John Allen, Class of 1989

Where has life taken you since you left the doors of Kellogg High School? Post here to share!
John Allen

John Allen, Class of 1989

Post by John Allen »

Hi all,

Probably not the best time to write this as I have limited time, but I guess a brief run-down will suffice. First off, I'd just like to say that I have many fond memories of my classmates, years before and after mostly due to band. During junior high, while it was still held down the hill from the high school, I was asked to play bass for the senior jazz band and the pep band. So I got to know, and travel with, people from as early as the class of '85. I also lived in Pinehurst, along the golf course, so I regularly ran with the Fairway Heights Mafia and participated in more than one bottle rocket war on the golf course (I was there when Sheldon took one down the sweatshirt!).

Life has certainly been interesting. After highschool I attended UI for a couple years. I went in the Navy for 4 years and travelled all over the place. Was married and (happily) divorced. Went back to UI to finish my bachelors, spent a couple years in Boise, then went back for a masters degree at UI. Some of you may remember that I dated an exchange student, Monica, from the 1987/88 class who was from Mexico. It was in my last year of graduate school that Monica and I ran into each other on the internet after something like 13 years. I travelled to see her again and it was like we'd never been apart. We married soon after! We are now happily married with 2 beautiful boys, Joaquin (2) and Emilio (9 months). Yep, we've been busy!!! ;)

Anyhow, we live in southern Idaho, close to Boise. My brother, Jeremy, is down here too, as are our parents. We all miss the valley from time to time, but are happy to be together.

What I miss from Kellogg the most? Probably the woods... the quiet woods just after a light rain. I can almost smell the cedar.

Hope everyone is doing well. Monica and I are talking about attending the 20 year. Dr. Joy always said that was the one to go to!
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I was jazzed (pun intended) to see you signed up John. I have many fond memories of us in Jazz Band as well. We had some kickin groups at KHS including the year where we took 1st place at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. I will also never forget you and I cranking up the theme from Night Court in the band room on a whim just to get everyone worked up. lol

Your life story since KHS is quite fascinating to me as I do remember you dating Monica and I couldn't' believe my eyes as I read of you two being reunited!

I also wanted to point out that you were a pretty sweet goalie too! I remember the good old soccer days too. Cosmos rule!

Anyhow, I got your PM too, and I will reply to that, but I wanted to be the first to reply here, because I was so thrilled to see you signed up.

Talk to you soon,

SM
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Kristy Vineyard

Post by Kristy Vineyard »

Thought I would stop in and say Hi to all, Gosh John it has been forever, it is wonderful all you have done and seen, welcome back to Idaho.
Hope all is going well for all of our classmates.
John Allen

Post by John Allen »

Hi Kristy! It has been a long time. What have you been up to?
JerryTaylor

Post by JerryTaylor »

John,

That is great that you and Monica bumped into each other after all those years. Destiny is a funny thing...

Wow, what a trip back in time John. I still remember how great it was to come and visit you and your family when I stayed with my grandparents in Smelterville. Fond memories.
Started out with nothing...still have most of it.
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Hi John..weren't we in band together? i wasnt in jazz but i was in 'regular' band. you played the sax??? pretty neat story about you and your wife!! that is amazing.... glad to hear you are doing well!
B.O.S.S.I.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

No, John played the Tube and played a mean bass guitar. Hey John, this Mike Nordin, you know one of the fairway hieghts gang. For those of you who don't know, John was our bassist during our first place at LHJ festival in Moscow. Good to see you on here.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
John Allen

Post by John Allen »

I definitely remember you guys!

Pretty neat to see a bunch of people joining up recently. I'm kind of torn between going to my 20 year or waiting for the all class reunion. What are you guys doing?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:No, John played the Tube and played a mean bass guitar. Hey John, this Mike Nordin, you know one of the fairway hieghts gang. For those of you who don't know, John was our bassist during our first place at LHJ festival in Moscow. Good to see you on here.
YEAH BABY! We kicked BRASS!

I echo that... John played a wicked bass. I loved jamming with him. Good times.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
John Allen

Post by John Allen »

Oh please. A workmate of mine picked up a guitar recently and has been bugging me about getting a bass again. I can't even remember the last time I played... it has to be at least 18 years or more.
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Oh yes!! i remember now!! Guess who i ran into yesterday over in the Cd'a mall..Jean Dupin! LOL speaking of band! He was in trouble more than he wasnt!
B.O.S.S.I.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

LOL! The whole drum section was always on Mr. D's mind, and mouth. Did you talk to Jean?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

yeah, i talked to him. Hasn't changed much! Filled out a little bit but still Jean!

Yeah those drummers were always the trouble makers....not like us sweet clarinet players ;)
B.O.S.S.I.
John Allen

Post by John Allen »

Ha! Doubtful! Sneaky reed section.

I haven't thought of Jean in years! Has anyone run into many people from band? I've pretty much been away since I graduated.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

The only people I've "run" into over here (that I know of) were Asa Raugest (sp) and Jeff Ingals, both of which were like 15 years ago. Oh wait a minute, I bumped into Jackie Barber a couple of times in Portland OR.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Gwen, are you going to be putting anymore yearbooks onto the site? I know it's a lot of work and I don't mean to be pressuring you. :oops: My family appreciates what you have done. :) We enjoy them and the question was asked to me if more were going to be added. :D
Bret Martin

Great story

Post by Bret Martin »

Maddog class of 81. we dont know each other but i just wanted to say that after 27 years, 3 failed marrages for both of us. My high school sweetheart and I are dating again. I hope we hind the happyness you and yours have.

Bret