Football

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:I humbly admit my prediction of a G-Men victory.

Brady looked lost without Weis calling the plays (ND plug) and Belichick is a pouty little jerk. lol

It was great to see an ND D-lineman (Tuck) beat up on a Wolverine (Brady). (Another ND plug.
)

In all seriousness, that was a GREAT game and I am glad the Giants won. The Mannings are 100% class and Coughlin was on the hot seat in week 3, yet here he is pulling off one of the biggest Superbowl upsets of all time.

Awesome stuff.
Yawn!!! LOL

It was one of the better Super Bowls in quite some. I believe Brady looked lost because the Giants wouldnt let him rest and they had a great game plan of getting to him and making him rush his decisions. Even tho i hate both teams, i am just glad we didnt see "history" tonight, now we get to continue to listen to Mercury Morris's rambling the next time someone gets close to being perfect. And he may be irritating, but he is speaking the truth, dont come to them about it until they have gone completel;y undefeated
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Yeah I think that was one of the best superbowls I've seen and the biggest upset.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yet another slap in the face us fans received from the BCS today. I guess college football wants to continue to settle their National Champion via the computer system and not on the field...

"HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- There will be no playoff for the BCS anytime soon.

Bowl Championship Series officials rejected a plan Wednesday to turn the controversial system for deciding a national champ into a four-team playoff, starting in the 2010 season.

After threel days of meetings, the BCS conference commissioners decided to move forward with the current system, rejecting the notion of a "plus-one" format to decide a champion. The SEC and ACC presented a specific plan that would have pitted the No. 1 vs. No. 4 and No. 2 and No. 3 in a Final Four of football."
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Yea i saw that Casey, the BCS is making College Football a JOKE!! Plain and simple!!! The teams are so even anymore, that it only makes sense to have some type of plus 1 or playoff to decide the national champion. I heard an argument over this i think it was on Around the Horn. THe NCAA is worried about classes being missed by the football players, but they are not too worried about classes being missed by basketball players during the preseason torunament and the 3 weeks of the NCAA Tournament and NIT tournament. THey need to get of this kick and see that the Playoff system will make them some moneynot take away money. As much as i love watching college football, this is really sad to see that they still want to use a COMPUTER to decide the National Champion. Doesnt it seem kind of weird that it is the ONLY big time Sport that the Champion ISNT decided on the field or court?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yeah Ken. It is absolutely ridiculous!!! They kids wouldn't miss any school in the first place because they are on Christmas Vacation in early January... I know the Bowl games make them a lot of money, but it is more than past time to make a change. I'm with you in that I love college football like no other, but it is a sport completely opposite of college hoops in that I like the regular season, much more than the post season. There are way too many bowl games and the BCS games are a joke and a waste of time watching.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

What i dont like also are teams with 7-6 records or 6-6 records going to bowl games. Those are the bowl games that dont make money. There would be more prestige to these bowl games if they made it harder to get to a bowl game and had less of them and then included a playoff of some sort. I will watch the regular season all day long, but when it comes to the Bowl games, i only watch My Buffaloes IF/When they are in a bowl game and the big 4 bowls, thats about it. all the other bowls are a waste of TV time and money IMO
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

We are in a day and age where more than half of the teams in Division 1 football make it to a bowl game. Like you said Ken, 6-6 teams don't deserve to be playing... It used to be an honor to make it to a bowl game. Now, it is to the point where if you don't make a bowl game you had a terrible season... I wish some of the other teams would follow Golf Coach's Fighting Irish in that they would turn down a mediocre bowl game. I applaud Notre Dame for doing that. I am tired of watching a 6-6 Nebraska team playing in some chump bowl in Detroit against the 5th place Conference USA team. If Idaho was 6-6, then yes they should accept. When The Cornhuskers are 2-6 in their conference and 6-6 overall, they should decline.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Very well said Casey, i was thinking the very same thing about turning down Bowls like the Irish did! If the BCS would take a look at Conference records like they do for the NCAA Men's basketball tournament, things would be much better for the bowl games
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I think the biggest mockery of the BCS is when a team that doesn't even win its own conference gets into the National Championship Game or another monster BCS game. This frequently happens in the Big 12 and SEC because of their conference championship games. Oklahoma got into the championship a few years back, despite getting beat in the Big 12 Title game. Just plain stupid. Also, a couple teams didn't even win their own division of their conference and got in there. I think there should be at least a clause in the BCS that the 2 teams that play for the National Title have to win their conference. Anyways, I will stop here as I could write a 30 page novel on why the BCS is a joke.