Merry Christmas!

The place to talk about anything you want.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Merry Christmas!

Post by Mike Nordin »

Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe happy new year!
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe happy new year!
You too Nords and to everyone on here. Merry Christmas!
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Simon Miller wrote:
Mike Nordin wrote:Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe happy new year!
You too Nords and to everyone on here. Merry Christmas!
Ditto to EVERYONE!!!! Stay safe where ever it is u may travel! I wish i was home! Two Christmas's in a row away from home, next year will be different
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Ken, I'm sorry you can't be stateside. I just want to say thanks to you and Mike for your service. :)
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Thanks Mike, i appreciate it
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Lauren A. Scrafford

Post by Lauren A. Scrafford »

As always a day late and dollar short; as I just got back on this group. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and best to all..

I remember the Merry Christmas sign, that at one time graced the BHS Smelter. The Christmas displays at the Bunker staff houses. The Lionel train layouts at both J.C. Penney's and Huttons(both in the basement). The Santa with the yellow beard that I thought had a 3 or 4 pack a day habit, at Huttons. This is probably the guy that made me realize that Santa was not exactly for real, but then there are those that made me realize that Santa is actually in our heart and is real for those young and old.

The year that I got an American Flyer train that I still have 1955, of course we lived on Railroad Avenue. Riding the passenger train to Wallace from Kellogg to see my grandfather(my Mothers father) on a cold snowy Saturday.

Of course one of my sisters used to wake us up at 3 am going through the presents. My Dad's response was always go back to bed(this is the family version). She also one year opened everyones present and told us exactly what we were getting, whether we wanted to know or not.

Ducking into Joe and Henry's when I was supposed to be Christmas Shopping, to shoot a little pool.

A certain teacher conning me into playing Santa Claus at the Washington Water Power Christmas Party for 2 years running. It worked well as my grandparents lived almost next door.

My parents making sure everyone had something, even during the strike years. Things were pretty tough at times but we always had a roof over our heads, a warm meal and clean clothes and plenty of love.

Many more memories,
L.A.Scrafford
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Have a good New Year's Eve everyone!!!!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Lauren A. Scrafford wrote:As always a day late and dollar short; as I just got back on this group. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and best to all..

I remember the Merry Christmas sign, that at one time graced the BHS Smelter. The Christmas displays at the Bunker staff houses. The Lionel train layouts at both J.C. Penney's and Huttons(both in the basement). The Santa with the yellow beard that I thought had a 3 or 4 pack a day habit, at Huttons. This is probably the guy that made me realize that Santa was not exactly for real, but then there are those that made me realize that Santa is actually in our heart and is real for those young and old.

The year that I got an American Flyer train that I still have 1955, of course we lived on Railroad Avenue. Riding the passenger train to Wallace from Kellogg to see my grandfather(my Mothers father) on a cold snowy Saturday.

Of course one of my sisters used to wake us up at 3 am going through the presents. My Dad's response was always go back to bed(this is the family version). She also one year opened everyones present and told us exactly what we were getting, whether we wanted to know or not.

Ducking into Joe and Henry's when I was supposed to be Christmas Shopping, to shoot a little pool.

A certain teacher conning me into playing Santa Claus at the Washington Water Power Christmas Party for 2 years running. It worked well as my grandparents lived almost next door.

My parents making sure everyone had something, even during the strike years. Things were pretty tough at times but we always had a roof over our heads, a warm meal and clean clothes and plenty of love.

Many more memories,
L.A.Scrafford
Lauren,

That is a great post. Those are some really special memories. I am thinking of expanding on this message board concept and starting a KHSGRADS blog site where we can all contribute blog articles too. I highly recommend any of you checking out the following blogs about Kellogg/Silver Valley.

http://kelloggbloggin.blogspot.com/

http://silvervalleystories.blogspot.com/
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hey Simon, can you send me your mailing address so I can send you some money for the site. I let my paypal account go so it would be easier for me that way. How much does the site need by the way?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:Hey Simon, can you send me your mailing address so I can send you some money for the site. I let my paypal account go so it would be easier for me that way. How much does the site need by the way?
Thanks Nords. Great question. The site is run by Gwen Johnson and myself, so the cost there is really just our time. We love doing it. Where the cost comes in is having the website and web applications hosted, as well as paying to keep the domain name khsgrads.com. We have had donations from $5 bucks all the way up to $100 bucks from different people. We welcome any donations and put them all towards paying for the hosting.

