Baseball Fever

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Baseball Fever

Post by Jason Spoor »

I pretty much have baseball fever all year long so I thought i'd kick off the new baseball thread.

I haven't been this excited for a start of the season in quite some time... The Dodgers have a new Ace in Jason Schmidt (representing Northern Idaho!) and one of my all-time favorite players in Juan Pierre - I hope Nomar Garciaparra and Jeff Kent can produce some power this season because they should have guys on base quite a bit with Pierre, Rafael Furcal and Russell Martin topping off the order.

Is this going to be the year Adrian Beltre lives up to that big contract? It only took him 6 years to produce 1 good season in L.A. so I hope M's fans don't have to wait that long. Is JJ Putz going to flame out?

Thoughts on the upcoming baseball season anyone?
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

The Dodgers should be pretty darn good this year... Maybe this will be a replay of 1988...

I don't think JJ will flame out this year, but I just don't think the Mariners will do much again this year. I just do not like their off-season acquisitions. I don't think Bill Bavasi really knows what he is doing. They got 2 new starting pitchers in Migues Batista and Horacio Ramirez, but I don't know if they are much better than Joel Pineiro and Gil Meche who they lost... Jose Vidro and Jose Guillen are pretty good players, but I have a hard time believing that they will take them to the top of the AL West... I know you can't sign everybody, but they should have bucked up the money and got one of the marquee free agents like Barry Zito or a difference-maker.

Beltre will hit .285 with 30 home runs and 107 RBI's this year. Which will be good, but not like his MVP year in 2004.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Casey Fisher wrote:They got 2 new starting pitchers in Miguel Batista and Horacio Ramirez, but I don't know if they are much better than Joel Pineiro and Gil Meche who they lost...
That's an excellent point - they may have been better of resigning Gil and Joel. I'm not as confident now as I was when the M's first got Vidro - I didn't realize how old he is and the fact that he's coming off a significant leg injury only makes things worse. There was a time when Jose Vidro was considered in the top 2-3 2nd basemen in the Majors so I had that in mind when I said they got a steal in only giving up Chris Snelling. Only time will tell but I really agree with all the nay sayers regarding Bill Bavasi - he's gotta go!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yep. If they have another mediocre or bad season this year, like they probably will, then he should definitely get the hook.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Back to my point about Meche... I may rather have him than the two guys Seattle picked up, but I definitely wouldn't want him for the price that Kansas City paid to get him. $42 Million dollars is a lot for an inconsistant pitcher. I just really wished that they would have picked up a "big splash". Ichiro's contract is up after this year too. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if he signed with a different team next off-season...

As for the Dodgers, I would be pumped if I were you too Roops. They have a great combination of speed and power, along with a great defense and awesome starting pitching. I don't know their bullpen all too well, but I would say that that may be the only weakness on the team...
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I would look for the M's to sign Ichiro to an extension at some point this season rather than putting it off until the end of the season. If they do lose Ichiro to free agency than that itself should mark the end of Bavasi - you don't let the face of the franchise leave unless he wants to go (A-Rod, Griffey, Johnson). I know the M's tried very hard to get Jason Schmidt but they just didn't have the tools that the Dodgers did and I wouldn't want a contract like Zito's hanging over the franchise.

The Dodgers currently have 8 starters on the 25 man roster - Schmidt, Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Randy Wolf, Brett Tomko, Chad Billingsly, Mark Hendrickson and Hong-Chih Kuo so I would imagine that atleast two of those pitchers will pitch out of the bullpen and Billingsly will probably start the season in Las Vegas. They have two legitimate closers in 37 year old Takashi Saito and 22 year old Johnathan Broxton. Takashi will start the season as the closer with Broxton being the 8th inning guy - so if the Dodgers can get 6-7 solid innings from the starters they should have a very, very tough bullpen to score on. The real weakness on the team is power - JD Drew lead the team in HR's last season with 20 and he is now in Boston. Nomar Garciaparra and Jeff Kent hit 34 combined HR's last season and they will be counted on to supply the power this season. I don't expect big power numbers from the Dodgers but I do expect a lot of runs to be scored.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good analysis on the Dodgers Roops. I guess when I said that they will have a great balance of speed and power, I should have said speed and consistent hitting.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Don't get me started on Bavasi. I think I've been the most vocal against him, but if I had to defend him....I think he is pretty hamstringed by the ownership.
On a side note, the M's are looking to sign another pitcher from San Diego, who was out all last season due to injury. If the M's can get him dirt cheap, then I think it is a good move (cheap risk), but if they pay alot (which Bavasi will) then I think it will be a bad move.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Mike Nordin wrote:On a side note, the M's are looking to sign another pitcher from San Diego, who was out all last season due to injury. If the M's can get him dirt cheap, then I think it is a good move (cheap risk), but if they pay alot (which Bavasi will) then I think it will be a bad move.
As a Dodger diehard i'm well aware of Brian Lawrence. There's always a risk when you go after a player who missed an entire year do to an injury, in this case an arm injury. Allthough he's never really put up big numbers he has been a consistant #3 guy who seemed to pitch very well within the division. I would expect the M's to sign him to a minor league deal with a chance to make the club out of spring training - no way they will pay big bucks for him so it really is win-win.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Only if he is cheap!

By the way, I think the M's have a fair chance this year. The infield is solid and will improve, the outfield I think will be more consistent, and the pitching hopefully will be an improvement. I hope they will stay aggressive on the bases and won't slump at the first time they lose two in a row.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Well the Rockies signed Brian Lawrence so forget about that story.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Easy come, easy go.

Hey, are we going to do F.Baseball? I would love to join up and my dad is thinking about trying it.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I tried doing fantasy baseball last year but only my dad and I signed up. I'll try it again this year though.
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

Jason Spoor wrote:I tried doing fantasy baseball last year but only my dad and I signed up. I'll try it again this year though.
Is it going to be a Rotisserie or Head 2 Head league?
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Doug Knox wrote:Is it going to be a Rotisserie or Head 2 Head league?
I like H2H better than Rotisserie but i'd set it up whatever way the majority wanted it.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

About when would it start?
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

A little heads up time would be nice so I could plan a draft. Not that it helped me in the basketball game.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I'll keep you posted.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Here you go M's Fans. I loved having this guy in the Dodgers rotation. He's got some nasty stuff and is an absolute innings eater. He also had a very impresive post season for the Cards.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks for putting that on there Roops. I hadn't heard about that. I think he still has something left. The key in my opinion to the article was:

"Weaver should benefit from working at pitcher-friendly Safeco Field and pitching in front of a defense that includes shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt, third baseman Adrian Beltre and center fielder Ichiro Suzuki."