Favre Retires............................

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Ken Lagerquist

Favre Retires............................

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

FINALLY!!!!!! Dont get me wrong i dont have anything against him. He was a good QB, but definitely not my favorite. He was a true professional thats for sure. But these Packer fans are acting like this is the total end of the world! Get over it people. He is just a human being. I understand he has been there forever, but come on! Sorry, had to vent a little. Players come and go all the time, even a lot of Great ones, but it isnt anything to cry about. At least he isnt keeping people in suspense of whether he is coming back or not, now we know! He will be missed in the league, but there will be another great QB to replace him on another team. Ok, now you guys can hammer me for not being nice, oh well! LOL
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

I think the Packers are happy as can be right now. They have 10 million or so more to spend on free agents that they wouldn't have had if Favre stayed, and they already have their replacement QB lined up.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I do see why the Packer fans are upset though. They went from SuperBowl contenders next season, to probably not making the playoffs with Aaron Rogers at QB. I'm happy that Seattle got better by Green Bay (one of the top NFC contenders) getting worse.

Brett was never a favorite of mine, but boy I sure do respect the way he played the game, his toughness, and his will to win. As an NFL fan, I will miss him. Starting in 262 consecutive NFL games at QB I think is equivilent to Cal Ripken's streak as well, knowing that Brett could have got knocked out of any game at QB.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:I do see why the Packer fans are upset though. They went from SuperBowl contenders next season, to probably not making the playoffs with Aaron Rogers at QB. I'm happy that Seattle got better by Green Bay (one of the top NFC contenders) getting worse.

Brett was never a favorite of mine, but boy I sure do respect the way he played the game, his toughness, and his will to win. As an NFL fan, I will miss him. Starting in 262 consecutive NFL games at QB I think is equivilent to Cal Ripken's streak as well, knowing that Brett could have got knocked out of any game at QB.
I agree wit u 100% Casey. My feelings exactly. I respected him by the way he played the game. I think the consecutive games streak in the NFL is even more impressive than Cal Ripkens record just because of the tenacity in football and it being a contact sport and baseball not being a contact sport. It does help Seattle out alot. Oh by the way, Seattle signed TJ Duckett, hmmmmmm.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

My son has been a Favre fan since he was a wee one. And he converted me after many years of extolling Brett's virtues. I'm just glad Brett hung around long enough to have a great season as his last. I ended up rooting for Green Bay this past season because I knew the Seahawks didn't have what it took to go all the way, but I thought the Packers might.
Some of the moves the Seahawks are making this off-season make me wonder about next year as well...
*sigh*
I will miss Brett.
*nods*
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

The NFL could use more guys like Favre and less guys like Moss, Owens, and Vick.

Remember Green Bay, Wisconsin is smaller than Spokane WA. and they have an NFL team. Favre is Green Bay Football.

I agree Ken, he is just a player, but the NFL will miss his competitive fire, spirit, and desire to make his team better.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Lauren A. Scrafford

Post by Lauren A. Scrafford »

Simon Miller wrote:The NFL could use more guys like Favre and less guys like Moss, Owens, and Vick.

Remember Green Bay, Wisconsin is smaller than Spokane WA. and they have an NFL team. Favre is Green Bay Football.

I agree Ken, he is just a player, but the NFL will miss his competitive fire, spirit, and desire to make his team better.
I think Simon nailed it... I can't believe some of the comments. First I am not a Packers fan but I have enjoyed watching Brett Favre over the years. He is a class act and I wish there were more like him in the league, especially for our children and grandchildren to look up to.. This has nothing to do with Favre and competition from your favorite team, it has to do with a class guy hanging it up.. I am someone who has watched the NFL since before it became big time and Brett Favre is up there with the great ones. I am not saying he is the greatest but he has class and was a leader like Johnny U, Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Dan Marino on and on. Sometimes you have to throw your allegiances out the window and look at reality..

Lauren Scrafford
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Lauren A. Scrafford wrote:
Simon Miller wrote:The NFL could use more guys like Favre and less guys like Moss, Owens, and Vick.

I think Simon nailed it... I can't believe some of the comments. First I am not a Packers fan but I have enjoyed watching Brett Favre over the years. He is a class act and I wish there were more like him in the league, especially for our children and grandchildren to look up to.. This has nothing to do with Favre and competition from your favorite team, it has to do with a class guy hanging it up.. I am someone who has watched the NFL since before it became big time and Brett Favre is up there with the great ones. I am not saying he is the greatest but he has class and was a leader like Johnny U, Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Dan Marino on and on. Sometimes you have to throw your allegiances out the window and look at reality..

Lauren Scrafford
I agree Lauren. He was a great competitor, his consecutive games played streak, and some of those plays he made in the playoffs are prime examples. We all knew this day was gonna come. It isnt like the days when Magic had to retire out of nowhere because of HIV. Brett Favre has been toying with retiring for a few years. I was just watching some of the interviews of fans and they really get into it. Believe me, i always hate to see my heroes retire, but new heroes or players,however u want to put it come along. But ultimately we know they cant play forever, and i am sure it is harder for some folks to grasp because Favre could have probably played another year or two, but he went out on a good note when he still had game, not like marino when he was sliding fast
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Well I am a huge Favre fan and very disappointed he retired, but I understand it. He was one of the last players I've seen in along time that played with heart and toughness, much of that I haven't seen since the late 80's. He hung in with Green Bay even when they were playing with young/inexperienced players and were getting the asses kicked because he loved the game of football. How could you not respect a guy for that? He is probably one of the last true great icons of professional sports (other then Tiger Woods). Nowadays professional athletes are about getting paid and switching teams like they do their underwear and have no loyalty to the game or fans anymore, it's too much of a business and selfishness.

I would rank him as probably in the top 10 of all-time QBs if not in the top 5. He made the game exciting and alot of players should take note at how he played on and off the field.

I could understand why Green Bay is going through withdrawls, it's like when Jordan left Chicago. Just hasn't been the same since......and probably never will be..
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

I was never a GB fan, and I'm glad to see him go now after a great season. I have my doubts that he could have repeated it in 2008. Class guy though. My favorite game of his was after his Dad died. What a game he played.