Carroll College is on the cover of Sports Illustrated

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Carroll College is on the cover of Sports Illustrated

Post by Casey Fisher »

I am beyond proud to announce that my alma matter is on the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated. The Carroll College Fighting Saints won their 5th NAIA National Championship in the last 6 years in a field of mud. This link tells the story about the incredible photo and a little bit about the heart, determination, and excellence of the Helena, Montana school.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Great post Rocktober.

What I like about this program is that they all have the heart of a champion. And the heart of a champion doesn't care if you are Div I, II, III, or NAIA, High School, Little League etc. It is the same no matter what level you play at. If you can get teams to play TOGETHER and truly believe in one another and not worry about ego, fame, recognition, you will have lots of success. Van Diest is the real deal and is coaching at Carroll for the right reasons and it shows in his teams. If Weis doesn't pan out next year, maybe ND could contact Van Diest!

What a great accomplishment for Carroll College. They should have College Gameday there one time next year!

"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Excellent additions Golf Coach... I was around Coach Van Diest quite a bit in the locker room, at the gym, etc. He is a flat, out classy guy on and off the field. He could easily be a Division 1A Coach, but he CHOOSES to stay at Carroll because he loves the area, his players, the atmosphere, the school, etc. One day I was in the training room getting my ankles taped and he was telling me how when you truly love the game (football, basketball, etc.) , there is no difference if there are 500 people watching you play in South Dakota than there is if 105,000 are watching you in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He said it is all about the stuff you just mentioned in your post...
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:One day I was in the training room getting my ankles taped and he was telling me how when you truly love the game (football, basketball, etc.) , there is no difference if there are 500 people watching you play in South Dakota than there is if 105,000 are watching you in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He said it is all about the stuff you just mentioned in your post...
That is a great story! I love it.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Sometimes at the big, fancy schools they forget that the game is played between the white lines.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey, great post. I didnt realize u went to school there. I remember Matt James going to school at Mt Tech. Anywaymy brother and i used to go to Carroll games all the time. Their program has gotten alot bigger since then of course. I also remember when Bobby Petrino played for them and now he is coaching at Arkansas. it just goes to show u that great minds can coach at these smaller schools too. And you are right about the bigger schools somewhat forgetting that the game is played between the white lines. Also, with Carroll winning the Championship once again, it just goes to show that the playoff system is the way to go. I believe it Generates more excitement because it is a playoff.

Just last year, Van Diest flirted with going to Montana State, but he didnt want to leave Carroll for the exact reasons u stated above. Carroll Football has become so big in that area, the town goes nuts over it. Im sure they will win more titles in the very near future, this is just another start to another run of consecutive Championships!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken, that is cool that you and your brother used to go to Carroll games. You should see their stadium now. It is state-of-the art for an NAIA school. It is a smaller version of a University of Montana football game... Like Golf Coach said, they need to have College Gameday there next season!!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Casey, great post. I didnt realize u went to school there. I remember Matt James going to school at Mt Tech. Anywaymy brother and i used to go to Carroll games all the time. Their program has gotten alot bigger since then of course. I also remember when Bobby Petrino played for them and now he is coaching at Arkansas. it just goes to show u that great minds can coach at these smaller schools too. And you are right about the bigger schools somewhat forgetting that the game is played between the white lines. Also, with Carroll winning the Championship once again, it just goes to show that the playoff system is the way to go. I believe it Generates more excitement because it is a playoff.

Just last year, Van Diest flirted with going to Montana State, but he didnt want to leave Carroll for the exact reasons u stated above. Carroll Football has become so big in that area, the town goes nuts over it. Im sure they will win more titles in the very near future, this is just another start to another run of consecutive Championships!
I believe Bobby Petrino's dad used to coach Carroll Football when my Uncle Pete played for them.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:
Ken Lagerquist wrote:Casey, great post. I didnt realize u went to school there. I remember Matt James going to school at Mt Tech. Anywaymy brother and i used to go to Carroll games all the time. Their program has gotten alot bigger since then of course. I also remember when Bobby Petrino played for them and now he is coaching at Arkansas. it just goes to show u that great minds can coach at these smaller schools too. And you are right about the bigger schools somewhat forgetting that the game is played between the white lines. Also, with Carroll winning the Championship once again, it just goes to show that the playoff system is the way to go. I believe it Generates more excitement because it is a playoff.

I believe Bobby Petrino's dad used to coach Carroll Football when my Uncle Pete played for them.
Yes he did used to coach Carroll, i remember when Bobby used to play there.

Casey, i have seen the stadium, it is a very nice facility. Maybe we can suggest to ESPN to do a Game day there. I hate it when all they do is focus on all the Big Schools. Doing a College Game day at Carroll and UM would be AWESOME. They dont realize how Raucous Missoula gets over their football there!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

My old man played Basketball there. The funnest Basketball camp I ever attended was there with the Loggy clan when they lived in Helena. Good times.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Thats right Matt your dad did play there. I remember u coming over for the camp, i use dto love that camp. Then we started going to the Griz camp and i had a lot more fun over there. Carrolls camps are good for the youngsters, then UM came out with the Team camps. lots of fun
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken, I love your new "Big Papa Pump" logo picture you have on there now. Great stuff!!!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:Ken, I love your new "Big Papa Pump" logo picture you have on there now. Great stuff!!!
Casey i knew u would like it, thats why i found it!!! The man sure does have some peaks thats for sure! Roid Monster, LOL