Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

Who remembers the bowling alley in the basement of the YMCA? I used to set pins for the Bunker Hill League. You had to be fast or the guys bowling would chew you out. Pay was 10 cents a game and usually got a quarter tip from each team if I did a good job.
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I mentioned ealier that my Dad used to walk down from Wardner and do that also.
I heard a rumor that you used to be the mayor of Pinehurst, is that true?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Biotti '68

Yup...I was the mayor of Pinehurst for 7 years in the 80's. Heres one from way back......anybody remember the name of the little tavern at the bottom of the Page road and how it got it's name? I think it burned down around 1956 or so. I will reveal tomorrow if nobody can answer.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

"Three Toots" because when people would drive by at the bottom of page to pick up for work would give three toots with their horns.
I can't take claim for this, my mother gave the answer.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Biotti '68

NIce job Mike. exactly correct but u cheated a little. I usually stump everyone with that one....guess I'll have to dig a little deeper...lol.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Oh, I admit I cheated! My family is from the other side of Page, above Fairway Heights. We used to own the Pine Creek Dairy, and all the property that Fairway heights and the park are on. Now, whats left of what my family owns is two houses. It actually saddens me to talk about it, but I guess we all move on.
Sean Biotti

Post by Sean Biotti »

The biggest loss for me was definitely good old Silverhorn. I have alot of great memories of racing and just free-skiing with friends in those days. My crew used to rule that hill. There were alot of changes taking place in Kellogg and in my life at that time. I never was fond of the idea of abandoning our mining heritage for the alpine village theme, either. After the expansion and the change to Silver Mountain :( my passion for skiing was lost.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Sean Biotti wrote:The biggest loss for me was definitely good old Silverhorn. I have alot of great memories of racing and just free-skiing with friends in those days. My crew used to rule that hill. There were alot of changes taking place in Kellogg and in my life at that time. I never was fond of the idea of abandoning our mining heritage for the alpine village theme, either. After the expansion and the change to Silver Mountain :( my passion for skiing was lost.
Silverhorn! YES! We used to spend every weekend up there! I remember looking up to Sean and his "crew" because they were such awesome skiers. We had our own "crew" but we werent' in the same league as Sean and co. I remember we would all be in awe of the way those guys skied the bumps and the big air they used to get. Sean's brother Brian was our age, but he was a great skier too, and generally skied with the "big dogs."

I too wish they would have embraced the mining heritage instead of the alpine theme, and perhaps they will now that Silver Mt. is getting back to that theme.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

To me it always seemed like they were copying Leavenworth Washington. It's hard to pull something like that off when someone else has been doing it longer, better, and does have the heritage to back it. Our families are mostly miners and we should have some pride with that.
In their defense though, they probably just wanted to distinguish themselves from wallace.
Sean Biotti

Post by Sean Biotti »

ty for the kind words, Simon. I remember you being there every time I was there, which was every day we weren't in school (plus a couple weekdays maybe)Mike B don't read this: I remember a few sunny days after a fresh snow when Mike Mandoli and I decided that killing that fresh powder in the sunshine was more important than getting perfect attendance at KHS! To my knowledge, we never got caught.

Simon's being modest. He knew how to get down the mountain. Really great times.

I can tell right now that this website is going to have an impact on my production. Thanks, Simon.
Mike Biotti '68

As if I didn't know you blew off a few days at school. I think I may have skipped a few myself ......huh Ackie (Alex D')
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Sean Biotti wrote:ty for the kind words, Simon. I remember you being there every time I was there, which was every day we weren't in school (plus a couple weekdays maybe)Mike B don't read this: I remember a few sunny days after a fresh snow when Mike Mandoli and I decided that killing that fresh powder in the sunshine was more important than getting perfect attendance at KHS! To my knowledge, we never got caught.

Simon's being modest. He knew how to get down the mountain. Really great times.

I can tell right now that this website is going to have an impact on my production. Thanks, Simon.
Ha ha. Great post. That is a great story of you and Mike Mandoli! ha ha. Oh and you guys were indeed awesome skiers. What was even better was how great you treated us young guys. You guys always stuck up for us and were like big brothers to us up there... because there were some other skiers who weren't quite as nice.

Also, you would be surprised at how many of our members have commented on work productivity. :D I have the luxury of multitasking on the computer while I am waiting for other tasks here at work to finish, so it is pretty seamless for me.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I'm lucky also. I can keep up on the KHS site while I do research. I'm sure everyone is getting sick of reading my posts.

I agree with sean on simon's modesty, I used to ski with simon on occasion and he was good, not great, but better than most on the hill.
Simon remember the "chinese downhill" races copying the Hot Dog movie? It seems like when ever I would see you up there you were with Hank and Brad. Us Pinehurst kids usually went together. I would ski with Mike H., Chris C., Matt J., and the Bumgardner's. Oh, and of course Susie L. It's too bad we haven't been able to get some of these people on here.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Mike Nordin wrote:I'm sure everyone is getting sick of reading my posts.
The beauty of this site.... you never get tired of reading peoples stories/opinions/thoughts/ideas. Keep 'em comin' Mike.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Mike Biotti wrote:Yup...I was the mayor of Pinehurst for 7 years in the 80's. Heres one from way back......anybody remember the name of the little tavern at the bottom of the Page road and how it got it's name? I think it burned down around 1956 or so. I will reveal tomorrow if nobody can answer.
I remember the name -- atleast I think I do -- Was it Three Toots???
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

OOOPS!!! I guess I had best read to the bottom of all the posts before I think I have an answer!!! Atleast I did have
the right answer!!!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

How about the Old A&W!!!! I sure miss that
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

The BMX track where the base to silver mountain now sits used to be my favorite thing about kellogg. I once rode my bike from cataldo to klog just so I could ride on the track. I remember stopping by bunker hill on the way to let my dad know I needed a ride home. There and back in one day was a little much for a small bike like mine
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is a great story Rimdancer. That is dedication... LOL on telling your dad you needed a ride home.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

It is really amazing how many things have come and gone in Kellogg! I remember when my brother and i would have some serious backyard football games with Brad Cougher and the Kendricks, we used to beat the heck out of each other. it was basically just us three families living up on McKinley on the Bunker end of it. Those were some good memories.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford