06-07 Varsity Basketball

Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Oh yeah the band rocked, as always. I went to a Timberline game last week, and our band director had invited some junior high kids to play with our pep band, so the band was about twice its normal size. I don't mean to speak ill of our band, because they hold their own around here, but I found myself thinking that night that for the first time they almost sounded as good as Kellogg's band--but that it took at least twice as many kids to make them sound that great.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Simon, that was a fun trip wasn't it! We always rocked!
Speaking of how loud and clear the KHS band is, Simon and I used to have competitions during games to see who could play the loudest. I would use a plastic reed so I could actually compete with him. During districts in 90 at CDA I popped a blood vessle during Doobies and almost passed out and then had a blood shot eye. Remember that Sib?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Gwen Johnson wrote:The WILDCATS WIN!!!! ON TO STATE!
I just wanted to say how privileged I was to be at the Girl’s District Championship game last night. They played their hearts out. They dominated in the first half while holding their composure and showing true character down the stretch.

This was my first Kellogg girls game that I have seen in quite some time. I have to say, I really loved the excitement and enthusiasm in that gym last night. Coach Bogie has them playing some wonderful basketball and great defense. Win, lose, or draw down at the state tournament, I am very proud of their team and coaching staff. Obviously, I am hoping they can bring home the State Championship though…

It was also great getting to see and visit with so many wonderful Kellogg people with whom I grew up knowing and who are constant KHS Athletic supporters. Just a few of the people I had the privilege of visiting with were: Jim Miller, George & Paul, Pat Ryan, Bob Campbell, Coach Bogie himself, our very own Golf Coach, Jeff Wombolt, along with many hello’s & how are you doing to many others… Being away for awhile and not seeing very many games anymore really make me appreciate how great of a town/school Kellogg really is. Those of you who still live there and get to do events like last night all the time, you are sure lucky!!!
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:Hey Simon, that was a fun trip wasn't it! We always rocked!
Speaking of how loud and clear the KHS band is, Simon and I used to have competitions during games to see who could play the loudest. I would use a plastic reed so I could actually compete with him. During districts in 90 at CDA I popped a blood vessle during Doobies and almost passed out and then had a blood shot eye. Remember that Sib?
Of course I remember this! We had some great times indeed!
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:
I just wanted to say how privileged I was to be at the Girl’s District Championship game last night. They played their hearts out. They dominated in the first half while holding their composure and showing true character down the stretch.

This was my first Kellogg girls game that I have seen in quite some time. I have to say, I really loved the excitement and enthusiasm in that gym last night. Coach Bogie has them playing some wonderful basketball and great defense. Win, lose, or draw down at the state tournament, I am very proud of their team and coaching staff. Obviously, I am hoping they can bring home the State Championship though…

It was also great getting to see and visit with so many wonderful Kellogg people with whom I grew up knowing and who are constant KHS Athletic supporters. Just a few of the people I had the privilege of visiting with were: Jim Miller, George & Paul, Pat Ryan, Bob Campbell, Coach Bogie himself, our very own Golf Coach, Jeff Wombolt, along with many hello’s & how are you doing to many others… Being away for awhile and not seeing very many games anymore really make me appreciate how great of a town/school Kellogg really is. Those of you who still live there and get to do events like last night all the time, you are sure lucky!!!
Casey, this is simply an awesome post. It is so nice to hear someone who graduated from KHS, still notice and appreciate what is basically the essence of Kellogg. Even though things have changed over the years, mostly economics, it is still a great town.

I too noticed all of the parents, friends, and alumni who were at the game Tuesday night. I am sure there were many that I didn't see, but I saw Jared Wise, Tiffany Magnus (Wise), Cory Berti, Jeff and Sue Wombolt, and many others. What a great night for KHS as the KHS Lady Wildcats captured the first Basketball District title in KHS History (to my knowledge).

What a night for KHS!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks for the props Golf Coach... I also wanted to include that it was nice to see one of my favorite teachers, Mr. Thomas.

