Zags 2008-2009

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Zags 2008-2009

Post by Mike Nordin »

Zags 2008-2009
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

ZAGS pre rankings #4 baby!

I know, its just Goodman's opinion, but I'm ok with it.

Jeff Goodman's Top 25
1. North Carolina Tar Heels
2. Michigan State Spartans
3. Louisville Cardinals
4. Gonzaga Bulldogs
5. Connecticut Huskies
6. Duke Blue Devils
7. UCLA Bruins
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
9. Pittsburgh Panthers
10. Purdue Boilermakers
11. Texas Longhorns
12. Georgetown Hoyas
13. Memphis Tigers
14. Tennessee Volunteers
15. Miami Hurricanes
16. Arizona State Sun Devils
17. Oklahoma Sooners
18. Marquette Golden Eagles
19. Villanova Wildcats
20. UNLV Runnin' Rebels
21. Florida Gators
22. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
23. USC Trojans
24. Wisconsin Badgers
25. Syracuse Orange
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

The words 'pipe' and 'dream' come to mind.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

It definitely is going to be a very interesting season. Talent wise, they are flat-out loaded. However, their two weaknesses are probably the two most important factors in basketball: Defense and Rebounding...

If they get in shootouts and high-scoring affairs, the Zags can beat most anybody. And they will always have a chance to win based on their talent alone. I can't wait for Thanksgiving weekend and the Old Spice Classic. They play Oklahoma State, then either Michigan State or Maryland; and finally they will play probably either Georgetown or Tennessee in the 3rd game... Great stuff...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

They definitely arent the #4 team in the country, but thats not to say that they cant be. Like Casey said, they are definitely loaded, we went to see the Midnight Madness and they have all the talent in the world. Rebounding and Defense will be tough for them, they definitely need some bangers down low, they may be a little soft on the front line. They need a Turiaf type of guy, thats for sure. Heytvelt is healthy this year and looked good at Midnight MAdness, and everyone else looked pretty sharp. Will be a good fun season for them
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a College Hoops season to start and it's not just because the Seahawks and Cougs are a combined 3-16... The Zags should have a phenominal year if they can stay healthy and get good production out of Heytvelt for a complete season. They are flat-out loaded at the 1,2, & 3 positions.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:I don't think I've ever been so excited for a College Hoops season to start and it's not just because the Seahawks and Cougs are a combined 3-16... The Zags should have a phenominal year if they can stay healthy and get good production out of Heytvelt for a complete season. They are flat-out loaded at the 1,2, & 3 positions.
I agree with you there Casey, but the Zags are completely loaded 1-10 IMHO!! if one guy gets hurt, they have someone else to step in and contribute and probably not lose much. They will only go as far as PArgo takes them, he is the key. If he plays as a pure point guard and gets everyone involved, they will go a long way, but if he tries to take over every game, then they dont do jack diddly squat.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:I agree with you there Casey, but the Zags are completely loaded 1-10 IMHO!! if one guy gets hurt, they have someone else to step in and contribute and probably not lose much. They will only go as far as PArgo takes them, he is the key. If he plays as a pure point guard and gets everyone involved, they will go a long way, but if he tries to take over every game, then they dont do jack diddly squat.
I agree with you on Pargo Ken. 100%... I say Heytvelt is the key though because if he gets hurt again, they are in trouble as he is the only center they have. Foster is just tall and who knows when Sacre will come back...
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Ken Lagerquist wrote:I agree with you there Casey, but the Zags are completely loaded 1-10 IMHO!! if one guy gets hurt, they have someone else to step in and contribute and probably not lose much. They will only go as far as PArgo takes them, he is the key. If he plays as a pure point guard and gets everyone involved, they will go a long way, but if he tries to take over every game, then they dont do jack diddly squat.
I agree with you on Pargo Ken. 100%... I say Heytvelt is the key though because if he gets hurt again, they are in trouble as he is the only center they have. Foster is just tall and who knows when Sacre will come back...
Good Point also Casey
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I cannot wait until the Thanksgiving Old Spice Tourney. They will play Oklahoma State, then Michigan State or Maryland, then probably Georgetown or Tennessee; Although I am going out on a limb and say that they will play Sienna either in the Championship or the 3rd place game. As a 13-seed they smoked 4 seed Vandy last year in the NCAA tourney and they have all 5 starters back...

I just hope that Gonzaga and Michigan State both win their first game as this would be one heck of a match-up in the Semis.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:The words 'pipe' and 'dream' come to mind.
If it was my dream they would be #1 :D
Brian Stovern

zags

Post by Brian Stovern »

Plenty of height this year. starting 6-8, 6-11, 6-11 across the front line. unfortunatly none of them play a physical game inside. closes thing to a physical presence they have inside is Ira Brown, and he's only 6'4". the rest of them are mostly soft. Not saying you can't win that way, but it's hard when you have an off night shooting. And has anyone looking a the team picture for the year? I think Austin Daye is over 7' now. He looks to be the tallest guy on the team after Foster.
Ken Lagerquist

Re: zags

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Brian Stovern wrote:Plenty of height this year. starting 6-8, 6-11, 6-11 across the front line. unfortunatly none of them play a physical game inside. closes thing to a physical presence they have inside is Ira Brown, and he's only 6'4". the rest of them are mostly soft. Not saying you can't win that way, but it's hard when you have an off night shooting. And has anyone looking a the team picture for the year? I think Austin Daye is over 7' now. He looks to be the tallest guy on the team after Foster.
I just looked at that picture Brian, and you may be right. That is also one tall front line!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

After an impressive weekend in Orlando, the Zags have moved up to #5!!!!!! hopefully they can keep this up all year long
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Zags looked strong last night in the second half. In my opinion, they definitely looked Final Four caliber team. They are only going to get stronger, now if they can just stay out of foul trouble!!!
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I agree on the excellent second half. Tenn. was a big win (whom they will play again in the regular season), but they must win the Uconn game to be taken seriously. GO ZAGS!!!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I agree they need to win that UConn game, but i dont think it is the end all for games if they do lose. This team is still strong enuf to make a deep run in the tourney and still get to the final four even if they lose to UConn, that means they will just come back and beat them in the Final Four in the rematch!!
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Once again Ken, I like your logic. I too would take a lose during the season if it meant a championship game apperance. Uconn is big and tough. I just hope the Zags don't get over focused. They seam to do better when they're loose.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Zags first loss of the season against UA. ITs good to get it out of the way, hopefully they will come out swinging against UCONN!.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

They definitely got knocked off of their high horse last night. Arizona just out-played them and wanted it more... Like you said Ken, they totally have a chance to redeem themselves on Saturday against UConn.