I know Simon will cringe, but.................

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Ken Lagerquist

I know Simon will cringe, but.................

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Watch out for the Lakers now!!!! Big pick up with Pau Gasol. Im not saying he is the second coming or the cure all end all for them, but this definitely makes them tougher, finally got rid of Kwame "hands of stone" Brown and got a BIG who can score, catch the ball, and rebaound, and possibly block a few shots. Should make for an interesting rest of the season and post season should be fun to watch. A starting five of DFish, Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Bynum looks pretty formidable. that front line is tough!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Re: I know Simon will cringe, but.................

Post by Simon Miller »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Watch out for the Lakers now!!!! Big pick up with Pau Gasol. Im not saying he is the second coming or the cure all end all for them, but this definitely makes them tougher, finally got rid of Kwame "hands of stone" Brown and got a BIG who can score, catch the ball, and rebaound, and possibly block a few shots. Should make for an interesting rest of the season and post season should be fun to watch. A starting five of DFish, Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Bynum looks pretty formidable. that front line is tough!!!
:roll:
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

LOL, i knew i would get a reply like that from u!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

Mitch Kupcheck is the man! got Gasol, and gave up almost nothing. Shut up Kobe in the process. They don't want Brown or Critten. two number 1's at the end of the first round aren't going to help them. Best move they could have hoped for.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Brian Stovern wrote:Mitch Kupcheck is the man! got Gasol, and gave up almost nothing. Shut up Kobe in the process. They don't want Brown or Critten. two number 1's at the end of the first round aren't going to help them. Best move they could have hoped for.
ditto!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Jason Spoor wrote:
Brian Stovern wrote:Mitch Kupcheck is the man! got Gasol, and gave up almost nothing. Shut up Kobe in the process. They don't want Brown or Critten. two number 1's at the end of the first round aren't going to help them. Best move they could have hoped for.
ditto!
And it made Simon Cringe for us to bring up the Lakers!! bwahahahahahahaha ,

Plus Gasol had 24 and 12 in his Lakers Debut, Kobe only had 6!

Rumor has it, Shaq going to Phoenix for Marion and MArcus Banks, bad move for Phoenix in my opinion. Why go for a Center on his last legs, literally? Shaq is done and needs to lose 50 pounds , but that wont happen.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:Rumor has it, Shaq going to Phoenix for Marion and MArcus Banks, bad move for Phoenix in my opinion. Why go for a Center on his last legs, literally? Shaq is done and needs to lose 50 pounds , but that wont happen.
I agree with you 100% on this Ken... I know the Suns need a big, defensive presence in the middle, but the Diesel is old and will slow the Suns down. Shaq Diesel cannot run and gun with Steve Nash. Plus, I think he will clog up the lane for Staudemire as well... I don't get it from a Suns prespective. Maybe they want a big man who can guard Duncan in the playoffs?
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Casey Fisher wrote:
Ken Lagerquist wrote:Rumor has it, Shaq going to Phoenix for Marion and MArcus Banks, bad move for Phoenix in my opinion. Why go for a Center on his last legs, literally? Shaq is done and needs to lose 50 pounds , but that wont happen.
I agree with you 100% on this Ken... I know the Suns need a big, defensive presence in the middle, but the Diesel is old and will slow the Suns down. Shaq Diesel cannot run and gun with Steve Nash. Plus, I think he will clog up the lane for Staudemire as well... I don't get it from a Suns prespective. Maybe they want a big man who can guard Duncan in the playoffs?
It was to give them a big body to match up against the Spurs and "try" to match up against the Lakers new formidable frontline
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

It's official. The Diesel is a Phoenix Sun... I think they are taking a huge risk/reward on this.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

yea, i agree Casey, if he can play and not be injured, it helps them, but i think it hurts them too, now they dont have anyone to defend the forwards. But u give and take with the trade.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

I think its a good trade to a point because they do need a true big man and Amare can play power forward now. Losing Marion is a big loss, but it sounded like he's been wanting out since the season began. Diaw should be able to pick up some of the slack....
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good points Mike... Plus, after listening to Shaq he sounds inspired once again to run.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I do see what Phoenix was doing as far as you need a dominant big man to win the NBA Championship. Just look at this list of former NBA Champs the past 3 decades. Every team on here had a dominant center, with the exception of the 3 Pistons Championships (but they had a defensive dominant center) and the Bulls in the 1990's - But they had in my opinion the greatest athlete ever to lace up a pair of shoes in any sport...

2006-07 San Antonio Spurs - Duncan
2005-06 Miami Heat - Shaq
2004-05 San Antonio Spurs - Duncan
2003-04 Detroit Pistons - Ben Wallace
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs - Duncan/Robinson
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers - Shaq
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers - Shaq
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers - Shaq
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs - Duncan/Robinson
1997-98 Chicago Bulls - Longley
1996-97 Chicago Bulls - Longley
1995-96 Chicago Bulls - Longley
1994-95 Houston Rockets - Olijowan
1993-94 Houston Rockets - Olijowan
1992-93 Chicago Bulls - Cartwright
1991-92 Chicago Bulls - Cartwright
1990-91 Chicago Bulls - Cartwright
1989-90 Detroit Pistons - Lambeer/Salley
1988-89 Detroit Pistons - Lambeer/Salley
1987-88 Los Angeles Lakers - Abdul-Jabar
1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers - Abdul-Jabar
1985-86 Boston Celtics - Parish/McHale
1984-85 Los Angeles Lakers - Abdul-Jabar
1983-84 Boston Celtics - Parish/McHale
1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers - Moses Malone
1981-82 Los Angeles Lakers - Abdul-Jabar
1980-81 Boston Celtics - Parish/McHale
1979-80 Los Angeles Lakers - Abdul-Jabar
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

My guess is they are thinking Shaq will be highly motivated this year. May even do ok next year, and the year after that he is a huge expiring contract. and we all know huge expiring contracts are great bargaining chips in the NBA. We'll see. I think it's a flawed plan I think. He might get them to the second round this year, but will totally ruin the team by next year.