fun invented games as kids

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Travis Fulton wrote:
Casey Fisher wrote:First of all, awesome initial post Golf Coach. Great, great stuff!!! The whiffle ball games were the best. I remember you guys creating the outfield fence in the old hospital lawn. LOL. And the Elephant Slide comment just made me laugh out-loud for a good 15 seconds!!!

Trav, the WrestleMania stuff was awesome in the basement... I also remember when you would play baseball on Atari. You were multi-talented as you could play a full game against yourself. With a joystick in each hand...
WOW....Atari. A Joystick and a red button - so funny....I do remember that and I also remember playing Baseball Stars with Fish and we would keep the stats on paper for ALL the players. Little did we know that the game actually kept the same stats for us. What we were going to do with the stats I am not sure.

The Elephant slide is a staple in Kellogg. It was home plate, a slide and a urinal all at the same time. In addition, it was located next to the famous hill that you would ride your bikes up and others there cars.........remember that hill by Poutto's house?

I have been so pumped up about all these old games we use to play, I went bought a roll of duct tape and am taping up a wiffle bat right now. I will call you tomorrow morning Thime - 7:30am Eastern
Why is it i can picture Trav actually doing this?? hahahahha
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

You are correct Lauren, It was Gary England (Page boy), damn, now my mind is going..but that was almost 50 years ago...lol. I think you are right, it was Earl Siler's pond. Sorry I left you out as a player.
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
Lauren A. Scrafford

Post by Lauren A. Scrafford »

Mike Biotti '68 wrote:You are correct Lauren, It was Gary England (Page boy), damn, now my mind is going..but that was almost 50 years ago...lol. I think you are right, it was Earl Siler's pond. Sorry I left you out as a player.
Mike:

The England's moved to Lewiston after our 6th grade year, they lived on the lower Page road on the left hand side as you started up the hill. Kind of a split level house if I remember correctly. He was on the SKS basketball team and a good kid.
Mrs England told me that my penmanship looked like chicken scratch... She was probably correct.

Ron Waldvogel was a great baseball player. You wanted him on your team as you didn't want to have to hit against him.
Ray tried to pitch but he was so wild you never dug in against him, as he never knew where the ball was going. Those were fun days. I remember playing baseball all day.

Hope all is well and great memories.

Lauren
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Excellent memories everyone...

BTW Trav, I still have my whiffle ball bat that is wrapped in electrician's tape from the 1980's. We are going to get a game together next time you are up here.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:Excellent memories everyone...

BTW Trav, I still have my whiffle ball bat that is wrapped in electrician's tape from the 1980's. We are going to get a game together next time you are up here.
I do too. :-)
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:

I do too. :-)
Remember when we used to tape the whiffle ball to get more drastic curves with our curve balls or was it so we could throw it harder? hahahah? man they were nasty
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Travis Fulton

Post by Travis Fulton »

Fish - you are on......wiffle ball is back this summer. I want to be Pedro Guerrero when I bat and Orel Hershiser when I pitch.

I am calling the Twins right now to see if they want to play.
Hey Thime, want to play some wif?
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Travis Fulton wrote:

Fish - you are on......wiffle ball is back this summer. I want to be Pedro Guerrero when I bat and Orel Hershiser when I pitch.

LOL, i can see you doing that too Trav!

actually, has anyone heard from the twins lately? I know Matt is out in the Portland area last i heard, he and Brian have met up a few times
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Travis Fulton wrote:

Nice... I will be Andre Dawson when I hit and Jack Morris when I pitch... I may have to look Brian Christman up so my team can have that left-handed pitcher to go lefty-lefty against you... LOL.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

