Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

This is not anything that has left Kellogg or ever been in Kellogg -- but something that I wish was up that
way!!! I would love to see Josh. Stephanie & Emma open a Caruso's in our area!!! Josh sent me a cup of
soup today (creamy potato) which was out of this world!!! Thank you so much Josh!!!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good call Vicki... Open one up in north Spokane while you are at it too...

What a nice guy Josh is sending you some soup.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

I'm glad you liked the soup today, I thought that it was one of your favorites. I didn't think to ask Mike if he was heading back to work after he was done eating. Tell him I said thanks for the delivery.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Josh, I'm not sure if Mike made a special trip back with the soup but I know I sure
was happy to have it and --- Thank you very much!!!

Now, while I'm here ---- does anyone remember when the IGA store was over where Sunnyside
Drug is now? Also do you remember when the Miner's Hat Realty was a drive in called --
The Miner's Hat?? They had car hops and you could also go inside to eat.
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

Yes Vicki, I remember the Miners Hat. Do you, or anyone else remember the name of the grocery store on Riverside across from the Sunnyside school playground? Panhandle Health now occupies that building.....I grew up in that neighborhood and remember it well, it's where I used to trade in pop bottles for $ to buy baseball cards......Mike Nordin may have to cheat again to get this one!
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

I don't remember Panhandle Health ever being a grocery store -- I will keep watching to see
what it was called. I do remember a Texaco station being next to the Rena Theatre - does anyone
remember that??
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Was it Swanson's Grocery? I only ask because on the first edition of this board, someone mentioned a Swanson's grocery being located on mission, but then I got confused and thought they were talking about a place that was called Wee Wilbur's when I was growing up. I don't remember a grocery store in the Panhandle Health building either, but I do remember Wee Wilbur's.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Beverly (McDonald) Jones

Post by Beverly (McDonald) Jones »

Was that grocery store Walden's? I seem to remember a store called that back in the 50's and 60's
Pat Cole

RE: Grocery store on Riverside

Post by Pat Cole »

Between my husband and me we came up with a name of Sav-A-Lot for the store on Riverside. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And my husband remembers the IGA being where Sunnyside Drug is now. I don't remember that but then I was raised in Smelterville with Wayside Market and Farmer's Market. I remember Walden's and I think it was where the Coast to Coat turned Ace Hardware was on Cameron. Cattails now occupies that space. How about when Coast to Coast was in a building between Penney's and Hutton's and they had meat lockers upstairs? Anyone?
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

I can barely remember that little store across from Sunnyside. But I can't hit on the name of it. I'll have to ask my parents and older brother. Oh, and didn't the IGA and Rexall Drugs share/split the building that houses Sunnyside Drugs? That's just a flicker in my mind. I just remember the Hobby aisle in Rexall buying my Hot Wheels and race cars for our slot car tracks. And how about the Sweet Shop next to the theatre box office on the south side and at one time the cable company office was on the north side. And how about the dairy? What a treat to be one of the kids to be excused from class at Sunnyside and go to the loading dock and get ice cream cups (vanilla and orange) and the little wooden spoons? And then the big social event of the season was Sunnyside's PTA Chilli Feed. Forget the chilli, the homemade chicken noodle soup was great! And having to go door to door selling tickets to it? I ramble on...
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

I worked at Walden's Grocery in 1966. It later became Wee Wilburs, then Coast to Coast and ect. Also Swanson's
was on Mission right next door to Andy Borden's house (parents - Elio & Vi)
I know this was in Pinehurst --- but does anyone remember the oval race track at this end of Pinehurst and also the
Tee Off Cafe and Bar??? My parents both raced there in the late 50's.
Beverly (McDonald) Jones

I remember the race track, we used to go to demolition derbys there. After we moved to Missouri I went to a demolition derby and couldn't believe the differnce.
Mike Biotti '68

Patcole...Sav-A-Lot on Riverside is correct!....Swanson's Grocery on Misson was Virginia's...owned by Virginia Monte. I think Mina Swanson was Virginia's sister, not sure. The Rena Sweetshop was owned and operated by Helen Biotti, my great aunt. I also loved to watch the donut machine at Pik-Kwik grocery!
Mike Biotti '68

The freight train used to leave Kellogg every morning for Spokane. The conductor would let me ride as far as the depot at Enaville where I would get off and fish Bear Cr. all day. The old guy at Brandons store in Enaville would give me a candybar or soda for a couple fish. When the train returned in the evening, I rode in the caboose back to Kellogg. We also used to ride the train to Wallace and back for something to do. Evidently, liability wasn't an issue then.
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Beverly Jones wrote:I remember the race track, we used to go to demolition derbys there. After we moved to Missouri I went to a demolition derby and couldn't believe the differnce.
I don't remember that track ever having demolitions on it but I do remember Ferd Stadium in Smelterville having
the demo races there!! What alot of fun that was --- along with Frontier Days!!
Beverly (McDonald) Jones

Now that I think about it, I believe the track I was thinking about was in Smelterville, it's been so long, we moved to Missouri in April 1968 (the last month of my Senior year) so my memory is kinda fuzzy at times.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Vicki, what does Terry do for a living?

Also, I remember the Demo Derbies in Smelterville too. I loved them. My Dad's car took first one year!!!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Mike,
Alot of people think he is the Physcians Assistant in Kellogg but he is not that Terry.
He worked at Bunker in the cell room until it closed down and has been the parts mngr
for H & H Business Systems for the past 21 years. It is in Post Falls.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

It threw me. The amazing thing is that the Terri Spoor, the Phys. assis., was married to a vicki also. For that small of a community that's mind blowing.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

It was really hilarious when they first came to Kellogg. Terry and I hadn't been married very long and had just moved
into our house on Mission. I came into the house carrying a bag of groceries and Terry asked me if I had bought a
house --- I laughed and told him no -- just milk, bread and stuff. He said that a realtor had called and said that our
house was ready to move into!! I also used to get alot of calls for Vicki as she was head of the swim team. Terry still
gets calls for the other Terry.