March Madness Thread

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

Who will win this year's Men's NCAA Basketball Championship

Florida
11%
UCLA
11%
Ohio State
No votes
North Carolina
22%
One of the Other 61 Teams in Tourney
56%

Total votes: 9

Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

March Madness Thread

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, since March is “officially” here today, I figured I would start the March Madness thread. This is the greatest month of the year for us hoops fans and it is upon us. It actually started a day early as last night Roops’ boys, the Texas Longhorns, beat #6 ranked Texas A&M in 2OT. It was probably the best game I have seen this year. It was a classic!!! I’m sure Roops was dancing around his house after the game… I’m putting a general poll question on here just for fun, but feel free to talk about any/all teams on this thread… Two weeks from today we kick off the tournament for real. I can’t wait…
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Josh Hansen
--Rimdancin--

Post by Josh Hansen »

Fisherrock you beat me to this thread, I was going to make one today as well but this works just fine. This is the by far the best month of the year and am looking forward to everyday. This should be an interesting year, If Duke doesn't do well in the ACC tourney they might not make it (just from tradition and stregnth of schedule they have a good shot not matter what) AZ has a chance of notmaking it and of course the Zags. It might be one heck of a NIT this year.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Glad I beat you to the punch by an hour or two Rimdancer... LOL. From Sunday to Sunday it is by far the best sporting week there is. It starts with the Selection Show (Sunday, March 11). This is my favorite one-hour show of the year. We see who is in, who and where our favorite teams are playing. Then we have 3 and a half days to make predictions/complain about the seeds that certain teams get/predict future match-ups, (fill out Rimdancer and Brian Carlson's March Madness Pool) etc. These three days are full of some great debate/hoops talking. Then the first and second rounds on that Thursday through Sunday are what dreams are made of. I am thankful that a few of us have a great tradition together and always take that Thursday and Friday off of work to watch the tournament. Roops, Rimdancer, Brian Carlson, and I with a few others here and there have watched a majority of those first few days of the tourney together for the past 5 or 6 years and we will do so again this year. I cannot wait...

The four teams I listed in the poll question are the four teams in my opinion who have what it takes to win the 6 tournament games to become National Champions. There are a lot of other great teams out there, but I just think they all in their own way are missing that one piece of the puzzle to cut the nets down on April 2nd... I have been very wrong many times before though. Last year Florida was sitting at a #3 seed and I would have said there is no chance they can win the National Title, and they did it... Therefore, you guys are probably right who are picking "One of the Other 61 Teams". LOL.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I am going to have to agree with you guys just like everyone else will who replies to this post. This is the greatest time of year, the most excitement you will ever see in a 3 week period. This will be my first year in quite some time that i will be able to take some time off and watch the games the first two weeks, i cant wait for the tourney to start. I really think the tournament is up for grabs this year once again. The I feel it could be either Carolina or UCLA winning it this year, but you cant count out the Defending Champs even tho they and the Heels are struggling right now, i think it is best to get those losses out of the way before the tournament for some teams, especially the young teams like carolina. I I think im going to have to order up some Hot Wings and just sit back and enjoy the games.
I remember in when i was in High school and for a few years after, we would get tickets to the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tournament and head to eithe SLC or Boise and just have a grand ol time. We saw some great players and great teams at those sites. 1990 was one of my best memories, getting to see my long time favorite team, the Runnin' Rebels in person was a treat for me, that team could put up some points. 1992 we went to Boise and saw LSU(w/ Shaq), Georgetown(w/Alonzo), Indiana, FSU(w/Charlie Ward and Sam Cassel), and a couple other decent teams. I also remember a year when we saw #15 Seed Santa Clara knock off #2 Seed Arizona, man those were some great times. I see that Spokane will be holding a 1st and 2nd round in a couple years, along with Portland a year before or after i cant remember, i will definitely need to try and get tickets. Anyway, thanks for starting this post Casey, will be interesting to see some insight on these games.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Great memories Ken. I remember those years and teams very well. That is so cool that you were at the games live. I remember Steve Nash's Santa Clara #15 seed squad taking out #2 Arizona. That is one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament History (actually it is tied for the biggest as no #16 has ever beat a #1... Actually the 1st and 2nd Rounds are in Spokane this year and in 2010. I am not going this year, but I am very anxious to see which teams come to Spokane this year. I went in 2003 when it was here and got to see Connecticut when Omeka Okafor was swatting everything in sight, and got to see Wisconsin and Stanford. It was a great time... I agree that this tournament is pretty open as their is not one superior team over the others in the country.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Sunday...Judgement Day for the Zags...GO ZAGS!!!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Of course I'm for the Zags first and formost, however I will, as I always do, pick a couple other teams to support.
1. Gonzaga
2. WSU-I love that they beat UW. Over here all you hear about is the Huskies.
3. Wisconson-great team with a great academic program
4. Notre Dame-just because they are the ol'Irish
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

OMG! It's almost here!!!!! I love this time of year people! I love everything about it - the conference tournaments, selection Sunday, 16 games on Thursday followed by 16 more on Friday - the tradition I have with my best friends - the NCAA Pick 'em challenge I put on. I can't wait for the first big dawg to be upset (unless it's the 'Horns of course).

