Snow Stories

The place to talk about anything you want.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Snow Stories

Post by Gwen Johnson »

In the spirit of this "snow day", I thought I'd start a little thread for those who wish to share anecdotes about snowy days.
Here's mine for today:
I was out shoveling my drive way a few moments go. I was not touching my car in any way, but I heard the air shocks...the weight of the snow on car caused them to adjust. ;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Well, I have a lot of memories of lots of snow, but probably the memory that stands out the most is the days we (Sunnyside Mafia) used to have one of the best sledding hills ever on Chestnut St. We used both toboggan and runner type sleds. We had multiple entry points and they all ended up going down Chestnut St. at a pretty high speed. It was always a lot of fun.

Another place we used to sled a lot was up on the hill by where the new hospital is now. We would build jumps by using the high school trail and we would catch some serious hang time. It seems like one of us always sustained a substantial injury each time we went to this location. I think Morgan broke an arm or something and I remember Andy Watson getting bounced underneath an inner tube and getting knocked out.

Good times.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I think most of my fondest snow memories took place in the Pik Kwik parking lot (not the adjacent parking lot, but the one across Riverside). My buddy Randy Wegner lived on the other side of the parking lot, across the alley from where the plow always piled up the snow from the parking lot. We spent many an hour playing on that pile of snow. We would dig forts, climb all over it, slide off it...whatever. We spent hours out at that snow hill and then always went home, stripped off our wet clothes and drank hot chocolate. Those were the days...
;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I think it was my first year teaching (1988), and we'd had a truckload of snow over a few days. It was the week before Christmas break (back when we still had "Christmas break"), and we were going to be done on Friday, with a half-day. On Tuesday night we got a call that school was canceled the next day. Then, on Wednesday night, I got the wonderful news that they'd decided to cancel the rest of the week! Woohoo! I realized then that teachers enjoyed snow days as much as kids.

I don't really miss the amount of snow Kellogg gets, but I do miss Northern Idaho drivers. We had one snowy, icy commute a couple of weeks ago (after maybe a two-inch snowfall), and the folks were driving between 5 and 10 mph on the freeway. My twenty-minute commute took me almost an hour. Good grief people! Sure, be careful, but maybe we could aim for 25!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon, i second all those sledding areas, how about over by the pool on Hill street. I remember when my brother was tubing down the hill and jumped the tube and his foot ended up inside the center of the tube and he tore a tendon on his foot.

How about the days when we would ride in the back of my dads truck when Mom would pick us up from school and we would throw snow balls at everyone walking home while we got a ride!! I remember the Kendricks and Cougher would ride home with us.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I think my brother Brian and Matt Morgan were always getting hurt doing some crazy stuff growing up. I think they were trying to one up each other with injuries, LOL. Morgan, how are u doing man????
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Great stories Ken! So true about Brian and Morgs! Those two were fearless!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Yea, they were very fearless, i really think that Pain didnt hurt them! hahaha. and they would try ANYTHING, and i mean ANYTHING!!! Us older kids wouldnt do some of the things they would, and we knew they would do it, so we would tell them or ask them and they would be all over it. I am going to have to some brainstorming and think of some of the things those two did, maybe they will remember and add to the post. Im sure Dorgs will come up with something!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Some of my favorite snow stories involve sledding up Vergobbi Gulch with my friends. Roops and I were just reminiscing about this last weekend... The Vergobbi's used to let us hoodlems all go up on the hill behind their property. It was the best sledding hill ever. I remember spending hours and hours on that hill having races, making jumps, etc... Great times indeed.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

O.K., here's one from the Pinehurst side.
I remember sledding with Mike Haller and Geoff Chadwell on our property. We tried a different side of the hill which was directly behind our barn becuase it was stepper than the other side, but we didn't know it as well. We were on one of those giant innertubes. Geoff and Mike were on the bottom and I was in the middle on top. We were flat out flying when all the sudden near the bottom we hit a hidden tree stump. All three of us were thrown off and all I could do is brace myself anyway I could. Unfortunately for Mike that meant my hand on the back of his head. I must of drove his face at about 30mph into about 2 ft of snow. Geoff and I couldn't helf but start laughing but then got quiet when we noticed Mike wasn't. To Mike's credit he didn't cry, we were all about 11 yrs old, he just seriously said, "I think I hear my mom calling." and just left. I felt bad but today I can't help but laugh.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

My friends and I used to love playing "king of the hill" on those huge snowbanks in the IGA parking lot and at the church on Mission Street near my parents house. I remember playing once without any snow pants or boots on - oh man was that cold - I was sopping wet from head to toe but it was just too much fun to pass up. There were times when the church parking lot would have a snowbank about 10 yards wide and what seemed to be 8 feet high, well we used to build little forts in those things that we would spend all day playing in.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:O.K., here's one from the Pinehurst side.
I remember sledding with Mike Haller and Geoff Chadwell on our property. We tried a different side of the hill which was directly behind our barn becuase it was stepper than the other side, but we didn't know it as well. We were on one of those giant innertubes. Geoff and Mike were on the bottom and I was in the middle on top. We were flat out flying when all the sudden near the bottom we hit a hidden tree stump. All three of us were thrown off and all I could do is brace myself anyway I could. Unfortunately for Mike that meant my hand on the back of his head. I must of drove his face at about 30mph into about 2 ft of snow. Geoff and I couldn't helf but start laughing but then got quiet when we noticed Mike wasn't. To Mike's credit he didn't cry, we were all about 11 yrs old, he just seriously said, "I think I hear my mom calling." and just left. I felt bad but today I can't help but laugh.
Bravo Nords! This is the essence of why we created KHSGRADS! Wow that was a great story. I know all 3 of you and I could picture it in my mine clearer than a 1080i 52" Plasma in Hi Def!

Nice story!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Jason Spoor wrote:My friends and I used to love playing "king of the hill" on those huge snowbanks in the IGA parking lot and at the church on Mission Street near my parents house. I remember playing once without any snow pants or boots on - oh man was that cold - I was sopping wet from head to toe but it was just too much fun to pass up. There were times when the church parking lot would have a snowbank about 10 yards wide and what seemed to be 8 feet high, well we used to build little forts in those things that we would spend all day playing in.
Roops, as a member of "Sunnyside Mafia" I love this story too. Classic Sunnyside... pure classic. King of the hill rules!