06-07 Varsity Wrestling

Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

06-07 Varsity Wrestling

Post by Jason Spoor »

Gwen Johnson wrote:We should have probably started a separate thread for the wrestling, but since we're already discussing it... ;)
I thought so too Gwen - I wasn't paying attention to the thread topic as I thought it was all varsity sports.... I was just so dang happy to start posting again!!!!

So I thought I'd start the Wrestling thread.
Gwen Johnson wrote:There seems to be an interestings phenomenon happening in north Idaho with sports. Just in the past month:
A prominent senior (male)on the Bonner Ferry varsity basketball team quit.
A prominent senior (and later his two brothers) on the St. Maries varsity basketball team quit.
Several members of the St. Maries varsity girls basketball team quit.

I've heard (though I don't know how many or who) several members of the KHS wrestling squad have quit.
I know that earlier in the season a senior member of the Wallace girls varsity basketball team quit.
It seems odd to me that whatever squabbles, tiffs, disciplinary actions (or whatever else has caused these athletes to stop playing) have taken precidence over their love of the sport. Particularly for seniors who may never have another opportunity to play on an organized team with interstate competition.
I think it's sad.

I hope they don't look back one day an regret their actions.
This is a very troubling trend and I hope it's one that starts and ends with this class of athletes (or quitters). Unless they have some kind of medical reason or serious personal reason than you can bet they will regret their actions. Who's at fault - is it the players? The parents? The Coaches? The A.D. for not putting together a more challenging season?

I want nothing more than for one of the wrestlers who stepped in for a teammate who quit, to manage to qualify for State and maybe even contend for a State championship.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

As I said, I don't know any details about our wrestlers. I'm sure it's a combination of factors that have contributed, I don't know that blame can be laid in any one place. I heard one of the senior wrestlers was able to wrestle for the first time against Timberlake because he was finally healed from an injury earlier in the season. I know another senior broke his foot or leg and is out for the rest of the season. I know several younger students (freshmen and sophomore) were wrestling against Timberlake and doing pretty well. As I mentioned, they've just come off long trip to American Falls for a big tournament, the George Wild Invitational is here next weekend...perhaps I can get some more information for you then.
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I just wanted to say congrats and good luck to the elite 8 that will be representing KHS at state this year.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is a list of your 2007 state qualifiers for the 50th annual Idaho State Wrestling Championships:

Grappler - class - weight class - 2007 overall record

ZACH PICKERING - Frosh - 103 - 16-23

RYAN DURICK - Soph - 112 - 14-16

DONNE MADSEN - Senior - 125 - 9-5

PRESTON O'NEILL - Junior - 130 - 28-8

WILL YERGLER - Senior - 135 (#2) - 22-3

JACOB NORRIS - Frosh - 145 - 23-14

TIM WHITMAN - Senior - 215 - 7-4

STEVEN FRANK - Senior - 285 - 21-9

i'll try to figure out the seedings a bit later. I don't think they are determined by a random drawing. :roll:
Last edited by Jason Spoor on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Thanks for the update Roops. I assume that Wrestling State is this weekend?
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

The first matches start the 22nd
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I find it alarming how many high school kids are quitting their respective sports. It's almost like sports aren't important to kids anymore. This is scary. I am not perfect, but I am a better person because of high school sports. A lot of things I learned from high shcool sports(commitment, perserverance, respect), I didn't realize I had, until further down the road. These are qualities I fear some of our kids are losing. Parents need to step up and hold their kids accountable and more importantly the kids need to hold themselves accountable. If you start something, finish it. Even if it isn't always fun.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Jason
Thanks for posting the information about the wrestlers going to state. I'd just learned that 8 Wildcats had qualified for state, but I didn't have their names or weight classes.
Good luck to the elite 8!
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Matt, very well said! Of course we know and knew u arent and werent perfect! :D . Just kidding! Anyway, you couldnt have said it any better. It is very sad that kids dont have the pride and determination to do the best they can through a whole season and get to the ultimate goal, a State Championship, no matter what the hardships are. It just isnt important to a select group of student athletes these days. and it starts at the top, from the Pros, to Collegiate, to High School. Hopefully one day it turn around.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

I'm going to do my best to give a run down of each wrestler with current seeds. I'm not sure how the bracket works but I've got a good idea of the rankings so IMO the rankings are correct. I'll put the ranking next to the weight class:

ZACH PICKERING - Frosh - 103 (#8 ) - 16-23

If Zach wins his first match against Danny Sanches (10-17) of Weiser he will likely have the task of knocking off the #1 103 pounder, Otto Phillips (38-1) of Salmon. This, of course, is his first time at State.

