College Basketball 2007-08

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

How far will Gonzaga make it this season?

1st Round of NCAA Tournament
17%
2nd Round of NCAA Tournament
33%
Sweet 16
17%
Elite 8
33%
Final 4
No votes
NCAA Championship Game
No votes
National Champions
No votes

Total votes: 6

Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Pick a day and I'll bet my dad and I could make it, if that's ok. If enough of us go maybe we could get a package deal.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I will look at the schedule and see what days will be best. Anyone else up for Mariners game in May?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, the Zags lost another one last night, this time to Oklahoma... However, I am not too disappointed as it was awesome to see Heytvelt back on the floor. He is far from game shape, but that will come slowly. Also, Steven Gray was only playing in his 2nd game. Boulding is injured... Needless to say, I am very optimistic that this Zags team will be playing their best ball at the end of the season (March) as they will hopefully be back to full strength and used to playing with each other. This will hopefully be a good change to be playing well at the end of the season as a majority of the last few years they played their best ball in November and December. It is just unfortunate that they really only have 2 "Big" games left in Tennessee and Memphis. They need to win one of those just to put on their NCAA Tourney resume. I think their best hope is to beat Tennessee in the "Battle in Seattle" one week from tomorrow.

P.S. Roops, your Texas Longhorns better "hook 'em" against Oklahoma this year. I don't like the Sooners but they impressed me with their athleticism and that Freshman Blake Griffin is a flat-out beast.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Fish, you're right on! I've been watching the Zags closely and have been waiting for the return. Only time will tell in March when hopefully the Zags will March on...(pun intended). They're deep, and better than they have been in a while, so hopefully we will see magic this season.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

If anyone wants to watch a battle of great college basketball big men tonight, turn it to FSN at 7:30 p.m. UCLA is at Stanford and freshman phenom Kevin Love will be battling on the block with the monster Lopez twins - Brook & Robin. It should be a great game!!! I know I am looking forward to it. I hope the "twins" show Love who is boss...
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

The Zags won't beat anyone worth a darn the rest of the season if Heytvelt and Downs continue to be "Missing in Action (MIA)" like they were last night and have been most of the season.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:The Zags won't beat anyone worth a darn the rest of the season if Heytvelt and Downs continue to be "Missing in Action (MIA)" like they were last night and have been most of the season.
Yea, i agree Casey. PArgo dominated that game because no one else was worth a darn last night. It was very sad to see, they had so many chances and made so many silly mistakes. Heytvelt needs to pull his head out of his a$$, it is sad when a 6'6 guy guards those big guys better than he does and does more down low than he does. And i am talking about Pendergraft. I am beginning to think that Heytvelt has a confidence issue that he needs to correct immediately
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Heytvelt needs to pull his head out of his a$$, it is sad when a 6'6 guy guards those big guys better than he does and does more down low than he does. And i am talking about Pendergraft. I am beginning to think that Heytvelt has a confidence issue that he needs to correct immediately
Nicely put Ken... His ankle must still be bothering him, but beyond that, he just looks lost out there. He wasn't boxing out. He was letting guys push him around... He is nowhere near the guy who dominated Tyler Hansbrough at the beginning of last season like he did in the pre-season NIT last year at Madison Square Garden.

As for Downs, he is the only McDonald's All-American in the history of Gonzaga basketball. Yet, I would say he is only the 7th best player on the Zags... Last night was a perfect example of his season thus far: He played between 15 to 20 minutes and had no points, and only had 2 rebounds... He has been a complete "non-factor" for most of the season. It is really disappointing, especially when people were saying that he would be better than Morrison...
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Ken Lagerquist wrote:Heytvelt needs to pull his head out of his a$$, it is sad when a 6'6 guy guards those big guys better than he does and does more down low than he does. And i am talking about Pendergraft. I am beginning to think that Heytvelt has a confidence issue that he needs to correct immediately
Nicely put Ken... His ankle must still be bothering him, but beyond that, he just looks lost out there. He wasn't boxing out. He was letting guys push him around... He is nowhere near the guy who dominated Tyler Hansbrough at the beginning of last season like he did in the pre-season NIT last year at Madison Square Garden.