If anyone is interested in getting in on a bracket challenge just drop me a PM.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I think Duke is a lock for the tourney, but where does anyone think they will be seeded this year. They went 8-8 in their conference (albeit, it is the top 2 or 3 conference in America), and lost in the first round of their Conference Tournament. Are they an 8 or 9 seed. I would love that. Then they would get a 1 seed in the 2nd round. How would you like to see Duke vs. Florida in the 2nd Round? I think that would be fantastic...
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I think you hit it with the 8-9 seed. Dukes reputation will get them into the tournament no doubt, the same way I think the 'Zags would have been in even if they lost to SC. I feel very strongly that the Zags will have a better seed than Duke. Like Duke with an 8 and the Zags with a 5 or 6.

Does UCLA's loss to Cal mean they lost the #1 seed out west? It probably doesn't matter since they'll get a #2 at worse.

Is Florida strong enough to repeat or will they prove that last year was a fluke?
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I just don't think the Zags have enough quality wins to get them a 5 or 6 seed... Also, the Chairman of the Tournament Selection Committee is the Virginia Athletic Director and he was on-hand when Virginia spanked the Zags and made them look like Schoolboys, and Virginia is not even a Top 25 team... I still think the Zags will be an 11, 12, or 13 seed.

I still think UCLA will get a 1 seed, however, they will probably be the last 1 seed or the first 2 seed..

I think Florida is strong enough to repeat, but I really hope somebody knocks them off... They are definitely beatable. I think they will get beat. For a team to repeat as National Champs, EVERYTHING must go right. I just don't think it can happen two years in a row.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Repeating in the NCAA? When was the last time that even happened. You don't just have to be good, you have to be perfect. One loss and you're out. I don't think Florida can do it. Everyone they play will be gunning for them.

There's a lot of buzz about UCLA and what their losses mean. They can't seem to win the gimmies right now. I know that is harsh on those teams they lost to, but lets face it UCLA is good. I can see them losing in the second round.

On the other hand, I agree with some of you guys about the Zags. I don't know but I think they could sneak their way up the ladder this year. And I think Duke will still do pretty well.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Mike, the last repeat National Champ was Duke in 1991 and 1992. Like we have said, it takes everything to go right for this to happen. Well, it took in my mind the most spectacular and famous shot in NCAA Tournament History by Christian Laetner at the Buzzer to beat Kentucky just to get into the Final 4 for the Dukees in '92.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I still don't think Florida will do it.
Speaking of which, I'm in on the pool. Does it cost money? Are the pick random?
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Coach Miller!

What luck - our boys will be playing in Spokane!!!!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Roops... THAT RULES. Now you need to get us tickets!!
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Well its finally time to fill out your bracket for Rimdancin's NCAA March Madness Pool. A couple quick points! First the cost of each bracket is $5 and you can fill-out up to two brackets. If we do not have your money by Thursday, unfortunately we will be forced to drop you from the pool! You can pay by mailing your money to the below address, or give it to Josh Hansen, Don Bartell, Dustin Shafer, Chad Booth, Simon Miller, or Brian Carlson. Please feel to check all rules for the pool on the website. Please feel free to tell all your friends because everyone is welcome. If you have any questions please email me.

http://rimdancin.hoops.sportsfan.com

NCAA March Madness
4227 Lennox Loop
Coeur, d Alene, ID 83815

Enter Referral person as: SIMON MILLER
:wink:
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Simon Miller wrote:Roops... THAT RULES. Now you need to get us tickets!!
Here's the skinny Coach - I work with a guy that went to High School with Coach Barnes and he's putting in a call to him this morning to see about getting me some tickets!!!!! It's such short notice that I don't expect it to happen but dang it i'm trying!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Guys, they are playing in Sacramento.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Looks like my Runnin' Rebels are back in the tourney!!!! Im hoping they make a good showing, they are a Senior laden team, so it might be a rebuilding year next year unless they get some JUCOs. Cant wait to start watching the tourney, i will be off of work Thursday and friday eating hot wings watching as much basketball as possible!!!

Gonzaga is in good position to make some noise, thats a tough second round draw tho against UCLA! Maybe they can get some revenge against them from last year. The sports media is hyping Florida once again, but i dont think they will do it. Ohio State looked pretty good yesterday, they blew out a much tougher team than Florida played. Lets see what happens!!!

I will be getting my money out tonight, i forgot to put it in the mail box, so it should be there Thursday.