Great Nintendo Sports Games

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.

What was your favorite Nintendo Sports Game?

Tecmo Bowl
No votes
Super Tecmo Bowl
14%
Excitebike
29%
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
14%
Baseball Stars
No votes
Golf
29%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Great Nintendo Sports Games

Post by Casey Fisher »

I figured this thread would take us back to the good ‘ol days… There were so many legendary Nintendo games. Many of them weren’t sports games, but we can discuss those as well noting Super Mario Bros., Contra, Legend of Zelda as a few favorites. Anyways, here are five of my favorites sports games off the top of my head. Please add to this and tell me your favs and/or comment on these great games:

Tecmo Bowl – First football game with real NFL rosters. This baffled my mind that I could go deep with Krieg to Largent.
Super Tecmo Bowl – Took Tecmo Bowl to another level by keeping season stats
Excitebike – First played this at the Kopper Keg. Was hours of entertainment. The Nintendo version you could create your own track.
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out – Best boxing game ever. Despite being 3 feet tall, Little Mack took out 7-foot monsters like Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, Super Macho Man, and King Hippo on his way to a showdown with Kid Dynamite (Tyson)
Baseball Stars – First baseball game that you could play a full season and it kept stats. Fulton and I played this one for days straight.
Golf – What can’t I say about this one. Mario tearing up the linx. I loved how the golf ball got larger as it was in the air. Loved how you could play 18 in about 10 minutes.

Let the good times roll fellas…
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Re: Great Nintendo Sports Games

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:I figured this thread would take us back to the good ‘ol days… There were so many legendary Nintendo games. Many of them weren’t sports games, but we can discuss those as well noting Super Mario Bros., Contra, Legend of Zelda as a few favorites. Anyways, here are five of my favorites sports games off the top of my head. Please add to this and tell me your favs and/or comment on these great games:

Tecmo Bowl – First football game with real NFL rosters. This baffled my mind that I could go deep with Krieg to Largent.
Super Tecmo Bowl – Took Tecmo Bowl to another level by keeping season stats
Excitebike – First played this at the Kopper Keg. Was hours of entertainment. The Nintendo version you could create your own track.
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out – Best boxing game ever. Despite being 3 feet tall, Little Mack took out 7-foot monsters like Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, Super Macho Man, and King Hippo on his way to a showdown with Kid Dynamite (Tyson)
Baseball Stars – First baseball game that you could play a full season and it kept stats. Fulton and I played this one for days straight.
Golf – What can’t I say about this one. Mario tearing up the linx. I loved how the golf ball got larger as it was in the air. Loved how you could play 18 in about 10 minutes.

Let the good times roll fellas…
I simply cannot choose one from this group. There are one or two that I didn't play much, but there are a handful that are in a stone cold TIE as the best, in my book.

I voted "Other" in place of "All of the Above"
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Re: Great Nintendo Sports Games

Post by Casey Fisher »

Simon Miller wrote:I simply cannot choose one from this group. There are one or two that I didn't play much, but there are a handful that are in a stone cold TIE as the best, in my book.

I voted "Other" in place of "All of the Above"
Thanks Coach. I also wanted to mention that the first time I ever played Nintendo was at your house and the first game I ever played there was Kung Fu. I rolled down the alley to your house with Vav Caps.
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

These games are ALL boombastic. When I got my wii, the first 3 old school games that I downloaded were excitebike, punch out and donkey kong. The first one was excitebike so I voted for excitebike. Dick and Floyd's had it and so did the Shady Lady too. As a matter of fact, I am going to go play punch out right now!!! Bald Bull is a dead man!

P.S. I picked up GTA4 on Tues. It is sweeeeeeet. A bit more intense than the old NES.
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Hank Rauenhorst wrote:Bald Bull is a dead man!
Make sure you give him the body shot when he does his "Bull Charge". LOL.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

all great games, but i had to vote for Excitebike!! What an addicting game!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Couple other great ones not mentioned yet are:

Jordan vs. Bird
Double Dribble
RBI Baseball
Rad Racer
RC Pro-Am