The "new and not-sure-improved" Kellogg pics

The place to talk about anything you want.
Dawn VanVleet

The "new and not-sure-improved" Kellogg pics

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

I added pics on my myspace if anyone wants to check out what Kellogg is looking like these days!
www.myspace.com/dawnmichael
B.O.S.S.I.
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

here is also a webcam from silver mtn if anyone is interested
http://www.silvermt.com/Photos_Cams/def ... e=Web_Cams
B.O.S.S.I.
Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

Wow Dawn, thanks for posting those pictures on your myspace. Its so good to see home!
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I can't believe I missed this, money over soul dawn. Growth is good but uncontrolled growth can destroy.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:I can't believe I missed this, money over soul dawn. Growth is good but uncontrolled growth can destroy.
This can be true indeed. However, I have had to face the cold hard reality that 1. Nothing stays the same forever, 2. A lot of people want growth, but don't want what comes with it. Most want it both ways and most of the time this just can't happen.

I won't say if I am pro or anti growth, but I will say that Kellogg is at a very unique crossroads right now. We had the mining boon up into the 70s, followed by the bottom falling out in the mid to late 80s, which forced a change in economic focus. That didn't exactly go as designed, but then Eagle Crest went bananas in their sales and development. The housing market blew up big time, and has since plummeted. All the while the government is spending millions of dollars cleaning up the mining contamination (sometimes repeatedly) Then, to make things even more interesting, precious metals (Silver) seem to be surging again and we are opening up mines again, meaning... you guessed it, mine waste.

We are having a difficult time keeping employees at the school district because we can't afford to compete with the salaries of the mines, and even places like Wal-Mart, and Dave Smith Motors.

Crazy stuff for sure.

But we need to keep in mind that only one thing is inevitable... change, good or bad.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I agree with you whole heartedly on change, at times you happily greet change and other times it is a cold hearted B****. I do feel like an arm chair QB or a back seat driver talking about this but I do think most small towns suffer from this. I think we all know that the valley needs middle income industry (that doesn't involve the mines. Having the mines are fine, but all your eggs in one basket and all that). I know that is easier said than done, but I still think that should still be the goal. That's only long term solution, if you could pull it off.
I still love the valley and miss it, as do many on this site, but I still get vexed over two things 1. I will always want it to be like when I was a kid 2. I want those who live there to be happy and prosper. However as you already pointed out, doing both at the same time could be a catch-22.

lastly: (small soap box moment) I think all teachers should get paid 25-50% more than they do now across the board! Pay them what their education and what service they provide are worth.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Great pictures Dawn! The old Bunker offices bring back memories because i used to live up there and hang out with the Coughers and Kendricks.

U know, everyone is right, some things do change, some like them, some dont. But just think of it this way, If change didnt happen in Kellogg, it would be just a run down old mining town and there would be no jobs there. I think in the long run it will be good, but it is unfortunate they are making it into a resort town to where it will be difficult to afford to live there.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Mike Nordin wrote:I agree with you whole heartedly on change, at times you happily greet change and other times it is a cold hearted B****. I do feel like an arm chair QB or a back seat driver talking about this but I do think most small towns suffer from this. I think we all know that the valley needs middle income industry (that doesn't involve the mines. Having the mines are fine, but all your eggs in one basket and all that). I know that is easier said than done, but I still think that should still be the goal. That's only long term solution, if you could pull it off.
I still love the valley and miss it, as do many on this site, but I still get vexed over two things 1. I will always want it to be like when I was a kid 2. I want those who live there to be happy and prosper. However as you already pointed out, doing both at the same time could be a catch-22.

lastly: (small soap box moment) I think all teachers should get paid 25-50% more than they do now across the board! Pay them what their education and what service they provide are worth.
Mike i agree 100% Teachers have to maintain their education in order to continue teaching, so why not pay them for their hard work. It isnt a 9 month job it is year round.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Fortunately, all the mines are up and running...even some of the older ones like Crescent. Sunshine is hiring miners left and right and Galena and Friday are going full bore. With the silver escalator and the price of silver so high, those miners are making some bank (as they should be).

I wish our officials would have put some more thought into how they want the town to grow. Those condos up behind Wah Hing are so out of place. They are huge, that little tiny alley road..and they are building 3 more just like it. Blocking the views from the houses up on the hill behind the condos. Irresponsible decision making there.

Im having a hard time with the water rates going up up up, taxes going up and honestly, I'm not seeing anything positive to us 'locals' that is coming from this growth. The 'out of towners' dont venture up town, the restaurants are still so-so. The only positive thing is we have a place to buy underwear now.
B.O.S.S.I.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I see where you are coming from Dawn. The question should always be asked, whether we can answer it or not, do the gains out weigh the losses. We have a similar situation over here on the coast just south of us. The federal gov. is promoting a private company buit LNG site. Liquid natural gas. It poses a great hazzard by possible waste and as a possible terror target. How many jobs will this supply? 50. Where do all the profits go. east. Where does most of the energy go, not all, but most. South. I just don't see the benefit. It's being fought here though.
On another note, I have been out spoken against Walmart, however after reading an article online about the company, I have to say they are off my s*** list. I like their new green policies and have moved to be a better employer. I'm sure this change is not due to my boycott, but I will now start shopping there again. :)
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

I don't know Mike..I believe every voice can make a difference, maybe yours was the one that threw Walmart onto the right path! :)

That does not sound good what you guys got going on over there. Hopefully everyone speaks up and gets that stopped. Right now, the gains in Kellogg have been to Silver Mtn and McDonalds. I dont see alot of gains yet for us, but I keep hoping the city officials actually do know what they are talking about when they approve all of this stuff. I've heard talk of a big rec center. that would be GREAT. and its not a Jen Weld project! another plus. I am still struggling with the water rates going up and having to go to meters. Pretty sad when we have water surrounding us and will end up paying triple the amount cda pays.
B.O.S.S.I.