As for Downs, he is the only McDonald's All-American in the history of Gonzaga basketball. Yet, I would say he is only the 7th best player on the Zags... Last night was a perfect example of his season thus far: He played between 15 to 20 minutes and had no points, and only had 2 rebounds... He has been a complete "non-factor" for most of the season. It is really disappointing, especially when people were saying that he would be better than Morrison...
The Zags did not play well (as a whole) last night, but they got HOSED at least 3 times in the last few minutes and the in the OT by STUPID calls. But I agree, with you guys, Heytvelt is just clueless and a non factor. I was actually impressed with Pargo last night because he not only loaded them up on his shoulders, but he also dished it at the right times too, where he doesn't always do that. I was thinking the same thing last night, Heytvelt and Downs need to cowboy up big time and what the heck is going on with Boulden? He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night.

On top of it all, the Defensive tone is not as "feisty" as it needs to be either. Some of them just seem to be going through the motions. Hopefully last night's loss puts the fire back in their bellies. Letting that kid go 6 for 6 from the 3pt line is ridiculous.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:
Casey Fisher wrote:

The Zags did not play well (as a whole) last night, but they got HOSED at least 3 times in the last few minutes and the in the OT by STUPID calls. But I agree, with you guys, Heytvelt is just clueless and a non factor. I was actually impressed with Pargo last night because he not only loaded them up on his shoulders, but he also dished it at the right times too, where he doesn't always do that. I was thinking the same thing last night, Heytvelt and Downs need to cowboy up big time and what the heck is going on with Boulden? He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night.

On top of it all, the Defensive tone is not as "feisty" as it needs to be either. Some of them just seem to be going through the motions. Hopefully last night's loss puts the fire back in their bellies. Letting that kid go 6 for 6 from the 3pt line is ridiculous.
I agree the Zags had soem bogus calls against them, Brian and i thought there were some Homer calls going on most definitely. Especially when Daye fouled out, that was bogus for sure. They will get revenge at home, i know that, but they cant go into these other arenas agaisnt these teams thinking just because they are Gonzaga that they will fall over and die against them. I keep praising to Brian that Bouldin is a good ball player then he stinks it up like he did last night. The kid has a lot of talent, just needs to get it together too. they will be a 15 seed come tournment time, i am calling it now. they wont get any higher. Which might be good for them.
Last edited by Ken Lagerquist on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

Gonzaga only looked good for about 10 minutes in the first half. the rest of the time they seemed lost. How they let that little guy Golden get that open 6 freaken times I don't know! He never shot a 3 with a hand in his face, and usually no one within 10 feet. The worst call of the night was when Golden ran to the sideline to retrieve the ball, and jumped up in the air sideways into gray, and they called the foul on Gray. Most high school games have better refs. I think there was a 15 minute span where every ball out of bounds went to St. Marys. pathetic. 29 fouls to 17. 4 guys fouled out to 0. I was actually amazed it was still a game between the referees and gonzaga's horrible play. What ever happened to their motion offense? now they seem to have to score 1 on 1 for every point. I keep waiting for it to click in so they start winning against good teams, but it hasn't happened yet. No one can blow them out, but they can't seem to win either.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Everybody has some great points... To sum it up, they are just not playing real well and they are not clicking... I see them having two more losses in the regular season. I think they will lose at San Diego on Feb. 18, but will win the other 6 conference games (including St. Mary's at home). Then, I honestly think they will lose in the WCC Tournament this year, which is down at San Diego. I think St. Mary's or San Diego will win the conference tournament... This will leave the Zags at 23-8 or 24-8... They will still get an at-large bid into the tourney. Ken, I don't agree with your 15 seed with them having an RPI in the 30's, but I think they will be a 8 through a 10 seed... Then, I think they will be one and done in the NCAA Tournament again this year... This is unless there is a dramatic increase in their level of play come March...
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:Everybody has some great points... To sum it up, they are just not playing real well and they are not clicking... I see them having two more losses in the regular season. I think they will lose at San Diego on Feb. 18, but will win the other 6 conference games (including St. Mary's at home). Then, I honestly think they will lose in the WCC Tournament this year, which is down at San Diego. I think St. Mary's or San Diego will win the conference tournament... This will leave the Zags at 23-8 or 24-8... They will still get an at-large bid into the tourney. Ken, I don't agree with your 15 seed with them having an RPI in the 30's, but I think they will be a 8 through a 10 seed... Then, I think they will be one and done in the NCAA Tournament again this year... This is unless there is a dramatic increase in their level of play come March...
Casey, i agree with their high RPI, but they really havent beat anyone with any significance except for UConn. unless they win the conference tournament, or at least win the conference, then an 8-10 seed might be a little too high. 15 might be a little low, but the way they are playing, i dont see them getting much higher than 12
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Slipping to a 12 is definitely not out of the question. Although that is the seed that always produces the first round upset right. :D
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

