06-07 Varsity Basketball

Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I just shoveled my driveway and there was easily a foot of snow. By the time I got done it was already piling up again.

Thanks for the info Gwen.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

As far as the Bonners Ferry (male) basketball player quitting, I can tell you with great confidence, he didn't have a choice. Let this be a reminder to all you current high school athletes, attitude is everything. Talent comes and goes.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I had heard something similar in regards to the player from BF who "quit." If it is true that the coach held firm and that this kid had no choice in the matter, then I applaud the coach. He pretty much just sacrificed about roughly 1/2 of his team's output both offensively and defensively so he could have an actual team of kids who want to play and work hard. That is not common these days. The BF basketball program will be better off overall because of the decision, even if the drop off is drastic at first.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Can anyone post the starting lineups for the girls and boys?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I can give you the names of those on the rosters for Varsity. Starting lineups come and go...
Girls:
Steph Cantrall (S)
Sarah Priest (S - injured)
Amethyst Aitken (S)
Taryn Cochrane (J)
Bridget Lund (J)
Marissa Bush (J)
Kayla Calabretta (J)
Steph Crow (J)
Katie Dumont (J)
Amanda Seeling (So)
Kelsey Hardin (So)
Hailey Fuller (F)
Check this link: http://panhandlepreps.com/KelloggGirls.html

Boys:
Josh McDonald (S)
Aaron Stribling (S)
Alex Johnson (S)
Jeremiah Big Spring (J)
Ty Ketchum (J)
Jonathan Fuller (J)
Adam Furlin (J)
Seth Ketchum (So)
Mick Marion (So)

:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Great article, Gwen. Thanks for sharing that. And kudos to KHS class of 78 alum Steve Bourgard who coaches the girls.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but credit for finding it goes to Simon (sorry I forgot to mention it earlier). He told me about the article.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Big Spring, what a great basketball name! :D
Hey Simon, are the two Fuller kids related to Bobby Fuller 90' of Pinehurst?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:Big Spring, what a great basketball name! :D
Hey Simon, are the two Fuller kids related to Bobby Fuller 90' of Pinehurst?
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is a great article Simon/Gwen. It is so great to see a dominant Kellogg sports team. And only 2 Seniors, that is amazing. First things first in that they need to take care of business at Districts, but assuming they play up to their potential, I can't wait to see what they do at the State Tournament this year. Should be an exciting post-season.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Yeah, I hate to presume we are going to State, but they definitely have some awesome potential. We will get a pretty good gauge tonight as they travel to Priest River for a huge IML game. It would sure be nice to have the #1 seed going into Districts this year.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Simon, is someone going to give updates on the games through the district and state games?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

We sure will try :)

I guess the girls lost a heartbreaker last night in PR and the boys lost in BF. Tough night for KHS.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Last night was indeed a tough night for KHS. It's my understanding the girls lost to PR by a score of 51-52. The boys lost to BFHS by a score of 51-55. It's always tough to beat BF in BF, but Kellogg was not playing their best last night. KHS has plenty of turnovers, their emotions were getting in the way and the game just did not go our way. Ty Ketchum kept us in the game (in fact, at one point we had a 10 point lead) in the first half with his excellent free-throw shooting. But our shots from the field were just no falling (this seems to have become a problem for KHS in the past few years).
I'm hoping the boys break the latest losing streak tomorrow night when the go to Wallace to play (for the third time this season) the Miners. The girls will be traveling to Timberlake tomorrow night and then home on Tuesday for their final game of the season against St. Maries.
We will try to keep you informed as play goes on througout districts and, hopefully, state.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

What's with all of the weeknight games on the road. I rarely remember having weeknight games, and if they were, they were in CDA or Post Falls. It sounds like the girls and boys teams are traveling to Bonners Ferry, Priest River, etc. on school nights. That is a long trip on the kids when they have to go to school the next day. Plus, it is harder for KHS fans to make the trip when many have to work the next day... What happened to the schedules where you play on just Friday and Saturday nights?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Fisher... that is a great question. The trend of moving games to week nights is beyond me. And people wonder why the gate earnings are so low every year. I don't understand either. Travelling to Bonners Ferry and Priest River on a school night is not the best scenario at all. So I don't have an answer to your question, but I certainly agree with your points.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The majority of basketball games are still played on Friday and Saturday nights (especially at the beginning of the season). But Tuesday and Thursday nights are also basketball game nights. I don't enjoy traveling as far as Bonners Ferry or Orofino on a week night, I would prefer those games be on Friday or Saturday, but I guess that's not always possible. We did have a fairly small fan base last night (mostly parents) because it is difficult for those who work to get away on time to make it. The Bonners crowd, however was quite large and quite vocal.
;)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yeah... It is just too bad. Those are way too long of trips on school nights. There was nothing better when growing up, traveling and watching the games on every Friday and Saturday nights it seemed. I just hoped to make it home for "Night Tracks". Anyways, the games are the most intense, heated, and fun when the visiting crowd has a better chance to go to the game on weekends. This makes for a much better atmosphere... Even games in Andrew's, they are so much more fun when the visiting team has a large crowd.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

For those who don't know, I recently added a thread to the KHS sports history board regarding an article in the PF Press about Chris Wellman. It has been brought to my attention that Coach Bourgard made the front page of the sports page in the Spokesman Review thursday - in fact it was a two page spread. It was not my intention to single out the article on Mr. Wellman and not Coach Bogie - I just didn't get yesterdays Spokesman until today :cry: . I couln't access the article online because it is too new and I don't have an account with the Spokesman. I did, however, find a great article on the success of the girls team and the new attitude that Coach Bourgard has brought with him.

The story features Kaela Calabretta and can be found here.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I don't have a Spokesman account either and I couldn't view the article without logging in. :(