KHS GOLF: Honoring and Remembering John Spoor

Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

KHS GOLF: Honoring and Remembering John Spoor

Post by Simon Miller »

Well, this season the weather has been anything but conducive to golf. There have been numerous cancellations, indoor practices, and postponed events. Each morning the KHS linksters wake up to 1-3 new inches of snow. The sunshine has been extremely rare and temperatures have made the game of golf into a game of survival.

In addition, the KHS Boys are experiencing a rebuilding year as there are many new faces to the varsity roster this season. There have been frustrations, disappointments, and lots of ups and downs, however, one thing has been a constant with the KHS Golf team, remembering and honoring a KHS Grad and friend of many, John Spoor. John's life ended tragically last summer in a devastating car accident while he was on his way home from a job accompanied by his sons Nick and Avery. KHS Golf has chosen this year to play in memory, honor, and dedication to John as a way of remembering, but also playing with a passion and purpose just like John did. John took up golf after high school and quickly developed into one of the better golfers at Pinehurst Golf Course. But it wasn't just golf that John had a passion for. John and his sweet spirit lived life to its fullest. He enjoyed the outdoors, family, friends, and loved ones. One couldn't help but feel like a close friend whenever talking to John, no matter how frequently the conversations took place.

So as KHS Golf moves forward, and faces new challenges of all kinds, one thing will keep things in perspective, and drive them at the same time. Remembering and honoring John Spoor.

As a symbol of this act, the KHS Boys golf team purchased team hats this year and on the right panel of the hats are the letters "J.S." Numerous people have already asked these young men what the significance of "J.S." was and they have proudly shared their mission.

Yesterday, the KHS Boys had a tournament in Post Falls, and afterwards they were to meet John's brother Jason AKA "Roops" to make a small presentation. (An official KHS Team Hat for Roops) After visiting on the bus ride over about what the symbol "J.S." on their hats represented, the boys shot their best team score of the year. Pictured below is the KHS Boys Varsity Golf Team with ROOPS.

The spirit of John Spoor lives on.

"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Unbelievably awesome Golf Coach!!! What a great thing to do...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

sweet. I don't have the words
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:sweet. I don't have the words
Sabbath,

And any other interested parties, I can order more hats if you want to buy one. After shipping etc, they run about $25.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon, what a great thing to do. This is pretty awesome!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Really cool and classy!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Hey Simon can you send me the details on how I a hat? I appreciate it...
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

Congrats to both the boys and girls teams for qualifying for state. Good luck to all in Buhl.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:Congrats to both the boys and girls teams for qualifying for state. Good luck to all in Buhl.
Thanks Sabbath. The boys didn't play all that well, but well enough to advance. The girls have a shot to place in the top 3 again. It should be fun.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Congrats Golf Coach and to both of your teams. Good luck at the State Tourney. Get 'em Cats!!!
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:Congrats Golf Coach and to both of your teams. Good luck at the State Tourney. Get 'em Cats!!!
Thanks Rock. The boys gutted one out yesterday. Definitely not our finest hour, but they did well enough...

On a bright note, this is the 6th consecutive State Trip for the boys and the 5th consecutive for the girls.

The girls should contend for a top 3 finish if they play well.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Congrats Coach! Keep us informed on whats going on and i will keep u informed on the Lakers! hahaha, just messing.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Let me add my congratulations, Coach. Nice work, as always.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Laurie Roberts wrote:Let me add my congratulations, Coach. Nice work, as always.
Thanks Coach Roberts. I sure has been a wacky season.
BM.Biotti

Post by BM.Biotti »

Simon, things like spirit of both golf teams make me very proud to be an alummni. I am also proud to have you as a friend. Great job and GO WILDCATS!!!
"A man worthwhile, is a man that can smile, when his pants are too tight in the seat" - Judge Smails
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

BM.Biotti wrote:Simon, things like spirit of both golf teams make me very proud to be an alummni. I am also proud to have you as a friend. Great job and GO WILDCATS!!!
Thanks for the kind word Brian. It is really an honor to get to coach the great game of golf at KHS. It is always great to hear from other KHS Grads and have their support.

The News-Press recently ran an article on the KHS girls team. There are a few misquotes but other than that a good read.

http://www.shoshonenewspress.com/articl ... orts01.txt