March Madness 2008

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

Which team will win it all?

North Carolina
30%
Memphis
20%
UCLA
20%
Kansas
No votes
Tennessee
No votes
Any other team
30%

Total votes: 10

Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

March Madness 2008

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, it is finally here… A few of the small conference tournaments have started. The Zags start their WCC tournament run on Sunday. The big conferences start their tournaments next week. The NCAA Tournament Selection show is a week from Sunday… Does it get any sweeter than this??? Here is the thread to dissect our favorite time of the year, “March Madness”.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

CAsey, good thread, way to start it off. I say UNC wins it, they now have Lawson back, so that will help them out immensely. But they will only go as far as their defense will take them, but with Lawson back, their offense will be that much better. Duke/Carlina 2 this weekend, it really doesnt get much better than that. And we willprobably see them or a 3rd time in the Conf Tournament.

The Zags should make a good run this year, i say at least Sweet 16,like u said before, they arepeaking at the right time. And the Expectations arent there with them this year like in years past.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Ken Lagerquist wrote:The Zags should make a good run this year, i say at least Sweet 16,like u said before, they arepeaking at the right time. And the Expectations arent there with them this year like in years past.
I definitely agree with you that the expectations are not there nationally. I think many will pencil them in for a loss against their first round opponent. I am real anxious to see 1) if they win the conference tourney and 2) what seed they will get for the big dance. They are only 3-6 against the RPI Top 50 this year, which may hurt their seed.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

How about Gonzaga and Washintgon State both in the Final 4!!! I know the chances are very slim, but could you imagine how the area would react if just one of them made it??? It would be complete pandemonium!!!
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

We all would have to try our damndest to get tickets if they both made it!!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

I couldn't believe WSU's record against the RPI top 25. 0-6 I believe I seen on ESPN.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Brian Stovern wrote:I couldn't believe WSU's record against the RPI top 25. 0-6 I believe I seen on ESPN.
That is correct that they are 0-6 against the RPI top 25. That is a little misleading though as they have lost to UCLA and Stanford twice, who are in the Top 10, and they have lost to Arizona twice, who is #24 in the RPI... They are 4-0 against the RPI 26-50 though as they've beat Gonzaga and Baylor both on the road and they swept USC, so they are 4-6 vs. the RPI Top 50, which isn't great, but isn't too bad...

I sure hope they get another match-up with Stanford in the Pac-10 Tournament. They gave both of the games away against them this year...

Depending on how they do in the Pac-10 Tourney, I see them being a 5 or 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament... If they made a run and somehow won the Pac-10 Tourney, I could see them moving up to a 3 seed like they were last year.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

It was just surprising to me that they had that many opportunities against top 25 teams, and hadn't managed a win. Especially when 3 of the games were at home. I remember playing there (ok watching from the bench anyway), and their gym gets pretty crazy when they have a good team. If you can't win at least 1 or 2 of 3 games against top 25 teams at your own place your in trouble come tournament time.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Brian Stovern wrote:It was just surprising to me that they had that many opportunities against top 25 teams, and hadn't managed a win. Especially when 3 of the games were at home. If you can't win at least 1 or 2 of 3 games against top 25 teams at your own place your in trouble come tournament time.
Good point Brian. For some strange reason the Cougs have played better on the road this year than they have at home. They went 6-3 in the Pac-10 on the road and are 4-4 in the Pac-10 at home against the same teams... Getting swept by UCLA and Stanford is not horrible. But not beating Arizona once or twice this year is just not excusable.

I think the toughness night in and night out of the Pac-10 this year will have them ready for the NCAA Tourney though. They also won at Gonzaga this year, being one of only two teams to win the McCarthey Center ever. So they should be tournament tested.

