Gonzaga Basketball Thread

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

How far will Gonzaga go this year?

First Round NCAA Tournament
25%
2nd Round NCAA Tournament
38%
Sweet 16 of NCAA Tournament
No votes
Elite 8 or Further of NCAA Tournament
No votes
No NCAA Tourney (NIT only)
No votes
No post-season at all
38%

Total votes: 8

Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Well, I feared this would happen. The Zags lose to Santa Clara, making Santa Clara #1 now. The Zags truly are in trouble now.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

You are right plu. The Zags are now probably going to have to win the WCC Tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Do you think they can do it with out a big man?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

Mike Nordin wrote:Do you think they can do it with out a big man?
Pendagraft is big, but not big enough to stop the giants from Santa Clara. Those guys are huge. Knowing the zags they will knock memphis off this weekend and be right back in the bubble.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I don't know if they can win without Heytvelt. I just hope they can pull together a run and win the WCC Tourney...

If not, do you do a NIT bracket pick 'ems Hansen?
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

NIT? Even that's pushing it Fish. Oh, you mean next years pre-season NIT?
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Roops, that's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship... Okay, I stole this quote from a movie. Can anyone name the movie this quote is from?
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Back to the Future, Part II.
They've been on the TV a LOT lately.
;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Very good Gwen... The whole Back to the Future trilogy ranks among my favorite movies...
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

Casey Fisher wrote: The whole Back to the Future trilogy ranks among my favorite movies...
I agree Fish, The second one being my favorite of the three.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I agree Rimdancer. My favorite of the trilogy is Part 2 as well. I thought it was so cool when they were in the future, which was year 2015. I remember as a kid thinking, "Wow. That seems so far away." Well, now adays it is not that far away at all. We will be there before we know it.
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

Casey Fisher wrote:I agree Rimdancer. My favorite of the trilogy is Part 2 as well. I thought it was so cool when they were in the future, which was year 2015. I remember as a kid thinking, "Wow. That seems so far away." Well, now adays it is not that far away at all. We will be there before we know it.
I'm still waiting for the hover boards and the pizza ovens to surface.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Also, if the Cubs win the World Series in 2015, then that show is truly psychic...
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I did some analysis on Gonzaga's season vs. the RPI. I know the RPI doesn't mean everything and can be misleading, but here's how the Zags have fared against the Top 50 RPI teams and the Top 100 RPI teams this year. These are legit stats that the selection committee looks long and hard at. RPI rankings are as of 2/19:

Gonzaga is 3-6 vs. Top 50 RPI

Win vs. # 2 North Carolina
Loss vs. # 9 Memphis
Loss vs. # 10 Duke
Loss vs. # 22 Nevada
Loss vs. # 24 Wazzu
Loss vs. # 28 Butler
Loss vs. # 35 Virginia
Win vs. # 38 Stanford
Win vs. # 46 Texas

They are 5-8 vs. Top 100 RPI
(include 1-50 record)
Loss vs. # 53 Georgia
Win vs. # 73 Santa Clara
Loss vs. # 73 Santa Clara
Win vs. # 80 Washington

Man, if they could have beaten Memphis, then I think they could have got an at-large. As we all know, it strongly looks like they are going to have to win the WCC Tournament to get into the Big Dance. I'm just giving more proof by the numbers above.
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

As far as making the tournament they are in trouble but Im with Calipari (Sp?) on this one, they are a damn good team and can run with the best and they should be in the tournament. Heytvelt must feel like the biggest pile of hippo dung in Spokane.

Worse case scenario they end their season with a win and take the NIT Championship.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Well, it now looks like the Zags really have to win the WCC tournament to even get to the tournament, but strager things have happened. If they have a good showing in the tournament, they could get an at large just by reputation. They really have had an up and down season, and it is just going to eb tough for them without Heytvelt and his selfish decision he made, looks like he could end up with a felony on his record, good choice big man. Anyway, good luck to the Zags as they shoot for a tourney bid, I know they will have many fans rooting for them.
Last edited by Ken Lagerquist on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yeah. I agree with Calipari 100% as well. Unfortunately, he is not on the Selection committee. They more than likely have to win the WCC Tourney, but like you guys have said, stranger things have happened. Every year there are 2 or 3 teams that shouldn't get it that do, and should get in and don't... At least they have wrapped up at least 2nd place in the regular season. This will make it so they will only have to play 2 games in the WCC Tournament. So basically, no matter how their last two games go this weekend, if they win on March 4th and March 5th (their 2 WCC Tourney games), they are in the big tourney - NCAA Tournament.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, the 3 of you (out of the 8 who voted) who picked no post-season at all on the poll question are incorrect. By winning the WCC regular season, GU is assured at least a bid into the NIT. Hopefully they will win their two WCC Tourney games and assure themselves a spot in the big tournament. They will have to beat San Diego, Pepperdine or San Francisco in the first game, then they will have to beat Layola Marymount, Portland, Saint Mary's or Santa Clara in the chipper.
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

That was a trick question Fisher. When someone says post season for NCAA bball a person automatically assumes the Big Dance. Oh well, everyone might get another chance to see Riavio play in Spokane again. (I still think they will make the big tourney though)

On a side note, is there anybody else whose quick reply doesn't work when posting. For some reason mine isn't. Im not sure if its a browser issue or not.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

mines not workin' either Mr. Josh