Heather Morgans husband

A place to pay tribute and honor to those beloved KHS Grads who have gone before us.
Dawn VanVleet

Heather Morgans husband

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Keep Heather and her family in your prayers. Her husband was killed Tuesday early morning in an underground gold mine in Nevada. It was another cave-in. They have 3 kids.
B.O.S.S.I.
Gentry Woolman

Post by Gentry Woolman »

Here are some news articles that were posted online with some more details about the mining accident that took Heather's husband:

Workers at the "Turquoise Ridge" mine outside Winnemucca reportedly recovered the body of 36-year-old Curtis Johnson on Wednesday. He got trapped Tuesday morning after the ground gave way inside the underground mine. Johnson's body was found after more than 24 hours of rescue efforts. All operations have been halted at the mine, but it could reopen in the next several days.
An investigation into the accident is underway. The mine is jointly owned by Barrick Gold and Newmont Gold.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rescue crews have recovered the body of miner killed during a cave-in at an underground Nevada gold mine a 36-year-old, married, father of three.

Curtis Johnson had worked at the Getchell Mine east of Winnemucca since 2003.

Crews had been searching for Johnson since before dawn the previous day, when the ground gave way at the Getchell Mine east of
Winnemucca.

A spokesman for the Mine Safety and Health Administration says his body was recovered around noon today (Wednesday).

Johnson was operating a bolter, a large piece of equipment used to drill bolts into the hard rock, when the accident occurred around 2 a.m. Tuesday.

The Getchell Mine is a joint venture owned by Toronto-based Barrick Gold Corp. and Denver-based Newmont Mining Corp.

It is operated by Small Mining Development LLC, or SMD, an independent
contractor based in Boise, Idaho.

SMD President Ron Guill said in a statement late today that words cannot express the sense of loss the company feels.

He said Johnson was an outstanding person and an excellent underground miner.

Class of '89
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Matt,

Tell Heather that your whole family is in my prayers. Im sorry to hear about her loss. what a tragedy.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford