Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I also remember seeing some old pictures where uptown Kellogg was embedded with parking meters...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Yes we had parking meters. Picture from 1956
http://www.pstos.org/instruments/id/kel ... 1956-l.jpg
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Cool picture! That's the year my parents got married in Kellogg. It's nice to see what it looked like then.

When we returned to Kellogg in 1975 (after eleven years away), there was still a traffic light at McKinley and Main.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great picture Dean... I have actually seen this picture for sale on ebay. My dad and I were looking at it last summer when I was at the parents' house. The large building on the bottom left, which would be accross the street from the McKonnel Hotel was a large bank that I heard burnt down or something. Any truth to this/stories. This is in the spot where the current Wells Fargo is located.

Also, the parking meters are there and Roops' favorite hang out, the IOOF.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Since we are talking about things that left Kellogg, some of you might be too young to remember, but how many of you remember the old Ford Dealership??? Used to be across the street from Circle K. And of course, how many remember the old Safeway?? Lots of things have come and gone in that town.
Ken,
I remember the Ford garage really well -- that is the place where husband and I bought 2 brand new Ford trucks right off
the convoy trucks -- from Mac!! One was a 1975 and the other a 1978 -- Our oldest son has the 1978.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

I'm so glad this is back!! I was born and raised in the Kellogg area and have many memories. I posted alot of them on
when this site was up before. I do remember the old Boat as I worked there as a car hop for Tex & Gracie Galbreath. I
also worked at Knox Variety ( now In Cahoots, formerly Kopper Keg)
Does anyone remember Huttons and their machine that you put your foot into and you looked into it and could see your
bones? I always thought that was so cool. I think I was around 5 or so when that left.
How about some of the most fun dances upstairs at the bowling alley --- Remember "The Shadows"?
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I miss
1. Double Dragon and French Fries at the Kopper Keg
2. Ice Cream Cones at the Lincoln Mall
3. Pastrami Sandwiches and Taco Tuesday at Fred's
4. The Pinehurst Tavern(although not really in Kellogg)
5. Jumping sleds into the hospital lawn off of the High School trail
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Matt... lol see "snow memories" thread!

You rode that sled like a hellmaster!

I also need to post about playing "guns" and riding the "nature trail to hell" above the high school trail. You are the only one to ride it on a 10 speed with no seat. You were untouchable back in the day morgs. I am sill in awe of some of the things you pulled off.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Vicki - yes I remember the foot thing at Huttons. And the shoe salesman was a man with a "bum" leg named Jack.
Spent many hours at the Boat playing pinball machines and remember the dime store at the bottom of the hill and nickle
cokes there. And also summer dances at the bowling alley.

Casey - yes the brick building at the bottom left was the Weber Bank. Not too long after this picture was taken they put large black tiles on the outside of the bank part of the building. Romer Brown used to have the job of washing the tiles every Saturday morning. Great job for a kid.
I don't know if it burned or what.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

My Dad remembers walking down from Wardner and working at the bowling alley pick up pins. Pennies for Pins.

Any one remember the J & K in Pinehurst? I loved their food. Nothing healthy about it...Yes!

Anyone remember Pop-Shop-Bottles? I loved how you could pick up a case of mixed flavors. I swear there was like 25 different flavors.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Pat Cole

RE: J & K Drive In

Post by Pat Cole »

Mike, I remember the J & K Drive In and their food was something my kids always wanted to go get when their Dad was working an afternoon shift. You're right when you say nothing too healthy oh so good! It was either that or pizza at the Fun Center in Smelterville.

Dean, the man who worked at Hutton's (Jack Ladd) and fitted shoes was John Ladd's uncle.

If memory serves me correctly, and I'm not too sure sometimes how good it is, the Weber Bank did burn. Couldn't tell you when though.

Dean, there are three of us on the list now.

How many out there remember The Boat when it looked like a boat and there was one in Coeur d'Alene, too.

Pat[/b]
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

Let's see...I for some reason don't remember the foot fluoroscope at Huttons, but I do remember one at Vang's Shoe Store down McKinley Ave. Like we all needed more radiation in our lives. I was disappointed when the Boat that looked like one was rebuilt to sort of look like one. (Was there a fire?) The one in Cda too. For a few years at least in the late 70's it was owned by the mother(or Parents) of a KHS girl named Cindy Wright (would have been class of 78 had they not moved to CDA). Good steak fingers. I remember getting my PF Flyers at Hutton's-thought those Converse shoes weren't stylish enough or something. How many stores had the tube tester in the front? I played with the one in Safeway for hours it seemed, waiting for my mom to check out.

Does anyone remember Zeke's TV Repair on Railroad Ave? Owned by Zeke Orlandini (sp?) He and his brother Bruno lived in one of the houses and Zeke had a little electronics shop in the back. I'm pretty sure this was a side biz.
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Vicki Spoor

Re: RE: J & K Drive In

Post by Vicki Spoor »

patcole wrote:How many out there remember The Boat when it looked like a boat and there was one in Coeur d'Alene, too.
I most definetly remember the Boat when it looked like a boat, as I worked there and put the trays of food on peoples
car windows -- what fun that was!!! I do also remember the Boat in Cda - it was right across from my Grandmother's motel
"The Coeur d'Alene Motel"
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

How many people remember the S&R/Ann's Drive Inn in Kellogg?
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Pat Cole

RE: S&R/Ann's Drive In

Post by Pat Cole »

Gwen, are you talking about the drive in that used to be across from the Silverspoon? It used to be owned by Faye McCall, and the Ann part, wasn't that your grandmother? I do remember it, but then I am from an older generation than most of the people who post here. Ouch! I hate to admit that. :lol:

Pat
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Pat
Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. I don't remember the S & R very well, but I remember the Ann's part. ;) I used to love to spend time down there when I was a kid.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

I most definetly remember the Boat when it looked like a boat, as I worked there and put the trays of food on peoples
car windows -- what fun that was!!!

Vicki - who were you before you were a Spoor? and what years did you work at the Boat?

Jim - I think, but not totally sure, that Zeke worked at Sunshine in addition to fixing tv's and radios.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Gwen Johnson wrote:How many people remember the S&R/Ann's Drive Inn in Kellogg?
I remember Anns Drive Inn and Owl lady - she had quite a collection of owls!!! -- I also remember her chocolate
peanut butter milk shakes!!! Ymmmmmm
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Dean Stanfield wrote:Vicki - who were you before you were a Spoor? and what years did you work at the Boat?

Dean, My maiden name was Schaffer and I graduated in 1966 -- worked at The Boat somewhere around '64-'66 -- not sure of the exact time -- Also worked at Knox Variety around the same time frame
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

Who remembers the bowling alley in the basement of the YMCA? I used to set pins for the Bunker Hill League. You had to be fast or the guys bowling would chew you out. Pay was 10 cents a game and usually got a quarter tip from each team if I did a good job.
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me