Your main point is a good one though. Being 0-6 vs. the RPI Top 25 is very surprising and definitely doesn't look good on paper.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

They sure fell off after getting to #2 this year. and u guys are right, i thought they had a better record than that agaisnt the RPI top 25. they should be ok in the tourney. its right around the corner, im excited about the tourney. cant wait
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

It should be an exciting tourney, there isn't one dominant team out there. It just depends on the night and who wants it more. The seeding should be interesting to see, it's really coming down to the wire for quite a few teams.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good point Mike about there being a handful of teams who can all win it all. I think you could make a legit case for about 6 or 7 teams who could win it all, if their chips were in the right place...

Also, we are in the single digits (9 days) until the Tournament Selection Show!!!
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

To me there are three teams that really stand out. North Carolina, UCLA, and Memphis. It just depends who gets the breaks, but I would put my money on one of these three. If I had to narrow it further, a healthy North Carolina looks pretty good.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Brian Stovern

Post by Brian Stovern »

this year as much as any year it will come down to who get hot at the right time. I think North Carolina is the only team that can probably sleepwalk into the sweet 16. Everyone else I expect to have at least 1 close game to just get that far.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Matt Morgan wrote:To me there are three teams that really stand out. North Carolina, UCLA, and Memphis. It just depends who gets the breaks, but I would put my money on one of these three. If I had to narrow it further, a healthy North Carolina looks pretty good.
I agree Matt, plus Memphis hasnt really been tested this year except for the Tennessee.

Carolina now, as long as they play defense, and play liek they did in the last Duke game, they will be ok. UCLA will be right their, they play some tenacious defense, and have been tested in close games. It will definitely be a great tourney once again, but i bet one of those 3 gets knocked off, my money will be on Memphis to get knocked out first.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I think the great thing about this year's tournament is that even the top teams favored to win it all still have faults. You could make a case why they will lose as well as why they would win it...

I can't wait until that first upset on Thursday!!! That is when the tournament officially begins. I love it when that 12 beats the 5 in the first round as well.
Travis Fulton

Post by Travis Fulton »

I think college basketball should have bowl games just like football? Since it is working so good for them in football, they should just go ahead and contract out to basketball as well. Aren't these kids missing a lot of school?

There should be bowl games in high school sports as well. This year in the "Bogey & Son's Bowl" we have Kellog versus Shadle Park. I am not a fan of the BCS as you can see, so I am always pumped up for the basketball tournament. It is the greatest championship in sports where everyone has a chance.

Who are your sleepers this year? I will give you two.........Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt
Hey Thime, want to play some wif?
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

The BCS stands for Bull Crap System!!!! It is a sham and as long as the NCAA thinks about money, they will never get rid of it. It is proven in 1AA, and the NCAA feels that some games towards the season might not have as much importance, which is a crock. Anyway, back to March madness. THe greatest time in sports, the best 3 weeks ever, and it keeps u watching all the way thru.

Lets get ready, we are a week away!!!!! Wooohoooooooo.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Travis Fulton wrote:Who are your sleepers this year? I will give you two.........Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt
Nice call on these two sleepers, especially Pittsburgh. They looked tough yesterday and they have beat Duke this year at Madison Square Garden. They should be a tournament tough team.

I'm going to go with Southern California. And although they aren't really a sleeper, I can see Wisconsin making a Final 4 run this year... It's tough to tell before the brackets come out though. I can't wait until Sunday afternoon so our minds can think nothing but bracketology until Thursday...
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I have wathced every basketball game on DirecTV the last two weeks and have the unique opportunity to do nothing but watch games the next four(snapped my achilles tendon in half, ironically, playing basketball. Hurts, don't recommend it). I have to agree on the Pitt team being a sleeper. They got big heart, love Levance Fields and Sam Young. The other team I've been impressed with is West Virginia. They got a serious baller named Joe Alexander. He is the most dominating "shooting" forward I've seen in a while. If you haven't had a chance to watch him play, you should. I don't think either team will make the final four, but I think they will both mix it up until the round of 16, possibly Elite 8. Either of these two teams will be a serious problem for whoever they play.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.