On this day...

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 3rd, 1949 - The National Basketball Association (NBA) was formed. The league was formed by the merger between the Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Jason Spoor wrote:August 3rd, 1949 - The National Basketball Association (NBA) was formed. The league was formed by the merger between the Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League.
Also, on August 3rd, 1999 our friend Simon "Golf Coach" Miller officially changed the abbreviations of the NBA the "National Ballas Association".
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 3rd, 1983 - New York Yankee outfielder Dave Winfield threw a baseball during warm-ups and accidentally killed a seagull. After the game, Toronto police arrested him for "causing unnecessary suffering to an animal."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 5th, 1999 - Mark McGwire (St. Louis Cardinals) hit his 500th career homerun. He also set a record for the fewest at-bats to hit the 500 homerun mark.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Jason Spoor wrote:August 3rd, 1949 - The National Basketball Association (NBA) was formed. The league was formed by the merger between the Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League.
Also, on August 3rd, 1999 our friend Simon "Golf Coach" Miller officially changed the abbreviations of the NBA the "National Ballas Association".
lol. This is just flat out hilarious Rock
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 6th, 1981 - Lee Trevino was disqualified from the PGA Championship in Duluth, GA when he had his scorecard signed by Tom Weiskopf instead of himself.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 7th, 1999 - Tony Gwynn (San Diego Padres) got his 3,000th hit.

he is one of the greatest baseball players of all time. Even though he wasn't considered a power hitter he still found a way to come through when his team need that crucial game winner.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

1992 - The "Dream Team" clinched the gold medal at the Barcelona Summer Olympics. The U.S. basketball team beat Croatia 117-85.

Christian Laettner was unstoppable!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Jason Spoor wrote:1992 - The "Dream Team" clinched the gold medal at the Barcelona Summer Olympics. The U.S. basketball team beat Croatia 117-85.

Now this was the greatest team ever assembled in sports history. (Other than Laettner). The U.S Olympic Team nowadays is a joke.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Only because those involved have chosen to be and the competition has chosen not to be.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 9th, 1936 - Jesse Owens won his fourth gold medal at the Berlin Olympics. He was the first American to win four medals in one Olympics.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Jason Spoor wrote:
1992 - The "Dream Team" clinched the gold medal at the Barcelona Summer Olympics. The U.S. basketball team beat Croatia 117-85.

They should have put Shaq in there instead of Laettner. No other team will be as great as the first, sports has changed too much and people are too greedy now...
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Since Roops didn't give us an "on this day" sports stat today, I have one for you all:

August 10, 1986 - Numerous older kids do Gainers, Figure-Fours, One and a Halfs, Cannon-Balls, Swan Dives, Preacher Seats and "Suicides" at the no longer existent Kellogg Pool High Dive. My buddies and I as little hoodlums watch on from the side in amazement and are completely mesmerized giving out many Ooooh's, Aaaaahhh's, and Wooooowwww's.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:Since Roops didn't give us an "on this day" sports stat today, I have one for you all:

August 10, 1986 - Numerous older kids do Gainers, Figure-Fours, One and a Halfs, Cannon-Balls, Swan Dives, Preacher Seats and "Suicides" at the no longer existent Kellogg Pool High Dive. My buddies and I as little hoodlums watch on from the side in amazement and are completely mesmerized giving out many Ooooh's, Aaaaahhh's, and Wooooowwww's.

Casey,

U missed out, Simon and i were doing these out at the Lake Saturday! Brought back some memories. He even took pics so he should be putting them up soon!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is awesome Ken!!! Glad to hear your vacation is going very well. I can't wait to see these lake pictures Golf Coach...
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 14th, 1986 - Pete Rose (Cincinnati Reds) had his 4,256th and last basehit in a game against the San Francisco Giants.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey, we should get together sometime before i leave. We are out at the base until after i get back from Korea. Let me know when u might have some free time. We will be out at Harrison this weekend for a Lagerquist reunion. Brian will be out here for that and will be around the whole week after. He is wanting to head up to Bonners to see Matt.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 15th, 1997 - Dan Wilson hit the 3,000th homerun in Seattle Mariners history.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 16th, 1948 - Babe Ruth died at the age of 53.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

What a sad day in American Culture today is. Both the "Babe" and the "King" died on this day in various years.