College Basketball 2007-08

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

How far will Gonzaga make it this season?

1st Round of NCAA Tournament
17%
2nd Round of NCAA Tournament
33%
Sweet 16
17%
Elite 8
33%
Final 4
No votes
NCAA Championship Game
No votes
National Champions
No votes

Total votes: 6

Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Brian, are you kidding me? Anyone who's anyone from Kellogg has a nickname. Wear it with honor.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Couple of good games on tonight:

Kansas at Texas - 6:00 p.m. ESPN - Hopefully Roops' boys can "hook 'em" tonight and pull off the upset.
Saint Mary's at Santa Clara - 8:00 p.m. ESPN2 - I actually want St. Mary's to win this so they can keep the pressure on the Zags, who will hopefully respond.

And if you want to watch the Zags win by 45+ points again tonight, tune into KHQ at 5:00 p.m. as they host the pitiful Layola Marymount Lions... This would be on FSN for PLU Troll and Stovern over on the "west side".
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Did anyone watch that Clemson/Carolina game last night??? Wow is all i can say. Clemson cant win for nothing at Chapel Hill! I cant wait for Duke/Carolina II because Lawson should be abck for that and should be a different game this time.

I know what u mean Casey about St. Marys winning, but i would prefer them to lose, it will still keep the pressure on the Zags, because the Zags will still have to beat them at home.

Remember the old Loyola Marymount teams that were putting up 120 a game back in the day?? That was some fun basketball to watch back then. I wouldnt mind seeing a college team play liek that again. Defense is fun to watch, but scoring is more fun!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Clemson should have beat UNC twice this year. The Heels just found a way to pull it out at the end and keep their composure... I cannot believe though that Clemson is 0-53 all-time at Chapel Hill. That is simply unbelievable, especially since Clemson has a good team every so often that makes the NCAA Tournament...

Ken, like you said, LMU used to put up the points. They may have very well won the NCAA Championship in 1990 if Hank Gathers would not have died on the court during the WCC Tournament. Despite losing Hank and his 32.7 Points and 13.7 Rebounds per game (he led the nation in both categories), LMU made it to the Elite 8 and lost to eventual champion UNLV. I will never forget the image of Bo Kimble (a right-handed player) shooting his first free throw of each game left-handed in memory of Gathers, who, while naturally right-handed, was a poor free-throw shooter and had, for a time, attempted to shoot left-handed. And Bo made that left-handed free-throw in each game...

Memphis tries to play a little like LMU used to, but they are only in the high 80's per game compared to LMU's 110's per game.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Here are the scores of every Loyola Marymount game during the 1989-90 Season. Ken, I would love to see scores like this today. They got over 140 points seven times and over 150 points three times. The score that I like the most is that they put up 149 points against Michigan in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. Most NCAA Tourney games today have 149 points for the combined point total of both teams.

Date Opponent Result Box Score
Nov. 15, 1989 at UNLV L, 91-102
Nov. 25, 1989 NEVADA-RENO W, 145-102
Dec. 1, 1989 ! vs Stetson W , 126-95
Dec. 2, 1989 ! at Jacksonville W, 106-105
Dec. 7, 1989 at US International W, 152-137
Dec. 9, 1989 UC SANTA BARBARA W, 104-101
Dec. 19, 1989 at Oregon State W, 117-113
Dec. 23, 1989 OKLAHOMA L, 121-136
Dec. 30, 1989 NIAGRA W, 122-87
Jan. 2, 1990 at Xavier L, 113-115
Jan. 4, 1990 at Saint Joseph's W, 99-96
Jan. 6, 1990 at LaSalle W, 121-116
Jan. 11, 1990 * at Santa Clara W, 113-100
Jan. 13, 1990 * at San Diego W, 119-112
Jan. 19, 1990 * GONZAGA W, 144-100
Jan. 20, 1990 * PORTLAND W, 131-106
Jan. 25, 1990 * at Portland W, 126-103
Jan. 27, 1990 * at Gonzaga W, 99-88
Feb. 1, 1990 * SAINT MARY'S W, 150-119
Feb. 3, 1990 at Louisiana State L, 141-148 (OT)
Feb. 4, 1990 * SAN FRANCISCO W, 157-115
Feb. 9, 1990 * at San Francisco W, 137-123
Feb. 10, 1990 * at Saint Mary's W, 139-110
Feb. 14, 1990 * PEPPERDINE W, 131-116
Feb. 17, 1990 * at Pepperdine L, 123-131
Feb. 23, 1990 * SAN DIEGO W, 131-119
Feb. 24, 1990 * SANTA CLARA W, 117-81
Mar. 3, 1990 $ GONZAGA W, 121-84
Mar. 16, 1990 % vs New Mexico St. W, 111-92
Mar. 18, 1990 % vs Michigan W, 149-115
Mar. 23, 1990 ^ vs Alabama W, 62-60
Mar. 25, 1990 ^ vs UNLV L, 101-131
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

