Hargrove

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Hargrove

Post by Simon Miller »

Wow. The M's win 7 straight and Hargrove resigns? He said his passion was fading. Anyone else buying this?
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I know sib, what a shocker! I'm worried that there is something going on behind the scenes. Maybe some trade have been suggested, like Ichiro, and Hargrove, who has worked hard at putting this team together, is just sick of it. It's probably another Bavasi crap move!
Anyway, I'm sad to see him go. I hope the M's keep going at least through the All star break so they can refocus after this. They have to win the games they should, like KC, and then win at least 2-3 against the A's.
Oh, I was at the game where the M's swept the Red Sox. It was awesome! I was yelling and taunting the Bo sox fans and then when we won I was sweeping my hat in front of them. NOT IN OUR HOUSE BOYS!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

OK, I watched the interview with Hargrove and I don't think that there is anything "sinister" going on now. Hargrove just looked tired. Anyway, I'm sad to see the slip they are having under new management. What do you guys think. I just hope they can win the last one with KC and then take at least 2-3 against the A's.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

As I type this, the Mariners are winning 4-0 in the 5th inning. Hopefully they will hold on and like you said plu, take two out of three vs. Oakland. That would be a great way to go into the all-star break.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Pat Cole

Mariners' wins

Post by Pat Cole »

Well, Mike, it looks like you may get your wish with the wins for the Mariners before break. :lol: Did you see the fight during today's game? Just heard that two players were ejected, one Athletic and one Mariner. If they keep their cool, they will take today's game.
Persistence: The ability to overcome obstacles along the way.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Ya, the M's closed 17 game above .500, 1.5 back in the wild card, and 2.5 back in the west. Sounds like Ichiro will sign a 5 year deal and he just got ASG MVP. The M's are officially hot!
Ok, here is the bad news...the M's are notoriously (sp) not so good in the second half except, as fishrock and roops would be quick to point out, in 95', and when ever I talk positive about the M's (as you may have noticed I have kept quiet this year) they start to tank. SOOOOOOO, I think the M's are doing terrible and I hope they lose at least 40 games in the second half.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I usually go see about a couple Mariners games a year. I try to do so in the first half of the season so they at least have a chance of winning. I do have to say that this year, they might prove me wrong. They got a shot at the playoffs at least
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I don't know? They are doing what I always hate that they do...lose to teams they should be beating. They have a run on teams under .500 and they are not putting the sticks to em'. Felix taunting the ump after that pitch doesn't help either. He needs to learn that the title of King is earned not given, just like those run he "earned" after the HR he gave up.

Question: Do you think they will try for a trade before the deadline? Who do you think they should go after? I think they ought to go after Vasquez of the white sox. Good pop up pitcher, would fit well in Safeco.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I doubt the Mariners will be making any big moves before the trade deadline as they are tradionally one of the more passive teams when it comes to this. I think they are just hoping that Horacio Ramirez stays healthy and then they have a fairly solid 5-man rotation. If they trade anyone, I would want them to trade Sexson so that Broussard can play full-time at first base, but I doubt any team would want a dude who hits .200 or be willing to give much for Richie, especially with him making $15.5 Million dollars this year. As sad as it sounds, he needs to be a $15.5 Million dollar backup for the M's if he stays on their roster.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

The only reason Richie is still playing regularly is because of his salary. And yes, I agree on all points.
When does Richie's contract end?
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I believe Richie's contract ends at the end of next season, but I am only about 95% sure on that.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

I remember when Arizona made that big trade to get him, gave up like 3 young prospects and he was on the DL the whole season. That guy is such a waste....
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

What the heck is going on with the M's. I was seriously joking about losing 40 games in the second half! This is crazy. They just can't seem to get guys across the plate when in scoring position. They need some kind of spark for the second half.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I don't know if any of you saw last nights game with the Angels but it was awesome. Back and forth the whole second half of the game. My Dad and I were on our seats the whole time. I'm sooooo glad the M's hung in there and beat them. It shows great character.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Mike Nordin wrote:I don't know if any of you saw last nights game with the Angels but it was awesome. Back and forth the whole second half of the game. My Dad and I were on our seats the whole time. I'm sooooo glad the M's hung in there and beat them. It shows great character.
Definitely Nords. I think the whole team was in shock when Matthews took Putz deep with an opposite field home run. Like you said, it showed great character to bounce back from that and still pull out the win in extra innings...

Now, they need to take 2 out of 3 from the Bo Sox.
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

I just read this on ESPN.com and thought it interesting:

• We're still being told that Ichiro Suzuki's contract extension in Seattle had no connection with the resignation of Mike Hargrove as manager. But not many people in baseball seem to believe that. Ichiro's teammates have told their buddies that his issues with Hargrove went deeper than anyone has ever let on publicly. And it appears that the Mariners' No. 1 attraction was very close to deciding in midseason that if Hargrove was back next year, he wouldn't be. But Ichiro is "very close" to new manager John McLaren, said one hooked-in baseball man, and McLaren has made it a point to build that relationship. So when asked if there was a direct link between Ichiro's extension and the Hargrove/McLaren managerial flip-flop, the same baseball man replied: "Absolutely. I don't have any doubt it's connected."
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

The Mariners are killing me Nords... They now need a baseball miracle to catch the Yankees and make the playoffs. Catching the Angels is out of the question.

Bring back the 1995 magic!!!!!
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I hear ya! My Dad and I are speechless. They're choking. I think they lost it mentally on that first game against the Angels when they had the big lead and lost the game. They placed so much emphasis on that game that when they lost they couldn't regain composure.
On the other hand, they have done way better than last year and much better than most expected. They haven't given away their picks and if they improve their pitching a little more they should be even better next year. Oh, and we need to improve first base.
Isn't it sad that I'm talking about next season already. Ya, I hate to say it but with their schedule for the rest of the season they do need some mojo to get into post season.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Very well said on every point mentioned. I agree with you 100% all the way around...

I have not given up on this year yet, but they will need that "1995 Refuse to Lose", the "SoDo Mojo" and "Viva La Mojo" magic back. And they'll need some pitiful teams like Baltimore and Tampa Bay to beat the Yankees the last two weeks of the season.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, the Mariners sit today with a 79-70 record and have 13 games left. What do you think their final record will be Nords? I am guessing they will finish with a record of 86-76. Too bad they weren't in the National League Central. They would be in first place with their current record. LOL.