John Spoor class of 87

A place to pay tribute and honor to those beloved KHS Grads who have gone before us.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Wow - these are just awesome stories you guys. I hope you know how much all of this has meant to myself and my family. I have really had a hard time dealing with the loss of my brother but being able come to this forum and read such awesome stories and such kind words about John has helped tremedously.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Last edited by Jason Spoor on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Dawn VanVleet wrote:Jason, Vickie, Jolene (if you are on here), i would like to set up a benefit account for Nick and Ashley. I feel like they have kind of been left out. Unfortunately this has been looked at as two families, when really, there is 3 kids and one father. I know Avery definitely will need the $ for his medical bills, but i also think a benefit account would help nick and ashley too. what do you guys think?

jason, thanks for the invite. jolene actually called me today. i hope to make it but will be hard. i have my 3 kids and my 2 stepsons with me...and they arent the easiest to take around in the heat. if i cant make it, just know that i really wanted to!!
Dawn, that sounds like such an awesome thing - thank you for it. What can I do to help? I will be checking
here later as I so much love reading the thoughts and prayers and laughs from everyone!!
Vicki
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Hi Vicki, i will let you know if i need a signature or something but other than that, just to get the word out. I just want all the kids to be included.

WIsh i could make it to the bbq today!!! Shawn just left, he's going..... i told him to give you all hug!
B.O.S.S.I.
Dawn VanVleet

Johns Funeral

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Hi All,
Johns funeral will be Wednesday, July 25th at 3:00 at the United Church in Kellogg. Avery won't be out of the hospital by then Im pretty sure. He's got 4 tubes in his lungs right now. Arent holding air. Keep him, Cary and Nick and Ashley in your prayers.
B.O.S.S.I.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Lethal Rage

Post by Jason Spoor »

Courtesy of Dawn VanVleet - this is for those who rocked out to Lethal Rage. This is my big brother John Spoor and his best friend Shawn McNearny.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Lethal Rage ROCKED! Nice Pic Roops!

I still remember walking throughout Yoke's Pac N Save and seeing random "Lethal Rage" graffiti throughout the store on rafters, walls, racks, etc. I think McNearney worked there for a while.

R.I.P. John
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Yeah I remember that too...That picture brings back alot of memories....
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

do you guys realize how long it took to get johns hair that big? LOL....awwww the good ole days!
B.O.S.S.I.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

That totally reminds me about McNearney and John! Since I was a frosh I was nervous about anyone older than me (remember those days sib). I was walking down to the band room once from the lunch room wearing a Pink Floyd "we don't need no education" shirt my dad gave to me from the Outback. Both of them stopped me in the hall and said "cool shirt", "We don't need no education...right on". One moment I thought I was going to get hazed, the next I thought they were sooo cool. I totally forgot about Lethal Rage.
Thanks for the Pic!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:That totally reminds me about McNearney and John! Since I was a frosh I was nervous about anyone older than me (remember those days sib). I was walking down to the band room once from the lunch room wearing a Pink Floyd "we don't need no education" shirt my dad gave to me from the Outback. Both of them stopped me in the hall and said "cool shirt", "We don't need no education...right on". One moment I thought I was going to get hazed, the next I thought they were sooo cool. I totally forgot about Lethal Rage.
Thanks for the Pic!
Dang straight Nords. Dang straight.

Lethal Rage 4 LIFE!
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

I would like to take this time to let the people know of Spoorapolooza. I don't quite know of the time as of yet. I am going to get a tournament together where the first part is 18 holes of golf and then we move to the Kellogg bowling alley and roll. The winner will receive a golden pipe wrench. I have to talk to Mike at KBA to find out the best time. I will let everyone know. I am also hoping to have some T-shirts made and make this an annual tradition. If we held this 3 weeks ago, John would have KILLED everyone. We will be playing some AC/DC, Motley Crue and the like, drinking beers like wine and telling stories. I hope for a good turnout. Tomorrow we bury John. But every year we will celebrate Spoorapolooza in his memory. More details when I figure it out.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

We would like everyone to know how much all of you have helped
us in getting through all of this. Your notes, cards, phone calls and
dropping by to see us have meant so much. We know how much
John was loved and will be missed by all of us and knew he was
loved by alot more people --- but never imagined how many lives
he had touched in such great ways!! Thank you all so much.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Vicki Spoor wrote:We would like everyone to know how much all of you have helped
us in getting through all of this. Your notes, cards, phone calls and
dropping by to see us have meant so much. We know how much
John was loved and will be missed by all of us and knew he was
loved by alot more people --- but never imagined how many lives
he had touched in such great ways!! Thank you all so much.

