Post by Gwen Johnson »

Update from Simon:
Kellogg: 33
Sugar-Salem: 44
3:30 Q4

Kellogg: 36
Sugar-Salem: 51
1:29 Q4
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Final score of game 2:
Kellogg: 36
Sugar-Salem: 57
Conflicting reports here...the radio gave the score above, but then they were calling one of our players Palmer all through the second half and none of us has a clue who he was talking about. Simon says the score was 56-36. Either way, not our best showing.
I feel sick for those girls. They've been carrying some pretty high expectations on their shoulders this whole season. It's so much easier to come into a tournament with little to no expecations.
:(
Well, we won't have to play Bonners Ferry tomorrow.
:)
Wallace played a loser-out game against Cascade at the same time we were playing Sugar-Salem. KWAL is now airing that game. I'll update you on that when it's over. They lost their first game yesterday to Shoshone.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Good job on the updates Gwen.

I read earlier in the week on Idahosports.com message boards that Sugar Salem looked like their guards were EVERYWHERE on the court in their win vs. Shelley earlier in their Dist. tourney. That is what it was like today. SS slapped a 3/4 court press on us and our girls just never figured it out. When we broke the first wave of pressure, we took bad shots, then we went on a turnover binge too. Overall, Dumont played her heart out... and Freshman H. Fuller had a really solid showing in some big pressure situations! Cantrall had some hot streaks, but other than that, that is the most rattled and cold I have seen the girls all year. I guess the Sugar Salem curse lives.

Bonners Ferry definitely got a sweetheart draw. I predict Sugar Salem and Shelley for the State Title. Sugar Salem is a good team.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks for the updates... I have not one word bad to say about our KHS Girls Basketball team. They have great girls and a wonderful coaching staff. I am one of hopefully many who can say, "I am still proud to be a Wildcat and very proud of the girls team this year". They have nothing to hang their heads about. They all make us proud every game...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Well said, Casey. We are all proud of those girls. I just hope they won't take the loss too hard and will come out to do their best tomorrow. The Wallace girls bounced back from their first round loss and defeated Cascade this afternoon. I didn't catch the final score, but Wallace was up by 16 with about a minute left in the game. Hopefully, Kellogg will do come out tomorrow against Filer and play like we all know they can.
Simon
Thanks for all the updates, it was very helpful as the signal from Middleton was just crap on the radio. It was breaking up all the time and whoever was calling the game was flustered. It was quite confusing to listen to at times.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:Thanks for the updates... I have not one word bad to say about our KHS Girls Basketball team. They have great girls and a wonderful coaching staff. I am one of hopefully many who can say, "I am still proud to be a Wildcat and very proud of the girls team this year". They have nothing to hang their heads about. They all make us proud every game...
Good thoughts Rock. I agree. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way all the time. If anything, I am frustrated that Bonners Ferry gets 2nd at our district tournament, wins a play-in game and gets a draw like Filer. At one point BF was up 19-2 and Filer looked like a JV team. Granted Filer fought back, but they are still not on the level of Sugar Salem. It is nobody's fault, but it is still frustrating nonetheless.

But you are right. We traveled all the way down here and we are as proud of the Lady Wildcats as we were when they won the District Tournament.

You must also remember that we had just 1 Senior on the starting 5, and with Hailee Fuller stepping up, next year looks darn good for the Lady Cats!

Also, the KHS Band represented Kellogg well, once again. Awesome job to them!

Hopefully tomorrow the girls can show some resolve and character and leave it all out on the court, living to play again Saturday!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I don't understand the bracket at all. I mean, it's only 8 teams, it would take rocket science to arrange those teams so that two teams from the same district are not in the same half of the bracket, yet both district I/II teams are always in the top half of the bracket. That's ridiculous. They seem to manage getting the two district VI teams on opposite ends of the bracket.
*sigh*
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I wonder what the actual process is for placing them in the bracket. I am sure they have a system... I just can't say I am overly impressed with the system at this point! But maybe it was just dumb luck that we had to face Sugar Salem and 2nd rep Bonners Ferry got matched up against 9-9 Filer.

Here is a quote from an article in the Idaho Statesman with Fruitland's Head Coach Beth Holt talking about the seeding and matchups. (Fruitland had to play Shelley)

On the other side of the bracket is last year's state runner-up Kellogg (20-2). The Wildcats also have a trying first-round game against Sugar-Salem at 3 today at Middleton.

"I think that Kellogg and Sugar facing off in that other bracket is an even tougher draw than ours," Holt said.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Game 5 of the state tournament (consolation bracket) will be starting in about five minutes. Simon will be sending updates via e-mail again. I will be listening via KWAL. So, we'll keep you posted. ;)
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Update from Simon:
Kellogg: 3
Filer: 3
5:11 Q1

Kellogg: 8
Filer: 5
4:24 Q1
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Update from Simon:
Kellogg: 8
Filer: 7
3:00 Q1

Kellogg: 14
Filer: 11

Kellogg: 16
Filer: 14
End of Q1

KWAL also announced that Wallace will play Kootenai tomorrow morning in the 1A consolation championship.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Update from Simon:
Kellogg: 24
Filer: 14
Q2
Thanks to back to back 3s by Steph Cantrall!

Kellogg: 27
Filer: 17
4:14 Q2
Another 3 by Cantrall!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

From Simon:
Kellogg: 29
Filer: 17
1:15 Q2

Bush at the line.
Kellogg: 30
Filer: 18
1:01 Q2

Kellogg: 30
Filer: 18
Halftime
Simon added this:
"The girls are showing a lot of character and resolve today. The bench has been great as Crow, Fuller & Harden all provided sparks coming into the game."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

From Simon:
Kellogg: 32
Filer: 21
5:50 Q3

Kellogg: 37
Filer: 23
3:11 Q3
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

From Simon:
Kellogg: 40
Filer: 23
2:04 Q3

Kellogg: 42
Filer: 24
0:54 Q3

Kellogg: 43
Filer: 24
End of Q3
"Wildcats playing with the hearts of champions!"
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

From Simon:
Kellogg: 45
Filer: 26
6:42 Q4
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I don't want to be premature, but it looks like I'll get another chance to watch the Kellogg girls tomorrow! Yea!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

From Simon:
Kellogg: 45
Filer: 33
3:58 Q4

Kellogg: 49
Filer: 35
2:40 Q4

Kellogg: 51
Filer: 35
1:38 Q4
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The WILDCATS WIN!
Kellogg: 56
Filer: 38
Final
:D

Kellogg will play in the consolation championship game tomorrow morning at 8:15 PST. We'll keep you updated.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Congratulations to the girls again! A win at state is a great thing, and now they'll play for the consolation championship, which is fourth place.

By the way, Coach Roberts stopped by my room while I was checking the score today. He'd been doing the same. We were talking about our frustration with the seeding for the state tournament, and he gave me the following information. Evidently, the brackets are set up by drawing names from a hat. That's right ladies and gentlemen--it's (almost entirely) random. Thanks a lot, IHSAA. Evidently they do make sure, to the extent that they can, that two teams from the same league don't play in the first round, but otherwise, it is random. Which is why, for example, that in our league down here, the fourth place finisher is scheduled to have a more favorable seed than the third place finisher, at the boys' state tournament in two weeks. There has got to be a better way to do this.