06-07 Varsity Basketball

Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

My cousin is Amythest Aitken, she transferred to Kellogg this year from Bonners, so I have been following more closely than usual. I am happy they are having such a great season and I'm so thankful for the updates!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

If they win tomorrow night, would it be the girls first District Championship ever in basketball? I don't know if they won districts when they made it to state in '91 or not. Before that, I don't even know when else they made it to state?
Last edited by Casey Fisher on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

With all due respect to Bonners Ferry, if our girls play like they are capable of tomorrow night, they (KHS) will not lose.

I watched BF play St. Maries Saturday night and they have some great players in Becky Lowther and Katie Poston, but on a neutral court we can beat them, I am confident.

I hope Fisherrock and Roops can make it to Rolly Williams Court. :lol:
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Depending on how busy I am at work, I will try to make it. No promises though. I will definitely be there in spirit if I can't physically make it.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I will have my cell phone. I can txt you updates if you can't make it.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks Golf Coach. I will really try to make it though, but if not that would be great.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

The girls made it to state in 1989 (Rhonda Merrick, Stacey Fulton, Sarah Brackebusch...I'm probably leaving out someone significant). Jim Currie was the coach, and I'm pretty sure they went as the second seed from the North. Rhonda set a state record for most 3-pointers in a tournament game (I think it was 5), but I don't remember if they won any games.

The commute's a bit long for me, but I'll be there in spirit as well, and I'll be anxiously awaiting the results.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That's right Laurie. I remember them making it that year. I think they were the 2nd team out of the north in 91 as well. I think this may be the 1st Girls Hoops District Title if they win tomorrow night.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Were Dusti Birmester (sp) and Susie Linch on that team?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I think they were, as well as Amy Big Spring, I think.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

It's funny how we have boys teams burned into our memories but the girls teams we have to piece together. I remember going to some of those games. Some of them were brutal. Rocky Buckham and I would taunt the opposing teams.

On a side note, since old V-ball games were brought up, I can remember the football team going to V-ball home game in 88 & 89. We would cheer so loud and wildly that we would get repremanded by the official. The girls loved it and we had a great time doing it!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Mike,
That tradition has continued at KHS. The football players are nearly always at home VB matches and at some away matches too. The kids cheer quite loudly at our matches, though they rarely get warned by the refs. The Bonners Ferry coach mentioned our loud gym in one of her interviews after we beat her squad this fall.
:)
Likewise, the VB girls attend the football games and quite often sell 50/50 tickets to raise money for their program.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I think that is awesome!
Sometimes I really miss kellogg. I would love to raise my kids there, but like we have all mentioned there are no jobs. If I was offered a relatively good job up there I would seriously consider it. I think quite a few alum probably would. I have always dreamed of some how getting some capital to build a factory there...Something that would have 10.00/hr jobs, 18.-22.00hr jobs and excec type jobs.
I'm sure everyone right now is thinking, "ya, well duh!"
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

The WILDCATS WIN!!!!
...everything tonight! :D
Our boys teams swept St. Maries (C-team won by 36, JV won by 6 and the Varsity score was 62-37).
Then there was the District I Championship at Christiansen Gymnasium at NIC...
Kellogg defeated Bonners Ferry 45-35 (according to KWAL). The girls shot 18 of 20 from the line. Amanda (our league MVP) had 22 points and 14 rebounds. I don't know the stats for the other girls, but it sounds like they all played well and played as a team. I'm so proud of our Wildcat players this evening!
ON TO STATE!
;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Yea Cats! It's past my bedtime, but I finally gave in and called the Miller cell for district tournament results. Mrs. Coach Miller filled me, and now, hopefully, I can get some sleep. I'm so glad I'll get a chance to cheer on the girls in person.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

I wish I could join you in watching the girls play at state. :( Unfortunately, I'm holding out for the boys and I can't afford the time or money it would take to watch both teams. My daughter will be going down with the band, however. So, she can keep me informed. ;)
I hope you and the Millers have a great time at the tournament.
Now I'm depressed that I won't get to see this team play again. :(
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

It was indeed a great game at NIC for the District Championship. The Bonners girls really made the game physical. Most of them were in foul trouble all night and it hurt them at the end. Our girls really hung tough and played hard from start to finish. They gave us a little scare early in the 3rd quarter, but they regained their composure and put the Badgers away.

I believe this is the KHS Girls' first District Championship! Congratulations to Coach Bogie and the girls!

ON TO STATE!

"The cats in the bag and the bags in the creek... pack your bags momma we are headin to Middleton!"
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I feel your pain, Gwen. All the years I worked in Kellogg I always saved my personal days for the boys' state bball tournament, but that made it hard to miss other opportunities. We were talking earlier this week about 1989. That was my first year on contract at KHS (1988-89), and that year both the boys and girls had very successful seasons. I was very bummed to miss the girls' tournament, but again, I had to choose and the boys won out. Which, it still saddens me to say, turned into one of the most disappointing state tournaments ever. The boys were favored to take the whole thing, but somehow lost in the first round after leading by 17 in the third quarter. Okay, I'm sorry I brought that up. Let's focus on the potential ahead of our girls and boys!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Laurie Roberts wrote:I feel your pain, Gwen. All the years I worked in Kellogg I always saved my personal days for the boys' state bball tournament, but that made it hard to miss other opportunities. We were talking earlier this week about 1989. That was my first year on contract at KHS (1988-89), and that year both the boys and girls had very successful seasons. I was very bummed to miss the girls' tournament, but again, I had to choose and the boys won out. Which, it still saddens me to say, turned into one of the most disappointing state tournaments ever. The boys were favored to take the whole thing, but somehow lost in the first round after leading by 17 in the third quarter. Okay, I'm sorry I brought that up. Let's focus on the potential ahead of our girls and boys!
But the KHS Band sure rocked that year at State! Hoo-rah!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Official girls box score:

Kellogg 45, Bonners Ferry 35
Kellogg 12 9 8 16 -- 45
Bonners Ferry 4 5 15 11 -- 35

» Scoring
Kellogg (20-2) Cantrall 5, Bush 3, Lund 0, Cochrane 0, Crow 0, Calabretta 7, Dumont 8, Fuller 0, Aitken 0, Seeling 22.

Bonners Ferry (14-8 ) Lowther 14, Kelly 4, Robertson 12, Hiatt 0, Kellogg 0, Winkelseth 2, Tetrault 0, Poston 5.

Boys:

Kellogg 62, St. Maries 37
St. Maries 8 8 9 12 -- 37
Kellogg 11 19 14 18 -- 62

» Scoring
St. Maries (3-16) Grubham 15, Cox 0, Baker 3, Ja.Szilasi 3, Smith 0, Tweedy 2, Masterson 14.

Kellogg (12-6) Fuller 8, T.Ketchum 16, Johnson 7, Stribling 0, Furlin 4, Marion 5, McDonald 10, Big Spring 12, S.Ketchum 0.