U know what i didnt realize about LMU that year until u posted the scores, was they lost to UNLV in their first game of the season and in their last game of the season. I enjoyed watching LMU that year, and when they played UNLV in the NCAAs, that game was a big blur!! I have always wondered how they would have faired agaisnt UNLV is Hank Gathers hadnt passed away. That man was a workhorse and would have played right with Larry Johnson. and remember this, UNLV is my favorite college basketball team, even to this day in their struggling years. I got pretty excited about their tourney run last year.

if i remember right, in some games LMU was scoring on average, within the first 7 seconds of every possession, that is just amazing.

It is a big thing for college teams to score 100 points these days.

UNLV was another team that year that could put up some points. i cant remember what they averaged, but it was in the 90s.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

UNLV is one of my all time favorite teams also. They were unstoppable, even though they lost to duke (which I think someone was getting paid for that one) they need to be considered one of the best with their run and gun style offense. When I was stationed in Vegas I got to goto the Shark tank and watch for Tarkanians home return when he coached Fresno, was great to see. I keep track of them too Ken, they've had some incredible players come out of there even after Tark left.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is awesome that you went to the "Shark Tank" Mike...

By the way, during the Gonzaga game last night they showed a little clip of Loyola Marymount during the 1988-89 season. Well, during that year they beat US International by the score of 181-150, in the highest scoring Division 1 game of all-time... I would love to have a tape of that game. The fans sure got their money's worth that night.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

5 weeks from today is the best day of the year. It is the first day of the NCAA Tournament. We are on the downhill swing...
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

MArch MAdness, can u feel it?? I love this time of year.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

It's so close, yet so far away!!! At least the conference tourneys start in a little over 3 weeks.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:It's so close, yet so far away!!! At least the conference tourneys start in a little over 3 weeks.
Yea, i cant wait. next year is the tourney ion Spokane or is it the year after, we need to work on getting tickets!!!!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Yea, i cant wait. next year is the tourney ion Spokane or is it the year after, we need to work on getting tickets!!!!
It is 2010 I believe. Yeah, some of us got tickets last year and went. It was sweet. Roops put up pictures of it on a thread somewhere here in the sports section.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Ken Lagerquist wrote:Yea, i cant wait. next year is the tourney ion Spokane or is it the year after, we need to work on getting tickets!!!!
It is 2010 I believe. Yeah, some of us got tickets last year and went. It was sweet. Roops put up pictures of it on a thread somewhere here in the sports section.
Lets plan for it, i have a couple buddies that will probably come to it along with Brian, i know he will come
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

I'd love to go to spokane for the tournament. I assume it's just the first round? Maybe by then the Zags will figure out how to beat a good team. By the way have you guys been watching how good UConn has got since after the Zags beat them. It's turning into the Zags signature win after the fact.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

anyone else getting excited to see the St. Mary's rematch? Good win (though ugly) at San Diego last night. Zags just couldn't quite put them away. And someone please tell my why they have to pick some second rate 2 and turn him into a star by giving him 5 or 6 wide open 3 pointers. at one point I seen a pick and roll where neither guy followed the ball and the SD player was wide open. Sometimes I think we are getting better and more athletic recruits, but not always smart recruits. In the Zags system being smart matters almost as much as athletic ability.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I think the tourny is in Portland next year too. Portland in 09 and Spokane in 10
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

Watched the Portland vs. Gonzaga game last night. Heytfelt looked a little better, but he still has the worst post moves I've seen for a big guy. He actually bends over in the post and makes himself smaller. Can we get Jon Koepl to teach him some foot work? Jon couldn't jump a bit, but he had the best footwork in the post I've ever seen. Heytfelt could desperately use that.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

What a season it was. It looks like Bill Self is going to be the flavor of the month until midnight madness arrives. What a championship game that was - I think of the 4 #1 seeds, Kansas was the most overlooked as far as winning the national title so kudos to Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks. I can't wait until next year already - Hook 'Em horns!!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yeah, Kansas snuck up on all the other #1 seeds and won it all. Good call Roops. I definitely would have thought they would be the least likely of the four 1 seeds to win it all and they did so... Now, is Bill Self going to leave for Oklahoma State? They are offering him a lot of cheddar!!!