Football

Come here to discuss everything from Golf to WWE.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Football

Post by Mike Nordin »

I know this season is almost over but for an ongoing thread I thought I would start a Football subject.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Question:
1. Which two teams will advance to the Superbowl?
2. Who would you like to advance to the Superbowl?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I would like to see Indy vs. Chicago in the Superbowl... I am hoping that Peyton Manning gets his ring this year so bad. He needs to win it or he will always be grouped in that great QB class who have never won a ring... I really hope the Colts pull it off...

However, how can you not pull for the Saints. I wouldn't mind seeing them win it either.

I wouldn't mind if the Bears won it, just so people would shut up about Rex Grossman. I've never seen the media blow something up so much in my life. I would like to see him get the revenge and then the media would be eating a crow sandwich.

The only team I don't want to see win it is New England. Tom Brady is a great quarterback, but the comparisons to Joe Montana etc. are just ludacris in my opinion. And if he wins his 4th ring, I think I will get sick to my stomach...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

I agree with Rocktober for the most part. Here is my ordered list, going from most preferred to not as preferred.

1. Colts: Payton Manning deserves it. Plain and simple. He is a student of the game, a competitor, and a hard working guy.
2. Saints: Great "feel good" story. Phoenix rising from the ashes. Reggie Bush taking a paycut to go from USC to the NFL. (sorry I couldn't resist)
3. Patriots: As dominant of a program the NFL has seen in a long time. Belichick, like him or not is a master. Brady isn't my favorite QB, but he was groomed by my homeboy Charlie Weis.
4. Bears: This is the only team I am not excited about. Early in the year all the Bear "fans" came out of the woodwork and dug out their Bear shirts, hats, etc. The media labeled the Bears as world beaters and the best team ever. It was ridiculous.

Either way, I am disappointed that the battered Seahawks couldn't pull off a huge win last week. They can hang with any of these teams.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good points Golf Coach... And you are right in that it sure is disappointing that the Hawks are not playing tomorrow. It makes me not even really want to watch the games....
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I agree with coach on the Bears fans. I'm cheering for the Colts.
Colts 34 bears 24
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Simon Miller wrote:2. Saints: Great "feel good" story. Phoenix rising from the ashes. Reggie Bush taking a paycut to go from USC to the NFL. (sorry I couldn't resist)
I'm not going to admit how long it took me to find the humor in this but I've got to give you some major props Coach - That is funny stuff!!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Jason Spoor wrote:
Simon Miller wrote:2. Saints: Great "feel good" story. Phoenix rising from the ashes. Reggie Bush taking a paycut to go from USC to the NFL. (sorry I couldn't resist)
I'm not going to admit how long it took me to find the humor in this but I've got to give you some major props Coach - That is funny stuff!!!
LOL Roops. I wondered if that little nugget would ever come to fruition.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

What's a person to do today? Today is the first Sunday without NFL Football on in 20 weeks!!! It's hard for me to treat my Sunday as a day of rest without any pigskin to watch...
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Casey Fisher wrote:What's a person to do today? Today is the first Sunday without NFL Football on in 20 weeks!!! It's hard for me to treat my Sunday as a day of rest without any pigskin to watch...
So you decided to go to work instead?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:What's a person to do today? Today is the first Sunday without NFL Football on in 20 weeks!!! It's hard for me to treat my Sunday as a day of rest without any pigskin to watch...
Rock,

You could always go to the Figure Skating Championships, as they are in Spokompton right? :wink:
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Well, I didn't go to work or the figure skating championships... I watched the movie "Invincible" so I could get some pigskin in. If any of you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it. Roops, I hope you've watched it by now since it was sitting on your floor last time I was over.... Also, "We are Marshall" is unbelievably good as well...
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Colts 34 bears 24
Was I the closest?[/quote]
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Casey
My husband and I watched both Invincible and We Are Marshall in the theaters. We enjoyed both movies. They are quite good. He also just got Gridiron Gang on DVD for his birthday. It's not bad either...at least worth a rental. :)
One more week of football (Pro Bowl) and then it's a long wait until the 07-08 season starts. :(
The NFL Super Bowl commercial says it all... Some people have a hard time saying goodbye. ;)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Yep, I will definitely have a hard time saying goodbye until September 2007...

Gwen, that is awesome that you saw both of those two movies at the theater. I did too. I bought "Invincible" and will do the same when "We are Marshall" comes out. I would put "Invincible" in my top 15 sports movies of all-time and would put "We are Marshall" in my top 5... I plan on renting "Gridiron Gang" here in the next few weeks when I have time.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Weis,

How did Jimmy Clausen's medical procedure on his elbow go? Will this delay the start to his Freshman season?
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:Weis,

How did Jimmy Clausen's medical procedure on his elbow go? Will this delay the start to his Freshman season?
There is much speculation amongst the Irish Nation regarding ND's latest "Golden Boy," Jimmy Clausen and the "procedure" he just had done on his elbow. Weis is being tight lipped for a myriad of reasons, mainly I know he wants to keep opposing coaches guessing when preparing for ND. Here is a run down on the QB race at ND: (ranked my projected depth chart come practice time)

1. Demetrius Jones- This guy is ND's version of Vince Young/Michael Vick/Donovan McNabb, but possibly with a better arm and more accuracy. Weis has stated multiple times he is "intrigued" with what Jones brings to the table. Jones is my pick to be the starter this year. He is extremely mobile and has a good arm.

2. Jimmy Clausen- most hyped QB recruit since Ron Powlus. I hope he lives up to the hype better than Powlus. The procedure could set him back, but time will tell.

3. Evan Sharpley- The only QB on the roster with game experience at ND. He took a handful of garbage time snaps this year and threw the ball maybe 5 times. I have heard that Sharpley has the best grasp of the Weis offense, but I still don't see him beating out Clausen and Jones.

4. Zach Frazer- Evidently after Weis announced his dept chart at the end of Spring ball, Zach was #4, which prompted him to ask for permission to transfer. Clausen's recent procedure may change that however, as that changes the entire dynamic of the QB race.

ND also has another huge QB prospect on the recruiting radar and will be back to having a stable full of top 10 QBs before long. In Weis we trust!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Excellent analysis Weis...

Any plans to redshirt Clausen if he is not ready to go at the beginning of the year?

Not to disagree with you, but Demetris Jones has a "better arm than Michael Vick?" I don't think there's many if any even in the NFL that can claim this.

What year is Demetrius? Will there be a QB controversy for the next couple years or will they use him in a Antwon Randal-El role when Jimmy is ready to rock?

Is it September yet? I can't wait...
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Notre Dame who????
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Casey Fisher wrote:Excellent analysis Weis...

Any plans to redshirt Clausen if he is not ready to go at the beginning of the year?

Not to disagree with you, but Demetris Jones has a "better arm than Michael Vick?" I don't think there's many if any even in the NFL that can claim this.

What year is Demetrius? Will there be a QB controversy for the next couple years or will they use him in a Antwon Randal-El role when Jimmy is ready to rock?

Is it September yet? I can't wait...
Rock,

When I say "better" arm, I don't mean just arm strength, I mean accuracy too, and I meant Vick in college, not now. But he has yet to take a snap so the jury is still out. There is concern that he doesn't fit the "drop back" mold, but if the ND O line is as porous as it was last year having a mobile type QB might be a good option.

ND doesn't redshirt, but they allow kids to apply for a 5th year of eligibility if they didn't play as Freshmen. In essence it still results in the same thing, but ND refuses to call it Redshirting. But it is possible given the "procedure" on Jimmy's arm.