Ewell R. Harris, 1947-2007, Class of 1965

A place to pay tribute and honor to those beloved KHS Grads who have gone before us.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Ewell R. Harris, 1947-2007, Class of 1965

Post by Gwen Johnson »

It is with a heavy but relieved heart that I share news about the passing of my dear Uncle and Godfather, Josh Harris around 4pm yesterday afternoon. He has suffered mightily these past 18 months with metastatic cancer and I am relieved that he is no longer in pain. However, true to his character, he knew the end was coming and wrote down everything he wanted in a notebook for his wife and daughter to ease their burden - from what type of service he wanted (including the music) to writing his own obituary.
In his younger days, most knew him as "Punky", but in his adult days, most knew him as "Josh". I knew him as both and I will miss him terribly. He was a friend to all and an enemy to none. His sense of humor lightened the mood of every group or individual he met. There is far less humor in the world today and a tender and loving soul has gone home to be with his heavenly Father.

Gwen

From the Oregonian Online:

Ewell R. "Josh" Harris
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
A memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 4, 2007, in Cornwell Colonial Chapel in Wilsonville for Ewell R. Harris, who died July 31 at age 60.
Mr. Harris was born June 8, 1947, in Kellogg, Idaho, and moved to Portland before serving in the Army. After his service, he returned to Portland, working as a security administrator for several companies, including Tektronix, Nike, Wackenhut and Legal Researchers Inc., which he owned. He graduated from Eastern Oregon State College and received a master's degree from Michigan State University. He lived in Wilsonville since about 2004. In 1977, he married Claudia Cutsforth.
Survivors include his wife; daughter, Erin Harris; brother, Pat Ryan; and sisters, Barbara Hoaglin and Judie Oliver.

http://www.oregonlive.com/obituaries/or ... xml&coll=7

From the Shoshone NewsPress Online:

Ewell R. "Josh" Harris, June 8, 1947
Posted: Friday, Aug 03, 2007 - 09:47:31 am PDT

Josh was born June 8, 1947 to Ewell R. "Lefty" and Anna May Harris in Kellogg. Josh graduated from Kellogg High School in 1965 and moved to Portland, Ore., then joined the U.S. Army Security Agency. When his four-year service concluded Josh moved back to Portland and worked with Meier and Frank.
Josh continued his career in security with William Winter Investigations (later Josh owned it as Legal Researchers Inc.), Tektronix, the Riedel Companies, NIKE, Integrated Device Technologies Inc., Pinkerton Security (now Securitas), Wackenhut and Kaiser Permanente.

Josh graduated with two Associate of Applied Science degrees from Portland Community College, a Bachelor of Science degree from Eastern Oregon State College (at age 43), and a Master of Science degree in Criminal Justice from Michigan State University (at age 57).

Josh was a long-time member of the Crime Prevention Association of Oregon and the Oregon Chapter of ASIS International (the American Society for Industrial Security). Josh tested for Certified Protection Professional (CPP) in 1978 and maintained his certification until retirement from security in 2006. With his retirement from security Josh was awarded ASIS International Lifetime Membership and the Lifetime designation of CPP. It was recently announced that Josh's colleagues and peers have chosen him to receive the 2007 ASIS Regional Certification Award for Region 1.

Josh's passions were his family and home, the security industry, and lighthouses. He was a charter member of the Oregon Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society and served as president for three consecutive years.

In 1977, Josh married Claudia Cutsforth and they were very blessed with the birth of their daughter, Erin Elizabeth, in 1980. In addition, Josh is survived by his brother Pat Ryan of Kellogg, his sister Barbara Hoaglin of Stanton, Mich., his sister Judie Oliver of Mill Creek, Wash., his mother-in-law Wanda Cutsforth of Hubbard, Ore., and his sisters-in-law Linda Cutsforth of Portland, Ore., and Sue Ann Nelson of Woodburn, Ore., and numerous nieces and nephews.

Memorial services will be held at Cornwell Colonial Chapel, 29222 Town Center Loop E, Wilsonville, Ore., at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 4, 2007. In lieu of flowers, please send a donation to the American Cancer Society, Willamette Falls Hospice, 1500 Division St., Oregon City, OR 97045; the Oregon Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society, PO Box 1332, Astoria, OR 97103; or a charity of your choice.

Please send condolences to: Cornwell Colonial Chapel, PO Box 753, Wilsonville, OR 97070.

http://www.shoshonenewspress.com/articl ... obit01.txt
[/url]
Last edited by Gwen Johnson on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Gwen,

I am sorry to hear of your uncle's passing, but like you said, I am glad that he no longer has to suffer. I know the last bit of time has been pretty taxing on you and I pray that you and your family find comfort in the coming days.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

Sorry for your loss Gwen. Take care.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Simon and Hank
Thank you both for your condolences. I appreciate them. I know you've suffered your own losses recently and my thoughts and prayers have been with families and friends of the other alumni listed here as well.
:)
Gwen
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

My Aunt graduated with him. I'm seeing her this weekend in Boise so I'll let her know. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Thank you, Mike. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your visit.
:)
Wally Baade

PUNKY

Post by Wally Baade »

Punky and I were Step Brothers. (Never got used to Josh as I only knew him as a young man).

He was always a sharp person.

He left us at a very young age, as many good people seem to do. (The good die Young)

He is missed. And he is remembered.