Some other friends of mine and fellow KHS grads who were in the house that night were Aaron Rainio, Jeremie Figueroa, Cory Lewis and my cousin Derek Williams.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

By the way, who won the Bonners Ferry vs. Priest River girls game for 2nd in the District? Who do they play tomorrow in the play-in game? Anyone know?
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Casey
I believe Bonners Ferry won that game by about 10 points. They will have to travel to Grangeville on Saturday to play the District III runner-up for the chance to go to state.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:By the way, who won the Bonners Ferry vs. Priest River girls game for 2nd in the District? Who do they play tomorrow in the play-in game? Anyone know?
Bonners plays Weiser tomorrow.

Kellogg will play the winner of Bear Lake and Sugar Salem play-in game.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Well, the KHS Boys picked up a HUGE win tonight completing an IML sweep of Priest River. The boys had a ton of poise tonight and came back from as many as 11 down in the first half. Once the Cats controlled the tempo and went inside to McDonald and Setch Ketchum, they had PR frustrated. PR loves to run and gun. Kellogg dictated the tempo in the 2nd half and ended up winning by 3. They are currently tied for 1st in the IML with one game left on the schedule vs. Timberlake at Andrew's Gym on Tuesday!

Nice job boys!

The band was also rockin big time. They have tons of spirit and were in fine form tonight.

The girls will hit the road for the State 3A Tourney boarding the bus at 3:30 on Tuesday. They will play Sugar Salem Thursday. Opposite them in the same bracket is Bonners Ferry Vs. Filer.

I will try to post updates and possibly even pictures if I can find the time, as I will be heading down (along with my wife and daughter) Wednesday.

Go Wildcats!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The Wildcats are the Intermountain League Co-Champions with Bonners Ferry. Tonight, the Wildcats came up huge with the win over Timberlake (58-46). Bonners Ferry defeated Priest River 60-55 in OT (according to the Spokesman Review). That tied Kellogg and Bonners and tied Timberlake with Priest River. Coins were tossed and the seeding for the tournament came out like this:
#1 seed, Bonners Ferry, will face #4 seed, Priest River, on Saturday at 2:30pm at Lakeland HS (this assumes that #4 seed Priest River will defeat #5 seed St. Maries in the play-in game on Friday).
#2 seed, Kellogg will face #3 seed, Timberlake, on Satuday at 1:00pm at Lakeland HS.
The JV also defeated Timberlake this evening and the C-team lost a very close game.
It was "senior night" tonight and the mood was festive and poignant in the gym. I have to say that I will never forget the image of my son taking his last shot at Andrews. He made the final basket in the game. It was sweet, to say the least.

Our girls left for State this afternoon. They traveled to Pendleton this evening and will have a practice there before continuing on to the tournament tomorrow. The band leaves for the tournament tomorrow at noon.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Gwen, good luck on your son's last run! I have four kids and have coached one of them (I think I already told you that), to see one of them try hard and succeed is just an awesome feeling. Really, good luck and I wish him the best. Make us wildcats proud!!!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Thanks Mike! I am trying not to get too excited. I know districts can be tough.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Thanks the the updates, Gwen. I'll get to return the favor (along with Coach Miller) this week during the state tournament. I'll be doing double duty this week--watching the Kellogg girls at state and my school's boys (coached by my brother) in their district tournament. The finished third in their league (out of ten teams) and 4 1/2 of those ten go to state, so they've got a good shot. But as Gwen said, I try to guard my heart, because almost anything can happen on any given night in bball.

On another note, Mike N., when you mentioned having four kids it occurred to me that I always pictures you (and the others on this board) looking the way you did the last time I saw you. In other words, in my head you're still a seventeen-year-old, not a father of four! How old is your oldest?
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Lidsey Marie (10), Maija Elaine (7), Michael Jason Jr. (4), and Logan William (1). And we will not be having anymore!!! I love my kids but when they start to out number you...

My wife's name is Leah. I met her in Astoria, Oregon. We've been married since 1994. We both just completed our B.A.'s from PLU in 05', her's in Sociology and mine in Scandinavian Area Studies (a history, political science, literature combo degree), I also minored in History and Political Science.
I feel like I'm on that Newly Weds game. :wink: