Baseball Fever

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Wow that was fast! I didn't think we could get enough people in the league from here so I opened the league to everybody - it filled in 20 minutes. I set the draft to "ready" today so it should happen within 72 hours.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

So, will we know the draft order before it starts? I know it is random on where we will be in the order, but I'm just wondering if the order will be known.
Second, Roops, on the ranking of players one lists "Rank" the other says "Offense Rank" what's the difference? Which is more important?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

Guess I should have pre-ranked my players earlier - I just went on last night at midnight EST and saw the league had filled so I started pre-ranking and went to hit save and it said "no longer in pre-ready mode" (it had automatically drafted while I was in the middle of pre-ranking). Looks like I will be trying to trade for my guys.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Sorry about the rush guys - once the league was filled I didn't want people to back out and leave a dead spot so I set it to ready. My dad had enough time to rank only his favorite Atlanta Braves, lol - I did a real poor job of ranking my players - it looks like the teams are pretty even - I have a surplus of SP though.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Jason and knox, do you guys happen to know who "unsolved" and "poptarts" are in our league. Does that trade pending between them seem fishy to you two. It seems really lopsided.
Also, Poptarts has a lot of trophies and looks like a skilled player and Unsolved isn't new but hasn't really done anything.
What do you guys think?

I'm thinking about protesting for the first time.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

How do you protest?
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

I am wondering if unsolved might actually be a second team for poptarts just with a different email/log in. Not too smart of him to be that blatent right off the bat (if that is the case) - guess it is a good thing that you made trades "approved by commish" Roops.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Mike and Doug - I concur with both thoughts. There is no way i'm going to let that trade go through but I though i'd be political enough to let people vote against it. My guess is that poptarts is that persons primary team and unsolved is his "salvaged" team. To protest a trade you simply send an email to the commish (me) but i'll consider both of you as a negative vote which brings it up to 4 - since I only ask for 3 votes before I get involved I guess nows a good time to veto that trade!! Yay - such power!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I know I am not in the league, and you guys probably don't want my cheap comments; But any dude named Poptart seems like he would be a bit shady to me.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

It's too bad we don't know who some of these guys are. If he is trying to cheat, and lived near me, we could change his name to "brokenkneecaps".

Knox, I agree on the low I.Q. I can't believe he tried it so open and all at once. I hope your trade busts him wide open.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

That is a great trade Doug - IMO Harang is overrated, Zito is a stud but Kazmir would be my choice of the two, Konerko is solid but Alex Rios is going to put up huge #'s this season.

How about this - unless you trade me Carl Crawford i'm going to block the trade! lol j/k
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

Jason Spoor wrote:That is a great trade Doug - IMO Harang is overrated, Zito is a stud but Kazmir would be my choice of the two, Konerko is solid but Alex Rios is going to put up huge #'s this season.

How about this - unless you trade me Carl Crawford i'm going to block the trade! lol j/k
I've never like Harang for some reason - maybe it's because he's on the Reds. I don't think Zito is going to do as well in the NL (we shall see, though). I had to get Danny Haren on my team, I've had him on my last 3 teams - ever since the stupid Cardinals traded him for Mulder. I am hoping Kazmir and Rios can stay healthy (as well as Lee - otherwise losing Konerko is going to hurt a lot).

We'll see if we can't get Crawford onto your team somehow.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Mike and Doug - I just realized how much power I have as league commissioner - if we do indeed have a cheater in the league I can block them from making any moves or roster adjustment and make all moves myself. This is a great feature!

Oh, did you know that we have two DL spots we can use on our rosters?
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

It doesn't really bother me that there might be a cheater (or even two, right now I don't trust poptarts, unsolved, let it rip, or chicken head becuase I don't know who they are), I'm just going to watch them like a hawk. If we communicate with eachother and pay attention to their trades I don't think it will be a problem.

I just don't understand it myself. We play in a free league to have fun, what does someone gain by cheating? I still think we should try and trade and talk to these guys. In my mind it's just some guy playing two teams.

By the way, this is going to sound stupid but what's a DL? Isn't that an injury status? How do you use it?

I wish fishrock and coach were doing this with us. Baseball must not be good enough for them. 8)
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

I was going to ask about the DL spots - didn't know if you had added them in there. I checked the settings and saw that you had added the two slots - which is perfect, especially for my brittle players which will more than likely spend at least some of the year on the disabled list.

It is nice to have you as commissioner - last year I joined a league where the commissioner was the one who was on the "shady" side and passed through a few trades with his friends that were more than questionable. I can't really complain though as I ended up winning the league anyway. Having Ryan Howard last year was pretty helpful.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Mike Nordin wrote:By the way, this is going to sound stupid but what's a DL? Isn't that an injury status? How do you use it?
DL = Disabled list

Major League Baseball uses the dl and there are two different levels - 15 day and 60 day. If a player on your roster has been placed on the dl than you in turn will be able to place that player on your dl. This will allow you to pick up a player for the length of the injury.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Roops, I know I have been stingy on trades in the past but I thought this one might work for both of us. If you agree on this trade, I would be interested in trading Grady for Ichiro. I didn't know if you were interested in that one so I didn't attach it to the current offer. But I can't give up Grady if I don't gain some HR from somewhere. Grady=rank 22 Ichiro=rank 21. I think with these two it is just a matter of who works for you since they are both OF.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Here is at least a little hope for M's fans. Check out this article.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6529586

or It's Dan Perry's article on the Fox sports news on the MLB section.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Top 10: Prettiest Cinderellas; from fox sports

8) 1999 Gonzaga — No. 10 seed to Elite 8: Dan Monson's Bulldogs were the No. 10 seed in the Western region, and not expected to do much. Then they promptly beat Minnesota, Stanford, and Florida in succession. In the regional final, Monson's bunch scared the hell out of Jim Calhoun's top-ranked Connecticut. Since UConn went on to win the national championship, it's not a stretch to say that mid-major Gonzaga was that far away from the national championship.

Sound a little like this year?
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Since the MLB Season officially kicks off in a little over a week, I thought I would try to get this thread started up again. Here are my Division winner & Wildcard predictions for the 2007 Season. Roops, PLU, Knox, et. al, please chime in with your predictions, comments, etc.

AL East – NY Yankees
AL Central – Minnesota
AL West – Oakland
AL Wildcard – Boston

NL East – NY Mets
NL Central – St. Louis
NL West – L.A. Dodgers
NL Wildcard – Philadelphia
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden