Five Things That Left Kellogg?

The place to talk about anything you want.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I figured you and Terry had a lot of confusion with the other Tery Spohr over the years--but I didn't realize his wife was Vicki. Good grief! The last year or so I lived in Kellogg there was another Laurie Roberts in town. Just in one short year I had two or three cases of mistaken identity. I went to pay for four new tires at Silver Valley Tire, and they said I owed them $19.99! Too bad I couldn't leave the bigger bill for the other Laurie.
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

I don't remember Panhandle Health ever being a grocery store -- I will keep watching to see
what it was called. I do remember a Texaco station being next to the Rena Theatre - does anyone
remember that??

I used to work at the Texco station. 1960 or 61. It was owned by Jerry Mutch.

Does anyone remember the store on the corner of Mullan and Hill streets?

Waldens on Cameron was called Molly's Cupboard years ago.
Jim Bird

Post by Jim Bird »

Mike Biotti '68 wrote:The freight train used to leave Kellogg every morning for Spokane. The conductor would let me ride as far as the depot at Enaville where I would get off and fish Bear Cr. all day. The old guy at Brandons store in Enaville would give me a candybar or soda for a couple fish. When the train returned in the evening, I rode in the caboose back to Kellogg. We also used to ride the train to Wallace and back for something to do. Evidently, liability wasn't an issue then.
We used to live on McKinley Ave in one of the houses at the Smelter entrance and one day my buddy and I were screwing around on the tracks when one of the locomotives rolled past. We stuck out our thumbs ala hitchhikers and he rolled to a stop and invited us up into the cab. We rode into Kellogg and then one of the guys getting off his shift gave us a ride back to the house in his car. This was probably in 1974 or so. The engines idling when they were parked across from the city park overnight could be heard all over that side of town in the quiet of 4 or 5 am. (What the heck was I doing up at that hour anyway.)

And speaking of things that left Kellogg. How unique was our town to have the city pool heated by waste heat from the mill? That insulated pipe that ran the distance was such a curiosity to me growing up.
Jim Bird
Tucson, AZ
KHS Class of 1977
Vicki Spoor

Post by Vicki Spoor »

Just thought I'd bring up another thing that left Kellogg ---- Does anyone remember the airport being
over where the newer houses in Kellogg are? I remember going there with my parents when I was
probably around 5 years old.
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

I remember the airport being there...also the garbage dump was located about where the Gondola base now sits.
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
John Sutton

Post by John Sutton »

A few things that come to mind for me:

Dick and Floyds, I used to go up there for lunch and play pool.
How about the pic and shovel, I miss the Sunday breakfasts they had..
The Rena when it was a not only the theater, but it had movie rentals too!
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

I loved Pappys pizza, BEFORE it was Pik N Shovel. The old skating rink in smelterville use to have the same great pizza.
B.O.S.S.I.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I would like to hear some of the stories about "The Boat" vs "The Barrel" stories. You know, some good Kellogg vs. Wallace stories that include Old School stories.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gentry Woolman

Post by Gentry Woolman »

Some of the things I remember of Kellogg's past are:

1- The stop light uptown on the corner of McKinley Ave and Main street.
2- Shopping at Patano's.
3 - Getting dog food at the Purina building located on the west side of Mine Fab.
4 - Crazy days in Kellogg when you could get all of your school clothes.
5 - The Kellogg Evening News.

Other things missed and before metioned were the Pik Kwik lunch counter, Pappy's Pizza, A & W, the Fun Center and the Boat.
Class of '89
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

We had a stop light uptown? Remember Pizazz? That store that sold "Hash" and "SanFrancisco" jeans? LOL... you were so cool if you had Bucklebacks..

I remember Crazy Days. At JcPenneys! LOL.... we ALL were there!
B.O.S.S.I.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I remember crazy days!! I take it they dont have that anymore huh????
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Gayle Valante

Test your memory.....

Post by Gayle Valante »

What was the name of the dry cleaners in Kellogg?

Gayle
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

One of the dry cleaners was Panhandle Cleaners. I'm sure there were others, but I remember that one.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Gayle Valante

Post by Gayle Valante »

Al's Cleaners was sold to Panhandle Cleaners in the late 70's early 80's. My grandparents (Shelt) owned and operated the business for many years. Many fond memories of going on deliveries with my grandma.
Dean Stanfield

Post by Dean Stanfield »

Gayle Valante wrote:Al's Cleaners was sold to Panhandle Cleaners in the late 70's early 80's. My grandparents (Shelt) owned and operated the business for many years. Many fond memories of going on deliveries with my grandma.
Al was my Babe Ruth baseball manager back in '57 and '58......Pik Kwik team
John Allen

Post by John Allen »

There's another one: Pik Kwik. My grandma would take me there and we'd have lunch in the restaurant. Always fond memories.

What was that shoe store uptown? I remember mom taking me there to buy Buster Browns!

Growing up in Smelterville, the Wayside Market was always the place to go... ok, so maybe it was the ONLY place to go... for toys, candy and comic books. I'd scrounge up all the money I could find to buy a MAD magazine or CARtoons (drawn by Trosley also). If I didn't have any money I'd just read them for hours. When I was about 7 or 8, I remember a magazine they had there called "Playboy" caught my attention. It was always behind other magazines and I never really noticed it before. But that day I picked it up. There was a woman on the cover, but I thought, 'Heck, I'm a boy and I like to play.' Must be for me, right? Not knowing any better I opened it up and it flipped open to the centerfold.

*blink*

So I'm standing there in complete shock. It could only have been for a second, but for the first time in my life I recall being cognizant of what was looking at. About then I hear a woman's voice behind me say, "Johny Allen, you put that away or I'm going to tell your mother!"
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Funny stuff John!! I remember Pik Kwik myslef, my folks or my grandparents would take us there for lunch or dinner and i remember my favorite meal was their Hot Roast BEef Sandwiches. Man those were good. How about the old Safeway, i cant remember if that has been mentioned, My grandparents lived up on E. Market and my grandfather would walk my brother, my cousins and i down there and buy us candy all the time. I also remember when Dave Smith used to be sell JUST Chevy vehicles, now they own Chrysler or something dont they?? hahahaha
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Ah...Pik Kwik. :)
I grew up in the Pik Kwik area. It was THE place to go. As I grew older and got into High School, Tostado Tuesday became the weekly lunch counter visit. I really miss those tostados...and the bakery. They made the best cakes!
My favorite times there were during their yearly anniversary celebrations. They always had corndogs for a dime and free samples of pop and anniversary cake. I visited frequently during those celebrations.
:)
Also, we attend church at ALC next to the Pik Kwik and the lunch counter was certainly the ALC hangout after church.
Good memories.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
John Allen

Post by John Allen »

My favorite was the BLT.

And speaking of airports and Smelterville, remember the drive in theatre by the airport (now where the truck stop is)? Close Encounters and Superman... that was really cool.

When I was 1 or 2 my mom would taking me swimming at the old YMCA and I remember Head Start when it was up at the Lincoln Building.

I went to Silver King Elementary until the 6th grade when it was closed (transferred to Pinehurst). In 5th or 6th grade Pam Merida got mad at some kids that were teasing her. She threw a rock, hitting me right between the eyes. Blood was everywhere and I still have the scar. Mrs. Carter, Ms. Eggy, Mrs. Kilbourne, Mrs. Farmin were my teachers. Mr. Tank was the principal. Anyone else get paddled?!? I sure did!
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."
Dawn VanVleet

Post by Dawn VanVleet »

Mr Tank! remember the rug he wore? Mrs Tank was my 3rd grade teacher at Sunnyside.

Pik Kwik holds some of my fondest memories..my grama was a cook there forever, so it was a typical place we would be hanging out at.

anyone remember the 'Little Blue Store' down on Mission ave? we use to go down and get penny candy!
B.O.S.S.I.