KHS Golf

Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

KHS Golf

Post by Jason Spoor »

Did I see the scores correct Mr. Miller - did you guys win the match at Twins Lake GC by over 30 strokes???? Four of the top five scores belong to KHS golfers?????
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Simon, how is the golf team doing?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

OK, I have been slacking off on the KHSGrads boards big time, so here is my quick synopsis:

Boys had a solid season. Two remaining members from the 2005 State Championship Team are now Seniors. Kyle Finlay and Sam Redmond. These two finished 1 and 2 for IML individual and did a great job for us this year. The Boys captured their 3rd consecutive IML title and finished 2nd at Districts. Today, Kyle and Sam led the way, but didn't get much help from 3, 4, and 5. They finished 8 strokes off the "cut" and 7th overall out of 13 teams.

The Girls also had a solid season, especially considering the fact that we lost 3 to graduation last year, including overall medalist and North Idaho Female Golfer of the Year, Sue James. This year the girls did a great job picking up where last year's 2nd Place State 3A Tournament (2006) left off. Led by Juniors Taryn Cochrane, and Alyssa Jarvey, the girls captured their 4th consecutive IML Title as well as their 4th consecutive District Title. They are currently in 4th place and will play for another banner tomorrow at Prairie Falls Golf Course in Post Falls. Perhaps we can stop by Caruso's deli on the way home. :wink:

Overall, another solid year for KHS Golf. The future is very bright for the girls, and the boys will be rebuilding next year.

More details later!

Coach Miller
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Ya you slacker :wink: you haven't been doing anything. I mean, you've only been out there working hard at making us k-log fans proud.
Simon, we all know this is your "slow" time of year. If I remember correctly last year you were on here alot more during the summer. We'll catch up then.
How's Amy and your daughter? Is she swinging the sticks yet? :D
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Yeah this is my "slow" time. :) I will definitely do some catching up in the next few months. I have been reading all the activity but just don't have time to post any significant replies.

Anyway, sports fans, here is an update. Again it will be brief, as I just really got settled in and am off to bed shortly. (sorry I missed your call Coach Roberts... I don't have cell service at home, but my voicemail/missed call notification will work occasionally)

The girls were sitting in 4th place after day 1, trailing 3rd place Declo by 10 strokes. Today, they mounted a pretty impressive comeback to overtake Declo and take 3rd Place at the State 3A Tournament. It was a very solid outing for them. We have 2 Juniors and 3 Sophomores and the way they stepped up today and improved by 14 strokes from their team score yesterday was very impressive. I was extremely proud of them. This continues a nice run for the girls:

IML Champions
Dist. I Champions
State 3A 3rd Place

IML Champions
Dist. I Champions
State 3A 3rd Place

IML Champions
Dist. I Champions
State 3A Runner Up

IML Champions
Dist. I Champions
State 3A 3rd Place

Another golf season in the books. Coach Roberts knows how bitter sweet it is at the end of the season. The Spring sure flies by... you start out the season in the lingering snow of late February, and you finish in the mid-May sun. A journey of sorts in more ways than one. Lots of ups and downs and lots of fun too!
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I just arrived in Tacoma, and fortunately I have access to a computer here in the lobby. David and I aren't as young as we used to be, but we both managed to stay awake on the post-work drive.

Congrats, Coach! It's so great to gain a spot on the second day, and not an easy thing to do.

You're the man!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Congrats Golf Coach and all KHS golfers. Another tremendous season to all!!! In my eyes Kellogg High School Golf has a dynasty going. The last 15 to 20 years are filled with State Tournament Placing Golf Banners hung up in Andrew's Gymnasium. Way to get another one this year ladies!!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Thanks guys. It has been a great season. I also forgot to mention that Kyle Finlay and Sam Redmond finished 1st and 2nd individually in the IML this season. This continued a bit of a streak as well.

IML Boys' Individual Medalists the past 3 years:

2005: Derek Jarvey (KHS)
2006: Shea Sevy (KHS)
2007: Kyle Finlay (KHS)

I don't think the streak will continue next season, but anything is possible.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Did I see that the Kellogg girls took second place in the state golf tournament? Way to go, Coach!

LR
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Laurie Roberts wrote:Did I see that the Kellogg girls took second place in the state golf tournament? Way to go, Coach!

LR
Well, I was going to post updates especially after our return, but since our charter bus broke down about 2 hours south of Butte, and we didn't get home until after 6AM yesterday... long day yesterday.

The first day at Clear Lake CC was one of the toughest days for golf I have witnessed. The wind blew 25-30mph all day and wreaked havoc in a big way. One of the best golfers in the tournament took an 18 on hole #9. Yes an 18!

Anyway, my boys struggled mightily but they still qualified for the State Tourney for the 6th consecutive year. That in itself is an accomplishment.

On the girls' side, they were simply awesome. I am so proud of them. They made a run at Shelley on the first day and fell short, but they captured their 5th consecutive top 3 finish at the State 3A tourney.

Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon, congrats on the results. way to represent!!

By the way, Dad and Brian are in the Valley, and Brian said he was going to try and stop by. just giving ya heads up!! u need fair warning, LOL. Grandmas service is Saturday in Pinehurst, thats why they are around. im sure a big portion of my family will be running around.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Travis Fulton

Post by Travis Fulton »

Sabbath

Congratulations!!!

It is really neat to see all the success that KHS golf continues to have. 2nd place for the girls again this year is unbelievable considering how young they are - please pass along my congrats to them as well as the boys.

You have done such a great job with the golf team.
Hey Thime, want to play some wif?
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

Congrats to both teams. Good job everyone.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

In honor of the sports banquet tonight I figured I would give a very brief summary of Wildcat Golf 2009.

The weather was the worst I have seen it for Spring sports in a long, long time. We have had slow thawing Spring seasons, but this one was bizarre and unbearable.

Nonetheless, we expereinced some success, and brought home our 7th banner in 6 years.

Boys:
IML: 2nd
DIST: 2nd
State: 7th consecutive berth to State.
Boys had 3 freshmen crack the top 5 (varsity), which is a really good sign for the future.

Girls:
IML: 1st
DIST: 1st
State: 3rd (6th consecutive top 3 finish)
Girls graduate 3 Seniors, but have 3 Freshmen ready to step in next year. 2 of the freshmen girls were on Varsity and participated in the State 3A Tourney. We also have 2 time Idaho State Champion, Kaceelyn Pouttu coming to KHS next year as a freshman which will make a huge impact.

The future of KHS is very bright indeed.

Signing off for now,

SM
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

2009 IML Girls Golf Coach-of-the-Year

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Congratulations to you, Simon on winning that well-deserved award! I know it's not your first and it probably won't be your last. Way to go, coach!
:D
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)