RYAN DURICK - Soph - 112 (#8 ) - 14-16

Like Zach, if Ryan wins his first match against Tyler Young (4-6) of Weiser he too will face the #1 seeded wrestler in Josh Morris (34-2) of Mountain View. Last year Ryan finished 1-2 at State while wrestling at 103.

DONNE MADSEN - Senior - 125(#11) - 9-5

Donne has a 1st round match against Julio Regalado (28-8 ) of Fruitland. In 2006 Madsen went 0-2 at State while wrestling at 125. In 2005 Madsen went 0-2 at State while wrestling at 119. In 2004 Madsen finished with a 1-2 record while wrestling at 112, eventualy being eliminated by teammate Michael Ryan.

PRESTON O'NEILL - Junior - 130(#3) - 28-8

Preston will wrestle Jake Wilson (13-13) of Weiser in his 1st match. In 2006 Preston finished with a 2-2 record, losing his initial match to the eventual State Champion at 130.

WILL YERGLER - Senior - 135(#6) - 22-3

Will faces Luis Villa (15-20) of American Falls(AF?) in his 1st match. It appears this is Yerglers first trip to State which may be why, despite his overall record, he is only ranked #6 - here's to hoping he plays spoiler!

JACOB NORRIS - Frosh - 145(#8 ) - 23-14

A first match win against fellow Frosh Damion Reynolds (13-14) of Payette could lead to a matchup against the #1 ranked Kolby Van Orden (34-8 ) of Snake River.

TIM WHITMAN - Senior - 215(#10) - 7-4

Whitman has a first round match against Jake Busby (24-8 ) of Buhl. I believe this is Tim's first trip to State.

STEVEN FRANK - Senior - 285(#3) - 21-9

Stevens first match is against Jesse Aguilar (11-21) of FRU. Frank went 3-3 in 2006 where he lost a tough OT match against the 3rd place finisher. Two of his loses last year were to the same wrestler, Amador Cortinas of Homedale, who is a Junior this year and rated #1 at HVW this year.
Last edited by Jason Spoor on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

According to the Shoshone News-Press, 11 Wildcat wrestlers have qualified for state:
3 were district champions:
Zack Pickering (103)
Will Yergler (135)
Jacob Norris (145)

4 took second at districts (no weight classes given in the paper):
Ryan Durick
Donne Madsen
Preston O'Neill
Steve Frank

1 was third at districts:
Tim Whitman (215)

and 3 finished in fourth at districts:
James Hogan (135)
Kyle Hudson (171)
Court Alfrey (189)

Congratulations to all who qualified for state!
:D
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Gwen Johnson wrote:Jason
Thanks for posting the information about the wrestlers going to state. I'd just learned that 8 Wildcats had qualified for state, but I didn't have their names or weight classes.
Good luck to the elite 8!
My pleasure Gwen - i'm going to try to keep everyone updated on how each mactch turns out. I'm not sure how many people are interested in wrestling but I think a 3rd place finish at State wrestling trumps a #1 state finish in basketball/baseball/football. It's one thing to be a part of the best "team" in the state but these kids are competing for the #1 spot, period.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

ZACH PICKERING - Frosh - 103 (#8 ) - 16-23

Zach won his first match at state - beating Danny Sanches by major decision 12-0. His next match will be against top seed Otto Phillips of Salmon
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

RYAN DURICK - Soph - 112 (#8 ) - 14-16

Ryan lost his first match via fall at 3.36 - his next match will be against Cameron Clark (8-16) of Declo(?) - i'm not sure who DEC represents.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

DONNE MADSEN - Senior - 125(#11) - 9-5

Donne lost his first match via fall at 1.22 - his next match will be against Brian Faria (11-14) of Filer.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

PRESTON O'NEILL - Junior - 130(#3) - 28-8

Preston won his first match via 8-4 decision. His next match will be against Tyson Ward (33-7) of Bear Lake.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

WILL YERGLER - Senior - 135(#6) - 22-3

Will won his first match via decision 9-3 - his next match is against Tucker Lierman (33-12) of Kimberly.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

JACOB NORRIS - Frosh - 145(#8 ) - 23-14

Jacob lost his first match via major decision 19-8 - his next match is against Jaiman Wilcox (13-15) of Kimberly.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

TIM WHITMAN - Senior - 215(#10) - 7-4

Tim lost his first match via fall at 2.45 - his next match is against Nick Martin (16-17) of Snake River.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

STEVEN FRANK - Senior - 285(#3) - 21-9

Steven won his first match via fall at 5.57 - his next match will be against Cody Bloom (34-6) of American Falls.