On this day...

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

On this day...

Post by Jason Spoor »

I thought i'd start a sports history topic that may or may not generate some interest. I always find it intersting to know what happened on "this day" in years past. This could bring up some interesting stories if someone remembers where they were or what they were doing on that particular day. So let us begin with......

July 27th, 1992 - Boston Celtics star Reggie Lewis died after collapsing on a Brandeis University basketball court during practice. He was 27 years old.

I remember hearing the news and was absolutely shocked. Reggie Lewis was, IMHO, one of the best players in the NBA at the time of his passing.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Excellent thread Roops. I don't remember where I was or what I was doing on this day in 1992, but I will definitely throw some sports statistics on here in the future days ahead. Good work.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

2 fer

July 28th, 1991 - Dennis Martinez (Montreal Expos) pitched the 13th perfect game in major league baseball history.

July 28th, 1994 - Kenny Rogers (Texas Rangers) pitched the 14th perfect game in major league baseball history.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

July 28th 2002 - Rockafellas pull off an upset in Silver Hoops beating a short handed "He Hate Me" team in a game that was played immediately after a massive rain/thunder storm and featured multiple hard fouls and questionable "Hack a Shaq" methods. Team He Hate Me was without the 2 point shooting and hustle play of Brian "Big Pun" Carlson and had to play the game with no substitutions. Despite dominating the paint with Casey "The Rock" Fisher, He Hate Me struggled from the FT line due to a waterlogged ball from the rainstorm.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

that is an awsome addition Coach - just classic!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Simon Miller wrote:July 28th 2002 - Rockafellas pull off an upset in Silver Hoops beating a short handed "He Hate Me" team in a game that was played immediately after a massive rain/thunder storm and featured multiple hard fouls and questionable "Hack a Shaq" methods. Team He Hate Me was without the 2 point shooting and hustle play of Brian "Big Pun" Carlson and had to play the game with no substitutions. Despite dominating the paint with Casey "The Rock" Fisher, He Hate Me struggled from the FT line due to a waterlogged ball from the rainstorm.
Golf Coach, this could be the funniest thing I have read in a long, long time. Good work. You mentioned the "Hack a Shaq" defense, but I liken it to a man riding a Shetland Pony as to the way they were defending me... LOL. Good work and great post. Roops, awesome thread buddy...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

July 29th, 1754 - The first international boxing match was held. The 25-minute match was won when Jack Slack of Britain knocked out Jean Petit from France.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Dang, that was a long time ago. If I said I remembered where I was during this fight, I would be telling a tale.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

On this day in sports I saw Archie Rauenhorst make a par on no. 6 from my back yard. No small feat for a 3 year old.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:On this day in sports I saw Archie Rauenhorst make a par on no. 6 from my back yard. No small feat for a 3 year old.
Flippin SWEET Archie!

What was the club selection? Driver, Put, Put? What a stallion. I bet I couldn't make Par from there.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

July 30th, 2001 - Lance Armstrong became the first American to win three consecutive Tours de France.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Born on July 30, 1889 Casey Stengel, New York Yankees manager.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

On this day 30 July 2007, we lost a coaching legend - Bill Walsh died from leukimia, led the 49ers to 3 SuperBowl Title and changed the game of football along the way.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

July 31st, 1932 - Enzo Ferrari retired from racing. In 1950 he launched a series of cars under his name.
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

July 30, 2007.....Playing a round of golf with Derek "the Worm" Williams and Sean Biotti at Pinehurst. Sean made 9 birdies and 2 bogies for a personal best 65. That boy was on fire!
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Biotti '68 wrote:July 30, 2007.....Playing a round of golf with Derek "the Worm" Williams and Sean Biotti at Pinehurst. Sean made 9 birdies and 2 bogies for a personal best 65. That boy was on fire!
That is very impressive! I just missed witnessing it by one day! Nice round Dog. What were his 9 hole scores Mike? That is a sweet round.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 1st, 1976 - The Seattle Seahawks played their first (preseason) game. The Seahawks lost 27-20 to San Francisco.
Mike Biotti '68

Post by Mike Biotti '68 »

[quote="Simon Miller"][quote="Mike Biotti '68"]July 30, 2007.....Playing a round of golf with Derek "the Worm" Williams and Sean Biotti at Pinehurst. Sean made 9 birdies and 2 bogies for a personal best 65. That boy was on fire![/quote]

That is very impressive! I just missed witnessing it by one day! Nice round Dog. What were his 9 hole scores Mike? That is a sweet round.[/quote]

31 going out....34 in for a sweet 65
"The patient fisherman catches the big fish"......Me
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Indeed that is sweet Mike. My best 9 hole round was a 31 about 5 summers ago when I played about 36 holes per day. After I went in with my group at the turn to get a drink, Stan told me "Don't try to guide it on the back!!" I proceeded to shoot a 42 on the back. I did everything I tell my kids not to do, including thinking ahead of my end score instead of taking it one shot at a time. :(

Good luck at the Miller Cup this weekend.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

August 2nd, 1921 - Eight White Sox players were acquitted of throwing the 1919 World Series.