Gonzaga Basketball Thread

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

How far will Gonzaga go this year?

First Round NCAA Tournament
25%
2nd Round NCAA Tournament
38%
Sweet 16 of NCAA Tournament
No votes
Elite 8 or Further of NCAA Tournament
No votes
No NCAA Tourney (NIT only)
No votes
No post-season at all
38%

Total votes: 8

Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I think they will get in but on a low 55-mid 60's bid. I think they are just above bubble team this year, however their rep might pull them up. I would love for them to get in on a seed 16 and stun upset some #1 team. I think that would make the year. :P
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Well now it is a non-issue. Go ZAGS!!! Over all it was pretty good game. Santa Clara's big guy did a pretty good job, but a number of Zags also did a good job. Ravio was on, Downs is filling in good, Pendergraft (sp) has stepped up, Mallon did his job as usual and so on. Now I can't wait to see who they will be playing in the first round.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yep. Us Zags fans will sleep a lot easier the next five nights before the brackets come out. I don't think they would have got in... I look for the to be a #11, #12, or #13 seed in the tournament. Those are great seeds to be historically to pull off big upsets... Especially if they get the #12. I think something like 12 of the last 13 tournaments, a 12 has beat a 5 in the first round. Sometimes two have done it and one year three did it... UNLV is supposed to be around a 4 or 5 seed. I would love to play them in the first round. I think it would be a GU victory...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I like this team. They have shown some great toughness and resolve after one of their main players decided to drive around with pot and psychedelic mushrooms in his backpack and put "me" in front of the "team."

Good for Gonzaga and Mark Few silencing all the critics and winning the WCC and taking the WCC Conference Tournament.

I normally like Majerus' commentating but the last few nights he has made me want to throw something at the TV. He doubted Gonzaga both nights and was proven wrong. Even as the game was going he seemed to struggle to find compliments for the Zags and coaching staff. I realize that this is his nature, but he was definitely on the "doubter" bandwagon and the Zags proved them wrong last night! That was a gritty win.

I always loved the Zags going into the tourney as an "underdog" as opposed to fighting for a top seed. Now they can play with the chip on the shoulder and make some noise. I agree with Rock. I would love to see another 12-5 upset!
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good points Golf Coach... This year they are indeed the hunter instead of the hunted. I guarantee whomever draws Gonzaga in the first round is going to be sweating bullets when they see that GU name on Sunday afternoon...

This year's team has dealt with much adversity and has came through...

"A wounded animal is the most dangerous in the forest". This is a quote that Tony Kerfoot said to our team during the '96 Season that I will never forget. The last month or so Gonzaga has definitely proved this quote.
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

Simon Miller wrote: I normally like Majerus' commentating but the last few nights he has made me want to throw something at the TV.

I like Majerus about as much as I like Bill Walton, both could never show their faces on TV again and I would be happy. Majerus is one of the most negative broadcasters their is. He did good things as a coach, I think he should be a spectator and nothing more.

I happy for the Zags as well, I have to be honest though I wasn't convinced that they were going to win until there was less than 20 seconds left in the game. Even though I don't like him Riavio did superb and finally acted like a leader. Micah Downs has stepped up quite a bit since Josh "I think I'm a Hippie" Heytvelt departed. Hopefully they can carry this momentum for 11/12 days until they play again.
"Your imagination is a preview of life's coming attractions."
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

Bill Walton is a complete idiot. I dislike him almost as much as the guy who did the UCLA v. Gonzaga NCAA game last year. I thought that guy was going to cry until UCLA got lucky at the end. Go Zags! :twisted:
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

%$#)(# right on!!! I think most of America hates the Zags. I think T.V. producers make too little money on such a small market in small Inland Empire land. Go ZAGS!!!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Billy Packer, Bill Walton, and Rick Majerus are in a league of their own!!! The 3 worst announcers in the history of basketball. I almost have to turn the volume down or mute the tv when Packer is doing a game, it makes my ears bleed. Everyone talks about how they love the underdogs, but when it comes to the Zags, there are too many haters out there!! The Zags are going to prove a lot of people wrong in this years tournament. THis may be far fetched, but i predict a Sweet 16 Appearance this year!!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I am going to wait until the bracket comes out before I make any predictions, but if they get the right match-ups, I agree in that they are more than capable of making a Sweet 16 run.