Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:Great post on the Sunnyside School Roops. Those were indeed very great times. I remember when the soccer ball got kicked over the fence and went accross the street. Every grade had a kid or two in their class who were "rebels" and would run accross the street to get the ball without asking the teacher. In those days we were supposed to tell the teacher on duty, who would walk accross the street with the person to go get the ball... I remember thinking how "cool" and brave those kids were who would actually go across the street to get the ball without telling the teacher... Complete rebels of the law!!!

I was just thinking the other night that when Roops and I were in Kindergarten, Simon was in 6th grade, so yes, we actually all went to school together as I believe it was K-6 back then... How sweet is that.
Great post Rock. I didn't realize that we were all there at the same time. I remember the "rebels" who would go get the balls that went over the fence! That was hilarious. I bet if you did a roll call of those renegades 80% of them have had run ins with the law! lol
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Simon Miller wrote:Great post Rock. I didn't realize that we were all there at the same time. I remember the "rebels" who would go get the balls that went over the fence! That was hilarious. I bet if you did a roll call of those renegades 80% of them have had run ins with the law! lol
Run ins with the law!!! LOL man... I can think of a few of those "rebels" who were around my grade and you are right in that most of them maybe made it to 9th grade...

Great stories as well Gwen. That must have been a bummer to have that shiner for the class photo...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I am happy to report that, even though I was one of those "Rebels", I did manage to graduate!

I used to hate it when the older kids would steal our balls and boot them onto the schools roof!!!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Jason Spoor wrote:I am happy to report that, even though I was one of those "Rebels", I did manage to graduate!
I thought you might have been one of those "rebels" Roops, but I didn't want to incorrectly accuse you. It was usually Mike Aussey among a few others.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I actually got a "Green Slip" (good) for yelling "Thank you" to some passer by who got a wayward soccer ball for us.

Roops, you are the man. That is why I said 80% of the "rebels." You are just a stallion... you went out of pure determination and loyalty to the game, not out of pure disregard for authority like the rest! lol
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I remember i got a pink slip for calling someone a "sucker" and yes, i mean with the S not the F. Go figure back then, i cant remember who it was tho. Nothing ever beat the Dunk ball days tho. But those fence to fence soccer games were the best.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Since we are talking about things that left Kellogg, some of you might be too young to remember, but how many of you remember the old Ford Dealership??? Used to be across the street from Circle K. And of course, how many remember the old Safeway?? Lots of things have come and gone in that town.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

So many things to talk about this morning--way to go everyone! I think maybe we should shut down the site for a couple of weeks every six months or so, just to get everyone's juices flowing again!

Coach--I'm having my one Starbucks of the week--just wanted you to know. (Since Starbucks is fifty feet from my room, I must use great self-control).

I definitely remember Safeway. As I mentioned recently, we lived over on Elm--basically behind Safeway--when I was in the sixth and seventh grade, so Safeway was the only store I visited. I can picture the inside now, and I know that it would seem really small to me at this point, but back then it just seemed like a normal grocery store.

I love that you young guys were in elementary school with that other young guy, Coach Miller, when he was a big sixth grader. Casey and Jason were probably almost as tall as Coach even then.

Gwen and I met in the sixth grade. Our class doesn't have any other regular contributors here, but a bunch of us keep in touch via e-mail on a fairly regular basis. I love that I have life-long friendships from Sunnyside.
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

One more thing, since I know he's too busy to find time to post here daily--David met his wife, Michele Damiano, at Sunnyside in the fourth grade. I wonder how many other now-married couples met there for the first time?
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

test

[quote][/quote]
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

My memory seems to be failing me...Safeway...that was on Division across from the Kopper Keg, yes? I don't think I entered that store more than once despite living on the east end of Cameron. I almost always when to Pik Kwiks.
And don't feel bad about getting a pick slip for calling a kid a sucker. My son was given detention for calling another kid a dork (circa 1995). Yeah, it's amazing what some teachers choose to jump on. *shakes head*
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Oh, i dont feel bad now, i look back on it and laugh. Bad words abck then arent bad words these days.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Ahhh Starbucks... I am envious LR.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Don't worry, they'll find Kellogg soon I'm sure.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:Don't worry, they'll find Kellogg soon I'm sure.
I will be counting the days. :lol:
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I suppose i'm too young to really remember it but i'd have to say the Bunker Hill mine was a great loss to Kellogg - I know losing it put a lot of people out of work and drove a lot of families out of Kellogg.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Jason Spoor wrote:I suppose i'm too young to really remember it but i'd have to say the Bunker Hill mine was a great loss to Kellogg - I know losing it put a lot of people out of work and drove a lot of families out of Kellogg.
Great addition. A paradox that is for sure. I am fortunate to remember the latter of the "Uncle Bunker" days... but the way they did things and the abandon of environmental caution really makes me wonder. They contributed so much to the Silver Valley, but they also put everyone at risk at the same time. I am sure the technology wasn't there that is here today. I am not pointing fingers or complaining, but the whole smelter thing is quite intriguing. I am amazed at some of the stories. I still want to read Ray Chapman's "Uncle Bunker."

We did a cross curricular unit when I was teaching 7th grade science called "History of the Silver Valley" and it was purely fascinating. I learned so much. Our Silver Valley is so rich in history and tradition.
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

Ok, let me challenge some of you out there. Before the Ford (and Mercury/Lincoln) dealer was at the corner of Bunker Avenue and Hill Street. Where was it?
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Jim--I'm stumped, and I'm one of the older members here.

I see you graduated with my brother Kevin.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Jim Bird wrote:Ok, let me challenge some of you out there. Before the Ford (and Mercury/Lincoln) dealer was at the corner of Bunker Avenue and Hill Street. Where was it?
My guess is up on McKinley avenue on the main drag, just up from the YMCA?