Last time Trav was up we had a game outside Eddie Joe's. I hit like Pete O'Brian and pitched like Bobby Ayala. Could have been the gin.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Laurie Roberts wrote:Okay, I guess I'll get in on this craziness. My brothers (mostly Paul and David) created a whiffle ball golf course around our house on Emerald. This is when we were in college, mind you. You were allowed one club and a limited amount of athletic tape on the ball. It was a 36-hole course with a variety of hazards (the sidewalk was a lateral water hazard; the road was OB). Some of the holes had two-corner dog-legs that could be eliminated if you could hit over the house or a large tree. I spent a couple of summer scoffing at the amount of time they spent playing, and then, one day, the bug bit me. I was obsessed. I was playing all day long, going for the course record, establishing my handicap. Finally, one day Paul said, "if you can do this, we're taking you to Pinehurst to play the real thing." And thus began my golfing career.
Coach Roberts, this thread took off like wildfire and I missed this post somehow. Great story. It sounds like a parallel story to the days when Travee and I used to carve up Mission Ave. playing golf with real clubs and Nerf golf balls. We too went over houses, streets, etc. We would take turns emulating our favorites. Ray Floyd, Jack Nicklaus, Arnie Palmer... good times.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:
Laurie Roberts wrote:Okay, I guess I'll get in on this craziness. My brothers (mostly Paul and David) created a whiffle ball golf course around our house on Emerald. This is when we were in college, mind you. You were allowed one club and a limited amount of athletic tape on the ball. It was a 36-hole course with a variety of hazards (the sidewalk was a lateral water hazard; the road was OB). Some of the holes had two-corner dog-legs that could be eliminated if you could hit over the house or a large tree. I spent a couple of summer scoffing at the amount of time they spent playing, and then, one day, the bug bit me. I was obsessed. I was playing all day long, going for the course record, establishing my handicap. Finally, one day Paul said, "if you can do this, we're taking you to Pinehurst to play the real thing." And thus began my golfing career.
Coach Roberts, this thread took off like wildfire and I missed this post somehow. Great story. It sounds like a parallel story to the days when Travee and I used to carve up Mission Ave. playing golf with real clubs and Nerf golf balls. We too went over houses, streets, etc. We would take turns emulating our favorites. Ray Floyd, Jack Nicklaus, Arnie Palmer... good times.
Simon, u are right, it did take off like wildfire. It is awesome to hear some of these stories. Looking forward to hearing more stories from others!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Maybe BA can get on here and tell about the sweet games of "shoe fights" we had at their house! I remember Brenda coming home after one of these such battles and there were thick black scuff marks covering the staircase walls. Evidence of a mighty shoe battle that took place throughout the day between Brad, me, and the Twins. Not exactly a "sport" but sweet, nonetheless.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

Brenda and Sid put up with more junk from us kids than you could believe. I remember all of us getting in sleeping bags and racing down their stairs. I also remeber one time we were coming in and out of the hot tub at their house and got a bunch of grass on the living room carpet. The next thing you know Mike had the lawn mower in the living room, mowing it up! Classic good times!

What a fun town to grow up in.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Matt Morgan wrote:Brenda and Sid put up with more junk from us kids than you could believe. I remember all of us getting in sleeping bags and racing down their stairs. I also remeber one time we were coming in and out of the hot tub at their house and got a bunch of grass on the living room carpet. The next thing you know Mike had the lawn mower in the living room, mowing it up! Classic good times!

What a fun town to grow up in.
Dorgs,

Remember when we would go downstairs, wrap up in sleeping bags and blankets (individually) and then cut the lights and have total blind mayhem? Unreal!

You are right. Sid and Brenda were (and still are) AWESOME. We tore that place up, but they put up with it.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

Simon

How about the cedar closet? That was the best hiding place in the whole joint! :lol: Half of the stuff we did in that basement I don't how we escaped unharmed.

I remember running for my life when you and BA would gut a "magnum" and then try to capture the result in plastic bottles for all to enjoy! Oh my.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

LOL< i dont know how we all got away with everything did down at the Armstrongs!! U guys are right Sid and Brenda were good sports over everything all of us kids did there. I remember all of us kids running around in the mountains up there behind theirs and Dorgs old place. I knwo there was always soemthing that us older kids wouldnt do, but Dorgs and Lager would do it without any fear at all. I swear those two always had to one up one another!

I think the reasons we got away with everything we did was because our parents always knew where all of us were. If we werent playing slam ball, or whiffle ball, or half baseball, we were either at the Swimming pool or down on your guys side of town. And i agree with Dorgs, what a great town to grow up in and have these lifelong friendships like we do. Even tho Brian and i moved away, we still have strong ties to the valley. we both miss it alot.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:Maybe BA can get on here and tell about the sweet games of "shoe fights" we had at their house! I remember Brenda coming home after one of these such battles and there were thick black scuff marks covering the staircase walls. Evidence of a mighty shoe battle that took place throughout the day between Brad, me, and the Twins. Not exactly a "sport" but sweet, nonetheless.
When is BA gonna get on here and share some stories. Anyone heard from him lately??
Travis Fulton

Post by Travis Fulton »

I am playing Tecmo Bowl and it is 3rd & 3......what should I do :?:

Run 1
Run 2
Pass 1
Pass 2

Remember, the defense has the same options :|
Hey Thime, want to play some wif?
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I love all of this stuff! Tecmo bowl...hike the ball, run back til you're almost in you own inzone and throw it down field, leaving your opponent wondering where it's going and only seconds to cover. Love it!
Going over to Simons and having tourneys on the nin, or (I know Simon has told everyone that I had the first one BUT) I remember being over at Simon's and him and I think Hand or Brad showing me the multi-free guy move. I think I crapped my shorts right there.

In Fairway Heights we played baseball with a soccerball. You really had to crank on that one and we put second way out. Other than that we played alot of tackle football. I'd like to see one of you guys try to take down Scott Bumgardner while he's full speed. "Go for the knee's...and PRAY!!"
Oh, "Hals" is tougher than he looks!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."