For some reason more talent hasn't always meant more wins for the zags. I'm not sure why that is. You would think the competition in practice would be so intense these days that the games would be easy. Isn't working out that way though. I see a 10-12 seed too.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good points Brian... It just shows you that recruiting can sometimes be over-rated...

The Santangelo's, Frahm's, Blake Stepp's, Dan Dickau's, and Adam Morrison's of the world were not real highly recruited, but they repeatedly took it to the UCLA's, Florida's, North Carolina's, Michigan State's, etc. in college basketball and their blue-chip, McDonald's All-Americans. This current group of Zags is a group of highly recruited players, yet they are struggling to win the WCC and can't beat a ranked team anymore.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Brian Stovern wrote:Gonzaga only looked good for about 10 minutes in the first half. the rest of the time they seemed lost. How they let that little guy Golden get that open 6 freaken times I don't know! He never shot a 3 with a hand in his face, and usually no one within 10 feet. The worst call of the night was when Golden ran to the sideline to retrieve the ball, and jumped up in the air sideways into gray, and they called the foul on Gray. Most high school games have better refs. I think there was a 15 minute span where every ball out of bounds went to St. Marys. pathetic. 29 fouls to 17. 4 guys fouled out to 0. I was actually amazed it was still a game between the referees and gonzaga's horrible play. What ever happened to their motion offense? now they seem to have to score 1 on 1 for every point. I keep waiting for it to click in so they start winning against good teams, but it hasn't happened yet. No one can blow them out, but they can't seem to win either.
There is lots of great discussion here, but Pipe, your comments are almost verbatim what I was thinking while watching that game. That 3 point shooter (Golden) doesn't even have a JUMP shot! How he was allowed to get that open is a real mystery! Sheesh! Those calls were absolutely horrid and I too thought every out of bounds call went to the Gaels. I was so hacked off I wanted to throw something at the TV.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:Slipping to a 12 is definitely not out of the question. Although that is the seed that always produces the first round upset right. :D
I think a #12 seed would be perfect for this group of Zags. would give them a reality check, and it is the seed that pulls off the most upsets. Lets see what happens, lots of season left.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

There is lots of great discussion here, but Pipe, your comments are almost verbatim what I was thinking while watching that game. That 3 point shooter (Golden) doesn't even have a JUMP shot! How he was allowed to get that open is a real mystery! Sheesh! Those calls were absolutely horrid and I too thought every out of bounds call went to the Gaels. I was so hacked off I wanted to throw something at the TV.[/quote]

I wanted to throw something at the TV too...then I seen my pretty new LCD TV and held back :lol:
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

Simon,

can't remember the last time someone called me Pipe. been a long time. Guess I've been out of the valley too long.