Bernice Mellon, 1921 - 2008

A place to pay tribute and honor to those beloved KHS Grads who have gone before us.
Lauren A. Scrafford

Bernice Mellon, 1921 - 2008

Post by Lauren A. Scrafford »

I just saw in the News Press where my former neighbor Bernice Mellon passed away in Spokane at the age of 86. She never went to school in Kellogg but she was a cook at Silver King and later at KHS. A fantastic person Bernice was also a great neighbor in Smelterville. Bernice and Bill raised 3 daughters(Marilyn, Carol and Debra) and one son(Kermit) who all went through the Kellogg School System. She was my Mom's neighbor for nearly 50 years. Condolensces to her family and rest in peace.

best,
Lauren
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Lauren
Thanks for posting this. I'd been checking with the newspress for the last several days because Deb had mentioned that Bernice's obit should be in soon. I wanted to wait and get the particulars, because while I remember Bernice and Bill quite well, I just didn't have the details about her life. She gave many years of service to KHS and I'm sure many alumni have fond memories of her.

http://www.shoshonenewspress.com/articl ... mellon.txt

Bernice G. (Berg) Mellon
Posted: Friday, Jun 13, 2008 - 09:17:12 am PDT

Bernice Genevieve Mellon, 86, passed away quietly on June 3, 2008 at her home in Spokane, WA,. Private family services and inurnment will be held at a later date at the Riverside Cemetery in Campbell, Minnesota.

Bernice was born Sept. 28, 1921 at the family home in Brandon, Minn., the daughter of Carl and Grace (Loeks) Berg. She was the first of the siblings to arrive, and the last to pass. The family later moved to a farm near the community of Campbell, Minn., where she attended school, graduating in 1939. In 1940, she married Willis W. (Bill) Mellon, a "hand" at the family farm. They came to the Silver Valley area in 1953, and raised their four children. Willis passed away in 1998, and Bernice moved to the Spokane area in 2004.

Starting as a helper in the lunchroom at Silver King elementary school, she later became head cook at Kellogg High School in Kellogg, ID, retiring in 1978. She and Bill then traveled south annually, eventually purchasing a winter home in Arizona.

She was involved in 4-H in Minnesota, serving as a leader to many young charges. After moving to Idaho, she and Bill joined the Federated (United) Church of Kellogg, where she served for many years as the Superintendent of Sunday School, and was a member of the Plymouth Circle. She was a Brownie and Cub Scout leader, and a member of the Kellogg Ladies of Elks, serving as President. She was an extraordinary cook, and passed this legacy on to all of her children.

Survivors include three daughters: Marilyn (Gary) Larson of Smelterville, ID, Carol (Jim) Wieber of Spokane, and Deborah of Kellogg, ID; a son, Kermit of Nenana, Alaska; six grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband, her parents, two sisters and three brothers.

Riplinger Funeral Home of Spokane is in charge of local arrangements.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)