Brett Favre

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Brett Favre

Post by Simon Miller »

Hey sports fans. Given recent events, I had to ask this. I love Favre. He is a true champion and competitor with a passion and love for the game.

With that being said, is he being selfish by his "un-retiring" and messing with the Packers' plans? Should the Pack release him? Will the Pack eat his salary and sit him as a backup to Rodgers?

Discuss.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Well, since i started a thread earlier on this, i guess i can reply to yours!!

I think Favre is being very selfish. I think this is worse than any of the NBA comebacks, because people welcomed them back. Anyway, he has messed with the Packer fans emotions for so many years and then to have such a tear jerking "retirement" and everyone expecting him to ride off into the sunset and then decide he wants to play again. I say if the Pack keep him, make him the backup and make him earn his spot back, he just doesnt get it automatically when he gets to camp. I agree with you Simon that he is a Champion and competitor, but come on Brett!! How many more years are you going to jerk the organization around with this i am going to retire, im not going to retire crap. How do u think this is messing with Rodgers head? He was probably extatic that he was going to get a chance to showcase his skills, now im sure he is having doubts because Brett is throwing his hat back in! I dont know, im tired of it. Favre is not my favorite QB of all time, so i have different feelings about it than some others do.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Sorry Ken, I'm going to play devil's advocate. I try to think about what if I was in his position. He was tired and worn out at the end of last season. He's probably had time to think about it and thought "you know I still can play and compete. I owe it to the fans who have supported me all these years to try and give them one more title." You know, as a vikings/seahawks fan, I hate the idea of him coming back. I will always respect him for his play and I will always be in awe of some of the stuff he did, but I would like nothing more than for him to go away into the sunset, but if he thinks he can play AND WIN I think he should try and play.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Yeah Ken, I saw your original, but with the new developments, I wanted to spark up the discussion and this was my only chance to get it posted before the Rock posted.

I see what you are saying Nords, but I agree with Ken on this one. If Favre still has the fire, he should have never retired in the first place and asked to be traded or released or something. IMO this way he can "come back" and it will be the Packers who look bad if they don't let him.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Nords i know what you mean, dont get me wrong, he was/is a great QB, can still play, he showed that last year. maybe he should have taken a little more time to make up his mind originally like he normally does? I think the PAckers are handling this situation pretty well. An individual "retires" from the league, the team had moved on, and he expects them to welcome him back with open arms??? come on, and then expects them to release him, why should they?? He comes into camp as the backup and has to earn the starting slot, if he earns it, then so be it.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Simon Miller wrote:I wanted to spark up the discussion and this was my only chance to get it posted before the Rock posted.
LOL. The Rock has no comment. I am beyond tired of hearing about it and it sickens me that this is the top story everyday in the sports world.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Simon Miller wrote:I wanted to spark up the discussion and this was my only chance to get it posted before the Rock posted.
LOL. The Rock has no comment. I am beyond tired of hearing about it and it sickens me that this is the top story everyday in the sports world.
The ROCK has spoken!

Good call Rock.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:
I agree 100%, it is ridiculous, Brett Favre has become more of a prima donna than before! sick sick sick
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

O.K. Ken, I'll go as far as being wrong on whether he should come back or not but I think "Prima Donna" is a bit of a stretch. I for one would not like to take as many hits...Severe... hits as he has and still get up and play like he did.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Mike Nordin wrote:O.K. Ken, I'll go as far as being wrong on whether he should come back or not but I think "Prima Donna" is a bit of a stretch. I for one would not like to take as many hits...Severe... hits as he has and still get up and play like he did.
Well, i didnt mean it as him being a prima donna his whole career. Believe me, i respect him as the player he was by being able to take those hits and get back, he is probably the toughest qb to play the position. But with the way he has dragged the team along over the last few years with this stuff, i really think he likes the media attention. and i didnt mean for it in a bad way. But this whole thing taking over the top stories in the media is ridiculous. But that is just my opinion, dont hold it agaisnt me!!! :D And we all know what they say about opinions!! Thats why i love this site, we ALL have our likes and dislikes and can voice them and not upset anyone!!

And Mike, u arent wrong about you feel he should come back or not, you feel the way u do about it and i do too. i dont think anyone is wrong in this in how they feel
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

I have been a Favre fan for along time, he plays with all heart how could u not like the guy. I know he's frustrated with the organization because they haven't been getting him any help, they been very lucky with the young talent they have but most of it has been on the back of Brett (or should I say arm?). Think about if Green Bay picked up Randy Moss, now that would have been interesting. So I can't blame him for being frustrated with management.

I would like to see him play in Green Bay again and finish his career there, I think he's earned the right. If they release him I think that would be a big mistake on their part. But the guy has earned the right to play regardless, his one of the last gun slingers from the Marino/Elway/Montana days and he does anything to win.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

I think he should play until his broken down body will no longer allow it. Hell that's what all of the rest of us do with our own sports, and we don't even get paid for it! If he really just wants to play, then he'll play for a reasonable amount of money. the packers have opporated all offseason assuming they no longer had to worry about his huge salary. Would be awfully hard for them to do an about face now and add a 10 million or so salary to the team they weren't planning on. However if Brett wants to come back for a reasonable amount (2mil?) then by all means they should welcome him back.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

"I think he should play until his broken down body will no longer allow it. Hell that's what all of the rest of us do with our own sports, and we don't even get paid for it!"-Pipe
I totally agree.
I do agree that this thing has become waaaayyy overblown. Also, I personally wouldn't care if he wore another uniform (although I would prefer a team from the AFC...GO BILLS).
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Mike Nordin wrote:"I think he should play until his broken down body will no longer allow it. Hell that's what all of the rest of us do with our own sports, and we don't even get paid for it!"-Pipe
I totally agree.
I do agree that this thing has become waaaayyy overblown. Also, I personally wouldn't care if he wore another uniform (although I would prefer a team from the AFC...GO BILLS).
I think Favre and the PAck need to move on. I say, trade him to another team for some good decent talent, maybe 2 or 3 players, but dont let him walk and get nothing in return. If you bring him back, then trade Rodgers somewhere else so he can play since he has sat behind him for 4-5 years already, especially since they drafted Brohm this year. Two very easy scenarios for the pack to do. I really dont have a problem with him coming back, but i think this whole thing has been handled wrong by both parties. i really think he made a rash decision in retiring and trying to put the blame on the Packers for forcing him to is a LAME excuse IMHO.