KHS Football

Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

KHS Football

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Simon, would it be possible for you to post the Wildcats football schedule on the site?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Mike
You can access the most up-to-date KHS sports schedules from the Athletics portal page here: http://www.ksd391.org/khs/Athletics/sports.htm. KHS uses highschoolsports.net for its scheduling and the schedules on the KHS site are dynamic RSS feeds, so they will be the most accurate schedule you can find.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Thanks! :)
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Kellogg vs. Wallace - 106 year tradition broken?

Post by Gwen Johnson »

As many of you may know, the Kellogg/Wallace game was cancelled last Friday (8/31/07) due to lightening. In fact, three other HS games were also cancelled that night, but they were all made up on Saturday. However, the Kellogg/Wallace game was not made up because the Wallace coach said he would be unable to field a team on Saturday. So, the 107th meeting of KHS and WHS on the grid iron will most likely not happen this year. The odds of it being rescheduled at the end of the season are pretty slim. Still...since the WHS coach was unwilling to reschedule, it will go down in the books as a KHS win by forfeit.
I wondered when the wheels would come off this long-standing tradition. WHS has been 8 man for a few years but still picks up a couple of 11 man games each season (KHS and usually, SMHS). They did play SMHS the week before and beat them. Still...it's hard to let go of some traditions.
I'm curious to see what will happen next year.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is an interesting story Gwen. I didn't hear about this... It's sad to see that Wallace is now so small that they can't even get enough players to play against KHS.

106 years!!! I know that Kellogg/Wallace have played twice a year many times, but this is a lot of head-to-head meetings on the gridiron.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Casey
I hadn't realized that KHS had played WHS that many times either, but I was relaying information that Coach Williams gave to the Booster club last night at our meeting. The KBC hosted the KHS senior football players and coaches. Thats a lot of games. :)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Gwen,

I don't know if it is still around, but there used to be a big jug for the Kellogg/Wallace football game and whichever school won the game got to keep it for the year until the next meeting. It was engraved with each year and which school won the game. One of the two schools must still have it somewhere... It's too bad a tradition like that has been delayed/coming to an end... :>(
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I think I remember seeing that in the trophy case. I don't know if it's still being updated or not. Yeah, I hate to see traditions fade away. Some traditions are best left in the dust, but others bring stability, comfort and unity.
I guess we'll see what happens with this one.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Unfortunately, I am sad to see the rivalry slowly disappear, but I think it is for good reason. Kellogg High School is now 4 to 5 times bigger than Wallace High School and is in a "no-win" situation when they meet. They should dominate and win and if they do, it is no big deal as KHS is supposed to whip up on a small school like that. However, if they lose it is a big deal since Wallace is now the big underdog due to their small enrollment.

The rivalry in football I think needs to come to an end as WHS is playing 8-man and can't field enough players to play 11-man... I still think the rivalry can continue for the most part in basketball, volleyball, golf, etc. where there is a more even playing field despite Kellogg now being the big favorites in the match-up. I would just limit the head-to-head match-ups to just once per year instead of 2-3 times per year.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

KHS/WHS in football has been only once a year for a while now. The problem with the once a year thing in other sports is the home-court/field advantage. You're right about the no-win situation for KHS in the football games vs. smaller schools.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

How are the wildcats doing this season so far?
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The Wildcats are technically 3-1 (all non-league games so far). They lost to Libby, Montana (really good team) in the season opener, received a forfeit from Wallace after lightning force a cancellation of the second game of the season and have defeated both Grangeville and Potlatch at home (last weekend Potlatch had totel offence of -10 yds vs. the Wildcats).
This Friday will be one of the toughest league games of the season as the 'Cats travel to Timberlake HS. Then they get a week off to prepare for St. Maries at home (Homecoming).
So far, so good...
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The Wildcats took on the St. Maries Lumberjacks for Homecoming last Friday evening. They defeated the Lumberjacks by a score of 61 - 12. Marisa Bush was named Homecoming Queen and Adam Furlin was chosen as Homecoming King.
That puts the 'Cats at 1 - 1 in league and 4 - 2 over all.
Next Friday, Kellogg hosts the Priest River Spartans and the following Friday, they travel to Bonners Ferry.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

One more game left this season...

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The Wildcats defeated the Spartans Friday evening by a score of 29 - 6. They will travel to Bonners Ferry this Friday and if they win, they will take second place in the IML.
Go Wildcats!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Both the KHS Varsity and Junior Varsity football teams defeated the Bonners Ferry Badgers this past week. Thursday night, the JV team crushed BF by the score of 37-6. I felt rather vindicated as when I arrived at the last home game at Teeter's on Thursday evening, I found the Bonners Ferry fans and cheerleaders parked squarely in our 50 yard-line bleachers. Don't think that deterred me from sitting in the same section and cheering my loudest. ;)

Then on Friday night, our Varsity squad traveled to BF and crushed the Varsity Badgers by a score of 62-18. The 'Cats had already earned a birth to the state playoffs, but this was icing on the cake.

For a story on the first football game of the season that was recently overturned, please go to:
http://shoshonenewspress.com/articles/2 ... orts02.txt

Congratulations Wildcats on a very successful season!
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

No offense Kellogg, but beating a Bonners Ferry High School football team that suited 12 players, isn't that tough. How'd they do against Timberlake?
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I did not attend the game on Friday - why did they suit only 12 players? That's the first I've heard about that.
Timberlake crushed Kellogg 46-18.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Do we know who, when, and where the Cats play in the first round of the State Football Playoffs yet?
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I do not have that information yet. The state tournament bracket can be found here:
http://idahosports.com/sports/football/ ... ackets.pdf
I believe Kellogg will be the 1-2B team which will play the 3B Host, but I don't know who the 3B team is.
:(
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks Gwen. Yep, I would think Kellogg would be 1-2B since they got 2nd in the league and they will play at 3B... Is that game this weekend? I would think it would be.