Vicki, (and family)

Tina just brought the slide show over for me to finalize and burn to a DVD. We also did a run through at the church and I have to tell you that it is really sinking in for me hardcore. You are so right. John touched so many and was loved by all who knew him. He lived life with such a vigor, and was such an outstanding son, brother, husband, dad, friend, uncle, co-worker, neighbor, competitor, and person. My words really fail me at this point, and after watching the slideshow my words seem all the more inadequate. Although I haven't seen you guys since John's passing, please know that all of you, including all who were blessed to have known John, are in my prayers.

I hope we can continue paying tribute to this outstanding person here for a long time to come.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:I would like to take this time to let the people know of Spoorapolooza. I don't quite know of the time as of yet. I am going to get a tournament together where the first part is 18 holes of golf and then we move to the Kellogg bowling alley and roll. The winner will receive a golden pipe wrench. I have to talk to Mike at KBA to find out the best time. I will let everyone know. I am also hoping to have some T-shirts made and make this an annual tradition. If we held this 3 weeks ago, John would have KILLED everyone. We will be playing some AC/DC, Motley Crue and the like, drinking beers like wine and telling stories. I hope for a good turnout. Tomorrow we bury John. But every year we will celebrate Spoorapolooza in his memory. More details when I figure it out.
Hank,

A perfect tribute. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

SSSSS
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

who loves ya Hank!
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

God bless him.
Thanks for coming over to my house this evening. I sure enjoyed having you, Cary, Ashley and Nick over to the house along with about 100 other people. It was a good time and John would have loved the whole thing. Ralph gave a wonderful funeral. We celebrate John today and we will continue to celebrate for many years his memory. Thanks for the post Roops.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

That is a great pic Roops. It sounds like you guys had a great tribute function yesterday. Just seeing the people at the funeral and then at the park was an awesome display of how many people John touched. You know, I grew up a block away from John, and I am blessed to have been able to know him and his awesome love of life. I didn't see John more than once every week or so at the golf course or in passing, but every time I saw him, it was like we could have a conversation about anything. He was so easy going and genuine. Although I was not as close to him as a lot of you were, yesterday was still one of the toughest days I have experienced in my lifetime. I could only imagine the hurt all of John's family and close friends have been going through the past couple of weeks. As a husband and father it hit me that much harder yesterday. I too thought the funeral was well done. So appropriate for how John lived his life.

Roops, I have to say that the letter that Ashley wrote was one of the most touching and inspirational things I have ever heard. I would love to read it again (although it is very tough to get through) someday, if I could get a hold of a copy. If Ashley would rather not, I understand too.
Last edited by Simon Miller on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Simon, i have a copy of that letter. I can scan it and email it to you. Can I have a copy of the DVD? i talked to Vickie and asked if i could use it at the reunion and she said of course. Let me know if thats ok to get a copy. What would a i need, just a computer? is the music to it?

THe service was great! the music reminded me sooo much of our childhood! You know, my dad and mom took my sister, me, shawn, john and Patty Austin all to that Stryper concert!! the first concert for all of us!! So for them to play "Honestly" was just great!! (then we went to Motley crue together too!! me, debbie, shawn, john and kenny peterson!)

Hank, love the spoorapalooza!! how great is that!!! love it! (got a great pic of hank at the park yesterday..will get it on here! :) John would love it)
B.O.S.S.I.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Yeah I can copy the DVD in a snap. You don't even need a computer. It will play in any dvd player. The music is fully embedded in the DVD. You would need a projector, or another idea would be to loop it on a TV and let people watch it as they wanted. I don't know your plans, but it is pretty easy since it is in DVD format.

When I dropped in at the park yesterday, from a distance, I thought that David Beckham was there being swarmed by popparatzi but upon closer inspection, I saw it was HR and a group of friends. lol

Hank, Archie came up to me and started telling all about a shot he hit on "numbuh 6 on da greeeen." It was awesome. He did all this while successfully devouring a good sized cookie. What a stallion.