Kellogg Little League

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Ken Lagerquist

Kellogg Little League

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Hey Simon, how about those little league days?? Hey, werent we the first Kellogg All-Star team to win a game at districts in many years when we won our last year?? And how about those introductions we did!!! hahaha
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

That season was awesome. First of all, you left off the fact that Ellen's Drive In, coached by Delene Miller and Candy Alexander, went 11-1 winning the league under the pitching of Ken Lagerquist, and Simon Miller. Then our All-Stars got pimped out with new unis thanks to coaches McNearney and Bailey.

Anyway, here is what I can remember from the lineup. Ken, were you in center? I can't remember if Brad was both SS and Catcher depending on who was pitching...

Help me fill in the blanks.

Starting Pitchers: Mike Gunderson RHP, Jared Williams RHP

C: Brad Armstrong
1B: Kevin Hirsch
2B: Simon Miller
SS:
3B: Craig McNearney
LF: Rhonda Merrick
CF: Ken Lagerquist
RF: Brian Allen

Utility: Brandy Alexander, Mike Bailey,
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Golf Coach, good call on Rhonda Merrick. I remember her being a great athlete. That is cool you had a girl on the All-Star team.

Kellogg Little League was the best… Here are a few of my memories from those great days:

The cars parked on the hill, honking their horns when one of us hit a home run.
When each kid got 50 cents at the concession stand, it was like heaven and we could fill our mitt with candy.
The season opening Round Robin where each team got to show off their stud players…
The “Two, Four, Six, Eight. Who do we appreciate” chant slapping our mitts on one of our players on the pitcher’s mound after the game.
Riding bikes to All-Star practice with Roops, Fulton, Laskey, Phil Red, etc.
Bucky Fulton & Barny Norris – the 2 best Little League Coaches during Roops & My era and our All-Star coaches both years.
The pride of going to school the next day telling your good buddies that my team beat yours last night.
The big, red fence in the outfield; which was replaced by a chain length fence before my 11-year old season.
Chad Bailey hitting 1-armed home runs.
Scott Braun hitting bombs over the fence bouncing off of the trains passing by.
Roops smashing a home run way out of the park and through the Railroad Station’s window with Buck White inside.
Roops and I going head to head with each one of us bean balling each other in the same game.
Roops and I standing at the wall in right field, robbing Fulton's home runs during All-Stars batting practice. He would get so mad...

Good times indeed. I just went back to those days while taking a few minutes to write this up.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I may have mentioned this in the last incarnation of KHSgrads.com, but my friend, Rhonda Merrick (now Seagraves) is one of the few athletes I know of who went to state in four different sports (bball, vball, track, and then, after blowing out her knee, golf). That is cool that she was on the all-star team.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon,

Yea, the great Ellen's Drive-In team of 1984 was something that slipped my mind. As far as our line-up, BRad was at SS, Jared and Mike switched back and forth from cathcer and pitcher, i do remember that. But everyone else in the lineup was correct.
We sure ran thru that league that year with that one blemish on our record. And if i remember right, u lead the league in Home Runs that year with 5.
Remember Brandy Alexander quit because he didnt play and we brought in someone else, i cant remember who it was for the rest of the tournament.
Good Memories back then.
I also remember the great Miller family Van parked in the parking lot!! That was a good ol ride, especially when we went to Yakima for AAU!!! The memories are coming to me now!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:Golf Coach, good call on Rhonda Merrick. I remember her being a great athlete. That is cool you had a girl on the All-Star team.

Kellogg Little League was the best… Here are a few of my memories from those great days:

The cars parked on the hill, honking their horns when one of us hit a home run.
When each kid got 50 cents at the concession stand, it was like heaven and we could fill our mitt with candy.
The season opening Round Robin where each team got to show off their stud players…
The “Two, Four, Six, Eight. Who do we appreciate” chant slapping our mitts on one of our players on the pitcher’s mound after the game.
Riding bikes to All-Star practice with Roops, Fulton, Laskey, Phil Red, etc.
Bucky Fulton & Barny Norris – the 2 best Little League Coaches during Roops & My era and our All-Star coaches both years.
The pride of going to school the next day telling your good buddies that my team beat yours last night.
The big, red fence in the outfield; which was replaced by a chain length fence before my 11-year old season.
Chad Bailey hitting 1-armed home runs.
Scott Braun hitting bombs over the fence bouncing off of the trains passing by.
Roops smashing a home run way out of the park and through the Railroad Station’s window with Buck White inside.
Roops and I going head to head with each one of us bean balling each other in the same game.
Roops and I standing at the wall in right field, robbing Fulton's home runs during All-Stars batting practice. He would get so mad...

Good times indeed. I just went back to those days while taking a few minutes to write this up.
Casey, i sure remember that big red fence. I look at the field now, and it sure doesnt have that same feeling as it did years ago. I still have our All Star Video we made Simon. I havent seen it in awhile. I remember we used to bring that thing out when i would coem to town to visit, LOL
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yeah, the field looks so plain now adays. That red fence did give the field some "magic" and some color.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden