TV and Movies

The place to talk about anything you want.
Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

I knew Sylar wasn't going anywhere! That cockroach was the give away... And, I wonder if Nathan will actually end up being a villan. He just seems like he could be so bad. What is up with Hiro's dad? What does he have to do with everything? I LOVE THIS SHOW!
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

It's Sulu from Star Trek!!!
He's there to try and straighten Hero out, but Hero is on a mission!

I loved the subtitle "GULP!"
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

I heard on the radio that he had to audition so they could make sure he spoke Japanese well enough. GULP was so funny- he really gets all the best lines. They were trying to make us think that Hiro was being taken to Linderman...I knew Sulu was going to be on, but even still I didn't know thats who "the boss" was going to be. I wonder if he will be connected to Linderman, too.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Commercials

Post by Jason Spoor »

Okay folks, the big game is over and for many people that means the classic commercial debuts are over as well. I want to hear some thoughts about the best and worst commercial of this years Super Bowl.

I think Bud started strong with it's paper, scissors, rock commercial - I laughed at that one for a good minute straight.

The viewer made Doritos commercial was decent enough - Cheesy, Crunchy - lol, not bad.

Career builders.com had three good commercials as well.

Godaddy.com had a very poor showing IMO

The snickers kiss commercial - lol - very good.

the auctioneer priest at the wedding.

fist bump/slap face - lol

Letterman/Winfrey - pretty cool

My favorite is - the axe murderer - "But he has bud light"!!

My least favorite is - K-Fed - could have done without a K-Fed commercial.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

For the past several years, the quality of commercials has taken a dive, imho. Perhaps I'm just becoming tougher to impress after so many years of watching some really great Super Bowl commercials. However, both my husband and I agreed, our favorite commercial was the NFL commercial about saying goodbye. ;)
After catching part of the CBS special on Super Bowl commercials on Friday night, I was expecting a bit more from the Chevy contest winning commercial. It was a bit of a flop, imho. But then again, it could be because my expectations were too high.
I also think I'm no longer in the target audience of most of these commercials (if I ever was). Several times my teenage son laughed at commercials I didn't find all that humorous. And once or twice my husband laughed when I wasn't as amused.
I have to agree with you, Jason, on most of your picks. You certainly highlighted the best of the bunch (with the exception of the previously mentioned NFL commercial). I enjoyed the Winfrey/Letterman commercial quite a lot. Also, I the GoDaddy.com was a bit of a letdown, but the inclusion of the Teutuls made it tolerable. ;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

ah, I forgot about the NFL commercial "Saying goodbye is hard to do" - having Favre at the end was the kicker on that one. I can't believe I forgot that one!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good Analysis Roops/Gwen.

I agree with you Gwen in that I was overall disappointed with most of the commercials. There were some good ones, but a lot of them were a definite waste of 2.6 Million dollars, which is what a 30-second commercial cost this year.

I agree with Roops in that my favs were:

Bud started strong with it's paper, scissors, rock commercial

fist bump/slap face

My favorite is - the axe murderer - "But he has bud light"!!

I actually did like the K-Fed commercial. (Go figure, LOL). I thought it was funny that he was actually making fun of himself.

I loved the NFL Network Goodbye one too. Great ending to it with Favre coming back next year.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I'm sorry...what are we talking about? There was some big show on last night? I figured everyone was watching The Closer marathon on TNT, like I was.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Well, I watched part of The Closer marathon (after the game), but I'd already seen all those eps, so I watched the game. ;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Anyone catch Hero's?

I think Sylar is Creepy Good!
Nicki killing the doc was predictable.
Hiro and his meeting father was kind of cool. I hope we see more of him. Hiro's buddy digging Hiro's sister was funny.
But the REALLY COOL thing is Peter's character is really getting interesting. He's the anti-Sylar! He is the only one that will be able to fight him.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I watched Heroes for the first time since the new eps started back up. I have to say, I pegged Claire's daddy. It was too predictable. I think it's rather interesting that Peter basically has what Sylar's trying to get. The question is, will Peter figure out how to control it before Sylar finds Claire? ;)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

The question is how far will Clair's powers go? Can she be killed? Maybe Peter blows up on purpose so he can kill Sylar? I'm sure thats not the answer but who knows.

By the way, Lost starts back up this week. But I have to admit I like Hero's better now. Hopefully Lost can start pulling it together since they are planning an ending now. I think that has been their problem, trying to string out a story.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Re: Commercials

Post by Jason Spoor »

Jason Spoor wrote:The snickers kiss commercial - lol - very good.
Well that commercial didn't last long, it's been yanked already.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Has it really? That is funny...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Yes, apparently it was too controversial and some people were complaining about it.
*shrug*
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

It's to bad that a commercial that is funny will be complained about because it is either homo-phobic or I'm surprised that some group didn't complain that it was too homo-erotic. It was probably doomed from the beginning, but I thought it was hilarious!
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

Seems like there are too many people out there with no sense of humor...and wayyyy too much time on their hands to complain.

I'm sure Snickers hates it when gay people buy their candy bars so they needed to offend them so they would quit doing that.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I would think the commercial would warm the topic. Usually if you can laugh at something then it desensitizes (did I spell that right?) them to a tense topic.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

How's it going Knox? You sure kicked my butt last week.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

What did everyone think of the Half time show? I thought it rocked! I wish I could have heard a full Prince version of "all along the Watchtower".