Five Things that are Still in Kellogg

The place to talk about anything you want.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Five Things that are Still in Kellogg

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, we are having a great discussion on what has come and gone in Kellogg. I thought I would start a thread on the great things that have come to Kellogg and are still present. I’ll start the list off with 5 of my favorites:

1. McDonald’s – This opened up in the Fall of 1993, my Sophomore year, and it was fascinating to have fast food in K-town. One of my great memories from high school was the week it opened I was so excited for football practice to get over on that Thursday so I could get a Mc D’s value meal to-go, and took it to the KHS JV football game to eat in the stands during the game. My friends and I thought we were so cool eating actual McDonald’s food at Teeter’s Field and not in Coeur d’ Alene.

2. Super Stop – The Circle K, Gondolier, etc. came and went. The Super Stop on Hill Street has been a fixture for many years. They lost gas for awhile, but have it back. I have stopped in there many times with friends riding bikes, going to the pool etc. as a kid and now I still usually stop in there for snacks/gas when I come into town.

3. Kellogg High School – Fifty years and running. This school has a beautiful design and looks wonderful sitting at the top of Jacobs Gulch. Many of us have fond memories of this school and all of us on this great site are bonded together by it. Andrew’s Gymnasium for us sports nuts in particular have many great memories, along with the great teachers we were fortunate to have.

4. Dave Smith Motors – Not that I am a huge fan of them taking over nearly every empty parking space etc. in town (and the Grade School that many of us went to) to put their nice vehicles, but they are the # 1 Dodge dealer in the world; and because of them people are spending a lot of money in our community.

5. Kellogg Elks Building – This is the site of many sports banquets, school banquets, All-night KHS Senior party’s, wedding receptions, meetings, etc. I have many fond memories in this place and there are a great bunch of people who work/meet there.

Honorable mention: Hum Dinger, Kellogg Bowling Alley

Okay, this should give us a start. I know I have left out many of great places.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Kudos to Casey, the master topic maker! In addition to Casey's excellent choices:

The streets of Kellogg: I loved running the streets of Kellogg. Yes, there are potholes on occasion, and sometimes no sidewalks. They aren't always the most beautiful streets, but if I had my way, I'd run them everyday.

Wah Hing: The best Chinese food I've ever had.

Humdinger: I used to call and place my order, and most of the time, they wouldn't even have to ask my name--"That'll be about five minutes, Laurie."

Christian Life Center: The church that my (maternal) grandmother, my (paternal) grandfather, my father, my brother, and my uncle have all pastored.

Kellogg cemetery: I know it might sound strange, but I think it's a beautiful location, and I have many family members who have been laid to rest there.

KHS: I have to second Casey's choice here. On my last day as an employee at KHS, I took one last look around Andrew's gymnasium--I recalled some of my favorite moments there as a player, coach, and fan--and I shed a tear or ten.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great choices as well Laurie. Thanks for the kudos.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I agree wiht laurie, the cemetary. Nothing shows where home is like where your family rests. I was up there two weeks ago and I'm glad that the city has taken over and is renivating (sp) it.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

also, no matter how much kellogg changes it is still the same. Simon mentioned this earlier and I agree. There is something there, in the dirt or the buildings, that just "is" kellogg. It's timeless.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

The Kellogg city pools is still around. Im not sure if it is still open in the summers but I know that physically it is still there. I remember the high dive being REALLY high and now I probably could jump and touch the board. I also remember kids laying in the warm water that gathered at the bottom of the chain link fence dividing the big pool from the kiddie pool. The rumor always had it that the water was warmed from urine and not the sun. I was never caught in it thru fear of being laughed at for soaking in pee.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

LOL Rimdancer... That high dive did seem so high. I remember laying on the hot concrete as a little kid just in "awe" while watching the big kids do Preacher Seats, Cannon Balls, One and a halfs, backflips, and Figure Fours off of that high dive... I remember how pumped we would get when their splash was so high that it hit the fence... I don't know what year, probably 7 or 8 years ago, but they took the high dive out of there and replaced it with another low dive that was only like one foot higher than the normal low dive. I guess the high dive was a safety issue...
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

You know no one over here knows what the preacher seat is, until after I send a mountain of a wave at them, and then they never forget 8)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

LOL plu. My big splash comes from a figure four.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:LOL Rimdancer... That high dive did seem so high. I remember laying on the hot concrete as a little kid just in "awe" while watching the big kids do Preacher Seats, Cannon Balls, One and a halfs, backflips, and Figure Fours off of that high dive... I remember how pumped we would get when their splash was so high that it hit the fence... I don't know what year, probably 7 or 8 years ago, but they took the high dive out of there and replaced it with another low dive that was only like one foot higher than the normal low dive. I guess the high dive was a safety issue...
lol Rock, this is one of the best posts I have seen in a long, long time. I am too swamped to give this thread an adequate response but I particularly enjoyed the names of the Kellogg High Dive repertoire. One you forgot was one that Matt Morgan was a master at... the "suicide". On this jump the person would lay out and soar like they were doing a huge belly flop and then at the last second they bring their arms and legs in to cover their frontside. This always got many oohs and aahs at the pool.

BTW, they lowered the high dive... some parent probably threatened to sue due to unsafe conditions or something. Man, how did we survive? lol

I remember being grossed out by all the older kids who would make out in the 3ft end of the pool, as this was probably the only way they could hook up without parent supervision.

I also remember Mark Flores holding me under water (jokingly) and almost drowning me. I was a half second from losing my breath and inhaling water... it was one of the scariest moments of my childhood. I still remember it vividly to this day.

