Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I do remember Svingen Motors on Cameron.
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

We have a winner! It was a couple doors up from the Y on McKinley. I must have been pretty young when my dad took me there to pick up our beautiful 1961 Ford Station Wagon from service. I remember it because there was parking on a lower level accessed by a ramp. Apparently it was something my little brain had never thought of before.

And yes Laurie, I did graduate with the famous Kevin Roberts. It would be nice if more members of the classes of the late 70's found this site.
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I'll put a word in to Kevin and Paul, but neither will find much time to surf. Oh no--famous?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Jim Bird wrote:We have a winner! It was a couple doors up from the Y on McKinley. I must have been pretty young when my dad took me there to pick up our beautiful 1961 Ford Station Wagon from service. I remember it because there was parking on a lower level accessed by a ramp. Apparently it was something my little brain had never thought of before.

And yes Laurie, I did graduate with the famous Kevin Roberts. It would be nice if more members of the classes of the late 70's found this site.
YES!! What do I win? :wink:
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

I said "famous" with tongue in cheek. But, we are talking about Kellogg, and I would bet that if one of the Roberts brothers were to enter the inner sanctum of Dick and Floyds (what was behind those double swinging doors anyway?) wearing their KHS letterman jackets, which they did often (wear their jackets, not enter D&F's), that someone at the bar would recognize them, and probably offer to buy them a beer, regardless of their age. They were of course three-sport varsity atheletes and were pretty recognizable. So, yeah, famous.

Back to topic. Does anyone remember the coffee shop/soda fountain that was in the basement of Damiano's Corner Drug?
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Yes, I remember that soda fountain. It wasn't there very long (or I wasn't very old when it left). I was down there a couple of times with Susan when we were in grade school.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Pat Cole

RE: Dick and Floyd's

Post by Pat Cole »

Jim Bird said:
if the Roberts boys were to enter the inner sanctum of Dick and Floyds (what was behind those double swinging doors anyway?) wearing their KHS letterman jackets, which they did often (wear their jackets, not enter D&F's), that someone at the bar would recognize them, and probably offer to buy them a beer

Sorry, Jim, but Dick and Floyd's is now closed to make room for more condos. Maybe you already knew that, and were speaking of the past.

I remember the lunch counter in Gary's basement. They had the best grilled tuna and cheese sandwich. Gary's Drug in Pinehurst is now closed and the pharmacy is in Yoke's.

:lol:

Pat Cole
Class of 1961 (now who is the old one?)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Jim Bird wrote:I said "famous" with tongue in cheek. But, we are talking about Kellogg, and I would bet that if one of the Roberts brothers were to enter the inner sanctum of Dick and Floyds (what was behind those double swinging doors anyway?) wearing their KHS letterman jackets, which they did often (wear their jackets, not enter D&F's), that someone at the bar would recognize them, and probably offer to buy them a beer, regardless of their age. They were of course three-sport varsity atheletes and were pretty recognizable. So, yeah, famous.

Back to topic. Does anyone remember the coffee shop/soda fountain that was in the basement of Damiano's Corner Drug?
"The inner sanctum of Dick and Floyd's" I love it. I am changing my "location" in honor of Jim's great description.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I know this is not kellogg and it is before my time but my dad wants to know if any youngins' know about the "boat" vs the "Barrel"?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Indeed...The Boat was just west of Smelterville and The Barrel was in Osburn. I've eaten at both at one time or another in the past. I believe The Boat still exists, but I'm not sure about The Barrel. I've not been to either since I moved back. :(
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

For Jim Bird... The old Ford garage was on the east side of Division Street between the bridge and the old Safeway. It was Seber Motors.
The garage uptown just past the YMCA and Twin City Hardware was Walker Chevrolet.
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

I remember when it was Densow's Drug and thesoda fountain was located on the main floor.

Does anyone remember Mary's restaurant that was located next to the drug store? Burnt down at Christmas time around 1959 or 60.

And it used to be Joe and Henry's before it was Dick and Floyd's.
Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

I don't think I can come up with 5! I grew up out in Elk Creek, so it might not count for Kellogg, but I miss the pond. Some people thought it wa an eyesore, not safe and all of that. But, I miss seeing it when I drive home now!
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

Dean Stanfield wrote:For Jim Bird... The old Ford garage was on the east side of Division Street between the bridge and the old Safeway. It was Seber Motors.
The garage uptown just past the YMCA and Twin City Hardware was Walker Chevrolet.
OK. Now that totally predates me. The only things I remember between Safeway and the bridge on the east side are the train station and the big pink building- a laundry? I know I was too young to even know what dealership was on McKinley. I just figured that since we had a Ford it was them.

Who remembers the drive-in/drive thru that was at the west end of Cameron Avenue? It must have closed after the freeway eliminated US 10 through Kellogg.

They eliminated Elk Creek Pond :!: :?: I remember some type of floating diving board and of course the ice skating during the winter. At one time the people that owned/ran the Elk Creek Store were named Butz or something and were the recipient of a crank call or two. (Not that I would know.)
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Who remembers the drive-in/drive thru that was at the west end of Cameron Avenue?

The one just east of the hospital? It opened right after the high school was built. I can never remember the name of it, but it was owned by Pat Metzgar. He owned the drive-in theater in Smelterville and the Pix theater (later turned into a roller rink) in Smelterville. His daughter Kathy Metzgar McPeak now sometimes works at the Boat.
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Jim from the looks of the sign painted on the top it looks like it was just an auto repair shop after the Chevrolet dealership moved to what is now Dave Smith.
(hope pictures show here)
http://www.westernmininghistory.com/pho ... f572aa.jpg
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Dean, GREAT picture. This reminds me, would you all like me to set up a gallery so you can upload pictures and share? They could be pictures of Kellogg, class pictures from school, or whatever. It is pretty easy to set up, I just wanted to know what everyone thought.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Simon Miller wrote:would you all like me to set up a gallery so you can upload pictures and share? They could be pictures of Kellogg, class pictures from school, or whatever. It is pretty easy to set up, I just wanted to know what everyone thought.
I was going to get some old class pictures together and just post them in the class of '96 thread.
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Yes, we need a place for pictures.
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Five of the best things that left Kellogg.

Saturday afternoon at the Liberty theater - double feature with 3 cartoons and a serial for 15 cents.
In the winter, spending all day at the Y with radar range hot dogs for lunch from one of the bars across the street.
In the summer, hitchhiking up the river and spending all day jumping off the black bridge--back when there actually were trains going across it.
You could actually go uptown and buy anything you could ever need. In fact people from Spokane came to Kellogg to shop in a couple of the stores.

And best of all...........The KHS Class of 1961!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!