Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Jim Bird

Five Things That Left Kellogg?

Post by Jim Bird »

Was this the name of the original thread? I think this topic reaches all of the class groups. Correct it if I'm off.

My five:
1. Pappy's Pizza. Certainly the hub of the weekend cruising scene during the mid to late 70's. Working there in '76 I saw how
popular it was.
2. Swanson's Market. Besides their candy selection when I was younger, we got our older looking friends to buy beer there.
3. The Little League field at the west end of the city park. Squeezed between the railroad tracks and the Mill parking lot.
4. Bunker Hill. Face it. Kellogg wouldn't be what it is/was without Bunker Hill. Good and Bad.
5. The Old Jr. High gym turned into a roller skating rink for a few years before it was torn down too.

Lots more ideas, but probably food related.
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Yes, I believe that was the original thread name. :)
I too miss Pappy's Pizza (then it was the Pik -n- Shovel). It was always a good place to eat. Now, it's a parking lot for Dave Smith.
Speaking of roller rinks (and this isn't really Kellogg, it's Smelterville, but close enough, imho), I miss the bowling alley/roller rink out at Smelterville. Pappy's was there for a time after it left Kellogg.
I'll add Pik Kwik's to the list. Living where I did, that was a major social hub as well as grocery story/lunch counter. I really miss it.
Thanks for starting the thread again.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Excellent work Jim!! I was hoping that someone would want to put up this thread again as it was probably the most viewed/responded to thread on the old board. I hope to add more to it when I have a bit more time.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Excellent revival of the "Things that left Kellogg" thread. I can "mine" the SQL database backup and look for some info there and paste it here too.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks for starting this up again Jim. This was a thread that all generations liked and responded to...

Growing up in the 80's and 90's, some of my favorite places were:

Circle K - getting candy and slurpies with my friends before and after swimming at the Kellogg Pool.
Kopper Keg - Their pizza burgers were my favorite. We also spent hours there playing video games.
Ice Cream Shop at the Lincoln Mall - great place to go on a hot, summer day..
Silver Valley Sports Cards - I don't collect baseball cards anymore, but Roops and I visited there 2 to 3 times per week from 1991-94 (est.)

There are many more. I will get my thinking cap on...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

It's interesting that most of the places I miss are food-related, as well.

The Shady Lady--even though it was in Wardner.

Rancho Viejo--I know it's a very recent place, but it was really great food.

KFC--where the Gondolier now sits.

My portable behind KHS--where I taught many students, including some of you!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

This thread is officially detrimental to my work production level today. :roll:
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Sib, it was the "Fun Center" in Smelterville. Unfortunately I think it became the Drug Center. I think that besides the obvious, The Bunker closing, helped its demise.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Laurie Roberts wrote:My portable behind KHS--where I taught many students, including some of you!
I don't remember this being mentioned on the previous board but a dang fine entry it is!! I think I had 10th grade English there and another class with Mrs. Godwin - I got less work done than usual during the summer when the Pys. Ed. class was out playing softball because I wanted to go play so bad.

I'm pretty sure it was my Soph. year when I had a class in one of the portables followed by a class on the 3rd floor - being large and lazy I didn't really like rushing from one to the other but I always managed to make it on time.
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I didn't mention my portable the first time around. I loved being next door to Mrs. Godwin, even though we had very different expectations when it came to student volume.