Another memory is when the lifeguards would tell us we had to shower before getting in but we never wanted to. We would all try our best to not get noticed upon entering the pool are from the locker room. How hard would it be to spray water on our heads and rinse off to make them happy? But at the time this was a MAJOR inconvenience. lol.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great, great memories Golf Coach...

How could I forget about the "suicide" off of the high dive? I think I remember Matt doing those. "Suicides" were flat, out crazy...

LOL on not showering before going into the pool. I remember us doing the exact same thing. We would sprint out of the locker room and jump into the water as quick as possible hoping that the lifeguard did not see us. I guess it was too much work to run water over us before we went swimming...
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

Casey Fisher wrote:
LOL on not showering before going into the pool. I remember us doing the exact same thing. We would sprint out of the locker room and jump into the water as quick as possible hoping that the lifeguard did not see us. I guess it was too much work to run water over us before we went swimming...
I actually laughed out loud when I read the post about showering. I remember making plans hours before arriving at the pool to try and get past the life guards. And like G.C. said, how hard would it have been to rinse off for 3 seconds.
"Your imagination is a preview of life's coming attractions."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That's so true Rimdancer...

Another great memory from the Kellogg Pool was trying to get #1 written on your hand. The pool used to give us kids large green bags to put our clothes/shoes in which was associated with a # on it. They would write that number on our hands in large black permanent marker and hang our bags up on that number so we could get our bags easier after swimming. I remember getting to the pool a half hour before it opened, arguing/pushing/shoving/fighting with my buddies for those 30 minutes over who would get #1 on our hand and get the first bag... It was nice when little things like that were so important to us... Too bad we got to get old and have responsibilities, etc. LOL...
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Did you guys ever do the trickle in, sending one guy in at a time so the guards wouldn't see you? I loved when one guy would finally get caught we would wait until he was getting chewed out and then we all would sneak in.
The most unique dive...Scott Bumgardner and I think some of the James boys would get to the end of the low dive, spring a little, land on their butt, and on the next spring kick their feet up and dive in frontwards. I know crazy wierd.

Hey Simon, do you remember that guy a little older than us nicknamed taco or burrito who was absolutely huge? He would be up on the high dive, walk out to the end of the board, it would actually bend down about a foot, and he would taunt the life guard there on the park side. Then he would let er' rip and drown the lifeguard.

I miss the high dive. On the coast here you will never find one, nor any one who has seen one.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great story PLU. I loved it when the big kids would taunt the lifeguards...

I think the Mullan Pavillion is the only place I know of that still has a high dive. However, I haven't been there in 11 years so it may be long gone, who knows.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:Did you guys ever do the trickle in, sending one guy in at a time so the guards wouldn't see you? I loved when one guy would finally get caught we would wait until he was getting chewed out and then we all would sneak in.
The most unique dive...Scott Bumgardner and I think some of the James boys would get to the end of the low dive, spring a little, land on their butt, and on the next spring kick their feet up and dive in frontwards. I know crazy wierd.
Yeah we used that strategy too. That is sweet that all us kids used the same logic and trickery! Ahh yes... we forgot the "butt" dive using the bounce technique off the butt into a dive position. That one always drove the lifeguards NUTS.

Mike Nordin wrote: Hey Simon, do you remember that guy a little older than us nicknamed taco or burrito who was absolutely huge? He would be up on the high dive, walk out to the end of the board, it would actually bend down about a foot, and he would taunt the life guard there on the park side. Then he would let er' rip and drown the lifeguard.
I believe that could be Dean Madrid. I think his nickname was "Beef & Dean" which was a moniker after a Beef and Bean Burrito. He was indeed a big guy, but was nice to us all the time.
Mike Nordin wrote: I miss the high dive. On the coast here you will never find one, nor any one who has seen one.
I will try to find out.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Boy, the Kellogg swimming pool talk is bringing back some memories. I remember everything all you guys are talking about, what a fun time in our lives at that pool. I remember my brother Brian would head off to the pool and we would never wear shoes, because we didnt want to get bags, we just wanted to get into the pool and swim. Well, he would run across the Bunker Parking lot bare foot above the little league field, the parking lot was gravel. I think he had feet of steel, because running across that gravel never hurt him!!! Here i would have to tip toe across that because it killed my feet! That kid used to go to the pool alone when he was too young to be there without a parent, but they would let him swim anyway, because he was like a fish in the water. I think at one time or another, all of us owned that pool together!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ouch!!! Ken your brother must have been tough to not wear shoes. I am like you and it is like I'm walking on glass when I walk outside barefoot... I remember many times at the Kellogg Pool splitting my big toe open or cutting my feet up at the pool. That hard concrete is brutal to us "soft-footed" people.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Yea, like i said in previous posts, he and Matt Morgan were immune to pain i think! I couldnt believe the things they would do and get hurt but keep coming or going back for more!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

I must cast my vote for Hum Dinger. It makes me so happy to see it when I drive into town!

I have to say The Rena theater too, even though its changed so much! I think every time I visit home we end up going to the movies at least one time! When I was a little girl, my aunts worked there and I would come "help". Must have been early 80's, I think they were still in highschool. It was also the first business my parents contracted with when they started their janitorial business, also in the mid 80's. Not the easiest place to clean... but I got to see all the free movies I could ever want to, lots of posters, my own personal bowl for popcorn, and got to keep any change I found. And my favorite thing: being able to run up and down those long isles at top speed and with total freedom!