I was asked about actually hosting the site myself to save the hosting fees, but this takes time and hardware resources. I am not saying that I couldn't do it, rather that it would be a little bit time consuming for me at this point in my career as I adjust to my new role at KSD391. The hosting costs about $100 per year, but saves me the trouble from having to configure web apps, secure servers, etc. This way I can simply manage the stuff and let the web host do the finicky back end stuff.

Like you said, I have a Paypal account that I have been using for this, but if you don't have paypal, or a debit card, I can send you my mailing address. I am sending it to you Nords.

Happy New Year,

SM
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Mike Dye wrote:Have a good New Year's Eve everyone!!!!!
I second this!! I wish i was home for tonight!! Oh well, next year!! By the way Simon, i am with Nords, i will try and send some money thru PayPal. Did you have your Paypal link in the email??
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I feel like it's the pledge athon in pinehurst...I pledge 50$. That's what I would pay classmates and it's worth 50$ a year to me to talk to ya all. It's too bad more of our alumni don't use or find and use this site. Thank you gwen and simon and everyone else who make this happen!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:
I second this!! I wish i was home for tonight!! Oh well, next year!! By the way Simon, i am with Nords, i will try and send some money thru PayPal. Did you have your Paypal link in the email??
There is a paypal link on the main khsgrads.com webpage towards the bottom. http://khsgrads.com/

Next year indeed Ken. You will be back!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Mike Nordin wrote:I feel like it's the pledge athon in pinehurst...I pledge 50$. That's what I would pay classmates and it's worth 50$ a year to me to talk to ya all. It's too bad more of our alumni don't use or find and use this site. Thank you gwen and simon and everyone else who make this happen!
Nords, I am sure this site will do nothing but grow. But even the way it is now, it sure is cool to be able to talk to people. The Myspaces, Facebooks, etc will only help this grow.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Simon Miller wrote:
Ken Lagerquist wrote:
There is a paypal link on the main khsgrads.com webpage towards the bottom. http://khsgrads.com/

Next year indeed Ken. You will be back!

When I get back in a few weeks I'll be sending some thru paypal as well.
Lauren A. Scrafford

Post by Lauren A. Scrafford »

I hope every one has a Merry Christmas 2008 and a Happy New Years. Pretty quiet around here with all of the snow and cold weather... Not like North Idaho but we aren't used to it over here on the coast.

I was talking to my little sister Sharon, class of 1969 a bit ago. She lives in Alabama and we were reliving some of our childhood memories. She reminded me that her favorite Holidays were Christmas and Halloween and how as a good older brother I had instructed her on the fine art of cleaning out the town of all of its candy on Halloween. You had to have a huge reinforced pillowcase about the size of Santa's bag on Christmas. Anyhow that's a different subject.

I told my sister that my favorite Christmas growing up was 1960 when our father had been out on strike since May. My dad always worked 2 jobs to make ends meet for our family. He was able to still work about 20 hours a week at the Kellogg Evening News and filled in at the Wallace Miner a day each week when needed. I remember the Bank letting my parents just pay the interest on our house so we wouldn't lose it. The good days we ate hamburger and beans. It took me a long time to eat a hamburger after that. The schools gave all the kids on strike free hot lunches. It was a tough 7+ months before my dad went back to work 2 weeks before Christmas. We were not expecting anything for Christmas as it had been a very tough year. Christmas morning we awoke to find our Christmas stocking full of nuts, an orange and some Christmas candy. We were surprised as we thought we would not get a thing that year and to our real surprise my mother had hand made my sisters very nice bathrobes and a shirt for my brother and myself. That year I realized that Christmas was not about getting presents but about giving and sharing what you had with others, even if its just your love. My parents always gave and never expected anything in return that is why I think of them every Christmas.

Merry Christmas,
Lauren
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Merry Christmas and Happy NEw YEar to everyone!!!!