The first year I was in there my students were complaining about it being too far out of the way, so I picked two of my most reliable students (I believe one was Martha Peterson, Coach Miller's sister-in-law), and asked them to walk from my class up to Mr. Faraca's class (now the art room, I believe) and back, while I timed them. They made back in less than five minutes!
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Laurie Roberts wrote:The first year I was in there my students were complaining about it being too far out of the way, so I picked two of my most reliable students (I believe one was Martha Peterson, Coach Miller's sister-in-law), and asked them to walk from my class up to Mr. Faraca's class (now the art room, I believe) and back, while I timed them. They made back in less than five minutes!
Yeah but - that doesn't leave much time to pick on underclassmen or get bullied by upperclassmen.
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Excellent points! Did anyone ever pick on you?
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Laurie Roberts wrote:Excellent points! Did anyone ever pick on you?
I got bullied around quite a bit by Casey Fisher :lol: - other than him not really.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

LOL Roops. You were always the kid my age whom I wasn't bigger than until I grew to 6' 7".
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

How about the old A&W?? I will always miss that. I have to agree with Pappy's Pizza, i could never remember that until i read this thread. The Kopper Keg and Circle K were always something good for us kids when we were younger. Hey simon, how about our old half baseball days at the Little field and our dunk ball games at Sunnyside? Boy were those the good ol days. Oh and can never forget Wiffle ball at Teeters.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Sunnyside Elementary - that place should have been declared a local monument instead of letting it be purchased by Dave Smith Motors. I'll never forget the lunchtime soccer games that went from fence to fence on that wonderful pavement. Some of us were pretty rough back in the day and it was nothing to see a few kids come back from lunch with holes in their jeans and blood on their faces.

Playing dodge ball against the gymansium wall was another one of my favorite lunchtime activities. On a good day there would be a few noggins getting bounced off that wall from a direct hit - not intentional of course!

And who can forget the kickball games - if you really got some leather into that ball you could clear the playground and roll the ball to the other side of the school.

I believe it was K-5 when I was a Unicorn so I may have had the pleasure of being picked on by one Simon Miller!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Great post Roops. Those "Fence-to-Fence" soccer games were like religion. We played every recess, all recess. I remember the "6th Grade Stands" games. There were some awesome soccer players that emerged from the SES Fence-to-Fence league to go on to greatness in other leagues.

Roops, I never picked on anyone. That is a travishamockery!
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Simon Miller wrote:Great post Roops. Those "Fence-to-Fence" soccer games were like religion. We played every recess, all recess. I remember the "6th Grade Stands" games. There were some awesome soccer players that emerged from the SES Fence-to-Fence league to go on to greatness in other leagues.

Roops, I never picked on anyone. That is a travishamockery!
lol, musta been a different Miller :wink:
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great post on the Sunnyside School Roops. Those were indeed very great times. I remember when the soccer ball got kicked over the fence and went accross the street. Every grade had a kid or two in their class who were "rebels" and would run accross the street to get the ball without asking the teacher. In those days we were supposed to tell the teacher on duty, who would walk accross the street with the person to go get the ball... I remember thinking how "cool" and brave those kids were who would actually go across the street to get the ball without telling the teacher... Complete rebels of the law!!!

I was just thinking the other night that when Roops and I were in Kindergarten, Simon was in 6th grade, so yes, we actually all went to school together as I believe it was K-6 back then... How sweet is that.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Sunnyside...
it was a great school. I remember many a good time in those hallowed halls...the cafeteria, the gymnasium...the playground. *sigh*
I remember a few fun times as a high schooler too when I worked for the district as summer custodial help and we cleaned the schools, painted fences, etc.
It is rather sad that it has become office space for Dave Smith, but with the DS location and it's rate of growth, it just made sense to relocate the school.
We played kickball and dodgeball, but we also played tether ball and 4 square. Not to mention doing all kinds of daring acrobatics on the monkey bars. ;)
One day, when I was in fifth grade, we were playing some sort of game on the f-square area. Bob Case was on one corner, I was on another and two others were on the remaining corners. Someone was "it" in the middle where the boxes intersected. The object was to switch places with someone on another corner before the person in the middle noticed and could touch you. In a moment when my attention was drawn elsewhere, Bob grabbed my hand and pulled me toward him to switch places with me. As I turned my head, his head impacted squarly with my left cheekbone. He broke the bone just under my left eye. My eye completely swelled shut and I still had the shiner nearly a week later when it came time for class pictures.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)