball games, "Jump" was played over the sound system??? I remember that vividly
I remember this vividly as well Ken. It used to get me super pumped up as a little tike. They also used to play it when the football team ran onto the field...

I prefer to think of Van Halen as David Lee Roth. I think of Sammy Hagar as Van Hagar. They were basically two separate bands.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

Two words... "Atomic Punk" 8)
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Matt Morgan wrote:Two words... "Atomic Punk" 8)
Good call.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I liked VH since the W&C 1st album. Since then I have aquired all there CD's and a couple of their bootleg albums. People who know me know how much I like Eddie and crew. Anyway, I never have seen them as two bands. If you listen closely to both Sammy and David they do have the exact same vocal ranges. I think that is why Sammy worked. However, they did have style differences, David is more Punk/blues, and Sammy is more pure rock/hard rock. But both bands had Eddie, Alex, and Michael (who by the way plays with Sammy's band now). I find myself leaning towards one or the other depending on what mood I'm in, both are great and both should be included in the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame.
By the way, 5150 is the New York police code for maniac on the loose, VH when they opened for Black Sabbath had more attendies than SB, hence they got kicked from that tour, and the Father Van Halen (Jan Van Halen) was the Clarinet player on the Diver Down album (and since Wolfgang is playing bass for the band now that makes 3 generations of VH to play in the band).
Also, I know I'm boring you guys, when the brothers were first learning to play Eddie was the drummer and Alex was the stringman but Eddie picked the guitar and started out playing Alex so they switched.

Lastly, but a very important point, any real VH fan does not recognize that album with the third singer (freak of nature) Sharone (sp, but who really care anyway).

Morg, listen to the Mean Streets song on the Fair Warning album, probably their darkest album.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Excellent, in depth analysis plu troll...

I think that Eddie Van Halen is the greatest electric guitar player of all-time...
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

Mike-

Mean Streets is in my top 5 VH songs. It rocks completely. On a side note, in the song Panama when it slows down and says "Reach down between my legs, and ease the seat back". I know myself and one other person that is a member of this site thought they were saying "Reach down between my legs, and ease the sea bag (nut sack)". I can't tell you how many times I listened to that and laughed, and was soooo sad when I think my sister pointed out to us what they were really saying, and called us idiots.

Oh well, to be young again. :lol:
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

LOL, Morg!
It reminds of that commercial on tv of those guys getting the words to songs wrong. How many people used to think "Blinded by the light...Wrapped up like a D******" in stead of Duce.
Gentry Woolman

Post by Gentry Woolman »

Ya gotta love David Lee Roth as being the original Van Halen lead singer - he had some great songs, but anyone who went to "Monsters of Rock" or has seen any "Van Hagar" concert, knows there is no contest here. Sammy starts out with some classic Van Halen hits, rockin 'em all, then moves right into the Van Hagar and onto some classic Sammy - very cool!! No contest at all, guys, Sammy can rock any Van Halen song whether it's his or David Lee Roth's - he's just awesome!!
Class of '89
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Do any of you guys remember back in the early 80s after the varsity basketball games, "Jump" was played over the sound system??? I remember that vividly
I just found this thread. Wow, awesome contributions everyone. Of all the people I have ever known, the first person I would ask the Hagar vs. DLR question is Nords. He is the one that got me listening to Van Halen. Well, he and Blaine Peterson/Joe Covill. :lol:

Which brings me to my point. Ken, back in the early 80's that "Jump" you heard was live and was played by Blaine Peterson and Joe Covill. They were awesome musicians and they completely rocked that song note for note. For a two man gig, they could bring it. They are both good musicians to this day.

Thanks for the Van Halen info Nords. That stuff is far from boring.

lol Morgan. I can't think of how many lyrics I had wrong as a kid. First because I was too young to get the lyrics, then later on, because of plain old misinterpretation. Perhaps this could be a topic for another thread. I am sure we all had or own version of lyrics!
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Good point there Simon, this is anything but boring. I didn't know about the 3 generations of VH, that's some pretty good info Mike. I do like the VH with DLR but have no problems with Sammy being part of it either, I think he did them justice. I saw them in Vegas in '96 and they still put on a great show even after all these years.

And I agree with you Mike, about the 3rd singer for VH, although I did enjoy him in the group Extreme (but only their 1st album before the famous "more then words" album.).

Mike, not that I know you that well, but you got a wealth of knowledge about music. I'm impressed, I thought I was the only one that read up on that kind of stuff.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Thanks, I get it from my Dad and my brother. My Dad loves music, he owned the Outback in Osburn for about 13 years and we DJ'ed dances at the schools. He's into techno, wave, space music, and classic rock, but keeps up on everything. My brother is a big 70's -80's guy. So by the time I was about 12, not only growing up in it, I started working at the Outback and doing dances with Dad. One of the requirements was to read Rolling Stones mag and Spin. Keeping up on it just stuck.
Good call on Extreme! The one song I always really like was "play with me" off the Bill and Ted's album. Quick, jamming guitars and fast action vocals. They should have just stuck with that sound.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Oh, by the way Mike, I played football with you a couple of years. I graduated in 90. Unfortunately my Jr. year I was still only 120lb so I didn't get much playing time.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

I remember you Mike, I know I'm getting old, but my alzheimer's hasn't kicked in completely. I remember you dad too, use to goto the outback all the time.

That song is on the 1st Extreme cd, there's a song called "Kid Ego" that's pretty good too. I would have enjoyed them more if they would have stuck to their original sound as well.

I still try to keep up on music but not as much as I did in high school. Music was fun back then, about getting the girls, partying and just having fun. It's rare in today's music to find anyone singing about that anymore.